Quantcast

Mountain Creek (Diablo Bike Park) for sale

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
The thought of Diablo closing just blows. I hope the new owners realize the revenue the bike park generates and keeps it open. If not we should have a fund raiser and buy Diablo. On a brighter note I am glad I waited on buying that season pass.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/news/news/Intrawest-May-Auction-Off-Resorts,60

Intrawest May Auction Off Resorts

bturman
1/20/2010 11:39 PM
From the sounds of things, creditors holding $1,400,000,000 ($1.4 billion!) of debt on Intrawest are planning to foreclose on the company within the next week and a half. Intrawest currently owns more than a dozen resorts, including Whistler, Winter Park, Panorama, Snowshoe, and Mountain Creek (think Diablo Bike Park). Any number of these resorts may be auctioned off to pay the outstanding debt.

What does this mean for your favorite bike parks? Only time will tell. If it's in your budget, we'd love to see a mountain biker pick up a resort or three

From Google / The Canadian Press:

Lenders threaten auction of Olympic ski resort but officials say Games to go on

VANCOUVER, B.C. — Lenders have moved to auction off the assets of Intrawest ULC, including the Whistler ski resort that will be home to the Olympic downhill races next month.

Intrawest said it will be "business as usual," despite the possibility the high-end B.C. resort could be on the auction block even as Olympic athletes grace its slopes.

And Olympic organizers said they're confident that the Games will go on.

Dan Doyle, executive vice-president of construction for the organizing committee, known as VANOC, said the venues in Whistler are ready.

"It doesn't make very good business sense for people to put them out of business at the time of the year when they're making their most earnings," Doyle told reporters in Vancouver following the local organizing committee's final board meeting before the Games.

Doyle said bankruptcy doesn't happen overnight.

"It's a long process, it's a process that takes months. Given all of that, we're very confident that the Games will go on at those two venues in Whistler, and they'll go on with the co-operation of the people that are running the mountain," he said, noting that Games organizers have sought legal advice on the situation.

Whistler Mountain will host the alpine skiing events, while the sister mountain Blackcomb is the site of the sliding centre. Both mountains are in the Intrawest resort.

Nordic events are also taking place in Whistler at a site not owned by Intrawest.

A public notice has been posted in newspapers by the company's lenders saying that an auction to sell the assets will be held on Feb. 19, right in the midst of the Olympics, which begin Feb. 12.

Vancouver-based Intrawest, which is owned by private equity firm Fortress Investment Group LLC, reportedly missed payments last month that were due on a US$1.4-billion loan.

The group of lenders, which includes Lehman Brothers and Davidson Kempner, hope for a speedy sale of Intrawest in one transaction.

"Each qualified bidder must be a financial institution or other entity that has the financial wherewithal to purchase the membership interests in immediately available funds on the closing date," the public auction notice said.

The sale includes more than a dozen resort properties including Mont Tremblant in Quebec, Steamboat and Winter Park in Colorado and Squaw Valley in California.

Calls to Intrawest were not returned but the company said in a statement that they are looking forward to the success of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games next month.

"Fortress Investment Group continues to own and control Intrawest and all of its properties. Serious discussions with Intrawest's lenders are ongoing regarding refinancing and the company continues to operate 'business as usual' at all of its resort properties," the company said in a statement released Wednesday.

Members of the Vancouver Olympic organizing committee denied a report that they were going to withhold the money they owe Intrawest for use of the mountain.

Intrawest has been struggling with financial problems since it was bought by Fortress in 2006 for US$2.8 billion in cash and debt.

The deal was a leveraged buyout with a $1.7-billion loan which came due in late 2008, around the time when the financial meltdown hit.

Around that time, travellers also began to tighten their budgets and cancel vacation plans, which squeezed the entire industry.

In reaction, many of Intrawest's resorts significantly slashed their prices to encourage more visitors.

Last summer, chief executive Bill Jensen told a ski industry conference that signs of a recovery wouldn't likely appear until the 2011-12 season.

Intrawest has sold several assets in order to meet the payments, including a resort at Copper Mountain, Colo., and two resorts in France.

In December, the company said it was in an "active dialogue" with its lenders after rumours began surfacing that the company was about to default.

Copyright © 2010 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Source: Google News/The Canadian Press and VitalMTB's Kidwoo

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Let's stop this before it starts. Yes, Intrawest is being sold. Whoever is going to pony up for the resorts more than likely will not interfere with the day to day operations. Diablo still has several years left on their on their contract, which will more than likely be honored.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
maybe they'll just close the waterpark and we'll have room in the parking lot next year...it's ridiculous! i came out last year and my truck was parked in...not to mention it was a mile and a half away...

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
i know, i know...i have a bad feeling about that, i don't think they'll ever open for bikes. the terrain would probably make for some great riding too. the company who bought swain already own a mountain that opens for bikes in the summer. i've been there and it sucks but it's close...and they were open from 11 to 7. you could sleep in and still get a full day in!

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
i was there alot cause it was so close even if we did the diablo or platty trip on sat we would go 2 swain on sunday, i went to denton the last day it was open lets just say its an option if weather is bad at a real park

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Didn't I hear that the Diablo franchise just rents the hill space from the mountain? As long as the hill is there and the park brings in money the current owner will surely not interfere.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
for Real :clapping:

Edit: I wish Intrawest the best of luck along with Mountain creek. I can't say that for the people that currently run Diablow.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Didn't I hear that the Diablo franchise just rents the hill space from the mountain? As long as the hill is there and the park brings in money the current owner will surely not interfere.
they do rent the mountain for the summer, but if the mountain is sold, any contract could be null and void, leaving diablo SOL

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
they do rent the mountain for the summer, but if the mountain is sold, any contract could be null and void, leaving diablo SOL
Wrong. A solid contract, and operating agreement are in place and if a sale of the resort were to ever take place these agreements take precedence and cannot simply be canceled, null or void.

We just finished our most successful season to date posting another record breaking year of attendance. The 2009 season was a huge success on all fronts and as a result, it is business as usual with planning well underway for the 2010 season. Opening day May 1st!

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Wrong. A solid contract, lease and operating agreement are in place and if a sale of the resort where to ever take place these agreements are not affected. It's business as usual and planning for 2010 is in full force.
i said COULD be. i thought trolls could read.
so can we add your events to the race calendar?

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
Wrong. A solid contract, and operating agreement are in place and if a sale of the resort were to ever take place these agreements take precedence and cannot simply be canceled, null or void.

We just finished our most successful season to date posting another record breaking year of attendance. The 2009 season was a huge success on all fronts and as a result, it is business as usual with planning well underway for the 2010 season. Opening day May 1st!

Good to hear - Hope you have a great 2010 - I wish you guys could some how pick up one of the Gravity East Race dates and Deal with USAC for just one event I think it would get really good attendance. From what is trickling down the grapevine, GES is spread all over the East, South and North which is going to hurt all the mountains that have been supporting the local racers and race scene for the past 5 years.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Shaun....UCI points. Do it. You know you like to take a different path than the rest. Do it. Doooooo eeeeettttt!
Within the US, UCI only recognizes USAC sanctioned events. In order to host a UCI points race, they would have to start sanctioning their events through USAC.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
The two-thirds mountain!!!

You get off the lift, there are some good trails (some very flat), you get about 2/3's of the way down and it is either the Indycross course on one side or bomb straight down a fire road under the lift on the other. Nothing else.

Amazing what they have done with a small mountain by building features but then it is over.