Quantcast

Mountain Board or BMX

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
So heres the deal, I purchased a mountain board about two months ago. It cost $360. But now i am becoming skeptical as to whether or not i want to keep it, or put money into my bmx, and send the mountain board back. So has anybody ever been mountain boarding? Is it worth it? Or should i just stick to BMX and put the money into my bike?

I dont want to unwrap the mountain board to find that it is not as fun as it seems.

Thanks for any input, i know its a dumb question and i should be able to figure it out on my own, but I am just unsure as to what to do.:imstupid:

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I think they're dumb. I mean really, you cant pedal them, they're a lot hard to push than a skateboard, its not gonna carve like a snowboard...

I guess if you had the right place to ride it (downhill, wide enough to carve, etc) then it might be fun. Look around on the internet and see if theres anyone in your area who's into it.

Formermtboarder on here used to ride one. He enjoyed it. I enjoyed watching him crash all the time. He was forced to stop when he finally knocked himself the fvck out right in his front yard.

plus...think of all the sweet upgrades $360 will get your bmx bike.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
I agree with him.....unless you have a place to ride the damn thing....it's not worth it. I think Biking is much more fun anyway. At least with a bike you can pedal up the hill and get more exercise. Besides i think you'll go faster on the bike and be able to do more tricks on the same slope that mtn board goes down.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
It seems this is a unanimous decision, the mountain board goes back. I will also be recieving danscomp gift certificates from both my grandma and parents, which should be about another $100, so $460 to spend on bike stuff.

As long as we are on the topic of buying bmx stuff, what do you guys think of the Tree Hot Bars, and the Primo Kamikaze Forks? Both come with life time warranties.

Bars - http://www.danscomp.com/362352.php

Forks - http://www.danscomp.com/353275.php?cat=PARTS

Any input on any good aftermarket frames as well would be appreciated.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Agreed. Check out one of these beasts instead

Dont worry, you can take the kickstand off. You wouldn't wanna look lame or anything.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i vote no mountain board. i've seen people doing them on a 4X course that is semi-local, it was ridiculous. why would you spend your time on a mountain board when you could spend it on a bike that is faster and more versatile. i've heard the tree hot bars are nice from some local guys, the threaded bar ends are cool too. as for the fork, maybe stick with S&M, that's what most people around here seem to swear by, though a lot of them are eying the odyssey directors.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Check the 2-6 site for the new line at Hidden Mikey.:eek:
That sh!t is crazy. We started taking our trails to the next level this past week. The little setup jump ain't so little anymore. It should definitely scare off some of the randoms that have been showing up lately.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
That sh!t is crazy. We started taking our trails to the next level this past week. The little setup jump ain't so little anymore. It should definitely scare off some of the randoms that have been showing up lately.
Nice. We def learned the best way to keep the trails for the real riders/diggers, was to make the entrance to the lines way tech, or way big.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
why would you get a mountain board...?

sorry, but they are one of the least practical wheeled objects i've ever seen. i tried one out a few years ago at a friends and it just didn't work for me.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Ok I bought a mountain board a long ass time ago, and it was the worst money spent. Look on YouTube for videos of people doing it. Even the best mountain boarders have trouble controlling it. They are lame and stupid, and to be amazing at it, you still arn't that cool.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
why would you get a mountain board...?

sorry, but they are one of the least practical wheeled objects i've ever seen. i tried one out a few years ago at a friends and it just didn't work for me.
I purchased a mountain board because in my backyard, 20 feet away from my back door, i have a 10 foot tall roll in, to a 5.5 foot tall table top, to a 4 foot tall berm to a 3.5 foot tall trick jump. Thought it could be cool, but now that i think about, this would be the only place to ride it.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Mountain boards are boring...

If you have ever been snowboarding, snowboarding is like 10 times better at least. They are heavy, so they're not easy to whip around, and they just don't handle that well, even if your pretty good. It especially stinks if you don't have anywhere to ride them. Put that money into your bmx bike, and get better at bmx.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
ok, then mountain boarding would suck, because i absolutely hate snowboarding, i find it to not be that challenging. I am not trying to make fun of people that snowboard, but ya. You just shouldn't be able to learn to snowboard at 11 in the morning and be bustin out 360's by 2 in the afternoon. Sorry, i just hate snowboarding.:disgust1:

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
Oh all of you go to hell, heh. Yes their stupid and impractical, but their also fun as hell. Hopefully you got a mbs? Which board was it, core or comp? Their stupid but god are they fun. If you find a good hill to blast down their the jam too, good solid channel trucks provide more control and if you can get carving down you can rock out.

I say keep it and ride it and see if you like, but chances are if you hate snowboarding you wont like the mtnboard much better. I originally bought one to get better at snowboarding so yea.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
no, i looked at mbs, but then found another company. I bought a ground industries patrol 106. It has bionic trucks and talon bindings. But ya, i still think i am going to return it because it is not very practical. I am only 16, so i cant be constantly driving 30 miles to the ski hill, and riding on my backyard course can only be so much fun.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
One of the weirdest and lamest posts I have read. Similar to me saying I found out I was good at downhill so I hate it now, I'd rather find a sport I suck at.... odd.

ok, then mountain boarding would suck, because i absolutely hate snowboarding, i find it to not be that challenging. I am not trying to make fun of people that snowboard, but ya. You just shouldn't be able to learn to snowboard at 11 in the morning and be bustin out 360's by 2 in the afternoon. Sorry, i just hate snowboarding.:disgust1:

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
One of the weirdest and lamest posts I have read. Similar to me saying I found out I was good at downhill so I hate it now, I'd rather find a sport I suck at.... odd.
I dont want this thread to turn into a flame fest. All i was saying, is i like sports to be challenging, that is why i do bmx. Why would i snowboard when it just comes so easily to me. But hey, every one is different, so this philosophy could be different in your eyes.:biggrin:

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
I suppose I'm just a random here since I randomed into your thread.
I have a mtboard and it is pretty fun, but lately I have been mountain biking summers and getting into technical stuff on that instead of riding the mountainboard.

Like formermtboarder, I got it to improve my snowboarding. I been snowboarding for 8 years now and still haven't pulled a 360. So to summarize, I hate you.

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I dont want this thread to turn into a flame fest. All i was saying, is i like sports to be challenging, that is why i do bmx. Why would i snowboard when it just comes so easily to me. But hey, every one is different, so this philosophy could be different in your eyes.:biggrin:
you are obviously looking for a response so if you are that good why no go pro and then in the off season you could ride bmx and still be rich....

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Different strokes for different folks. If you find any sport to be easy, you aren't pushing yourself. I find it easy to do a big lofty 180 on skis, or tweek a grab off a 80ft booter. I don't find it easy to cork a 900, or do rails. Guaranteed there is challenges in every sport, it is all what you make of it. I personally don't have anything invested in you becoming the next Shaun White, I just thought it an odd philosophy.