Quantcast

mountain creek race

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
so i'm considering going. though the $60 tab for just the riding alone kinda scares me... (as well as the pics i've seen on their website)

so i need some advice. how insane is this course? are there lots of drops? if so, are there ride-arounds? do they have a separate course for beginner and expert? if you've ridden there and seen me ride, will i die?

also, lodging. do most people camp? get a hotel room? something else?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
The Mt. Creek race is a little different from most races; both the Amateur class and Pro class use the same course and from all I heard, last year's race course was not hard or likely to cause death. Also, the $60 lets you ride the other non-racecourse trails all weekend, so there's a little more bang for your buck.

A bunch of us are camping nearby but I think there are hotel rooms and such.... you'll probably get more fun and drunker if you camp out. ;)

I haven't ridden there so I dunno exactly what the course is like. But I'm sure you could handle it and it'll be a fun-ass trip regardless...

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
Originally posted by DßR
The Mt. Creek race is a little different from most races; both the Amateur class and Pro class use the same course and from all I heard, last year's race course was not hard or likely to cause death. Also, the $60 lets you ride the other non-racecourse trails all weekend, so there's a little more bang for your buck.

A bunch of us are camping nearby but I think there are hotel rooms and such.... you'll probably get more fun and drunker if you camp out. ;)

I haven't ridden there so I dunno exactly what the course is like. But I'm sure you could handle it and it'll be a fun-ass trip regardless...
well then i guess i'd better invest in some camping gear, eh? i wonder if i could bring the dog... hrm...

banche

Monkey
Jul 21, 2003
BANNED FOR LIFE
you'll be ok, if the registation isn't already filled up! milby and i got a room for once!!!i just hope him,and his wife remember i'm there at night so i don't get a show,although that might be nice if they don't!!free entertainment, ha ha!!! but i wouldn't bring your dog, most places frown upon something like that when there is a race of this magnatude. see you guys there!!!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I'll be there.

I would NOT bring your dog. One of the things I noticed when I moved to VA is that dogs can run free w/o a leash at most parks, whereas in NJ that is a BIG no-no. Not that people don't like dogs, just that with the larger amount of people there are more accidents waiting to happen.

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
Originally posted by Matt D
I'll be there.

I would NOT bring your dog. One of the things I noticed when I moved to VA is that dogs can run free w/o a leash at most parks, whereas in NJ that is a BIG no-no. Not that people don't like dogs, just that with the larger amount of people there are more accidents waiting to happen.
um, there is no way in hell i would have my dog around a DH event with no leash... he would either be on his leash attached to me while i'm not riding/racing, or on his leash attached to some poor sucker i conned into watching him while i ride/race ;)

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
just to give u a heads up on the race course i rode last year, there's not a lot of drops but it makes your bike creek after. Mtn creek is rough and technical riding ya know. Lots of loose rock and rock gardens. other trails has some ladders and doubles and some new kickers. Pretty much this place will rock u but i love plattekill better b/c plattekill has a mix of things like drops,jumps,technical,chutes,roots and it's STEEPER guys. Hey what's it like in snowshoe b/c couple of my buddies will be there memorial day weekend. I heard it's like plattekill which is badass then huh.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by TankerX
just to give u a heads up on the race course i rode last year, there's not a lot of drops but it makes your bike creek after. Mtn creek is rough and technical riding ya know. Lots of loose rock and rock gardens. other trails has some ladders and doubles and some new kickers. Pretty much this place will rock u but i love plattekill better b/c plattekill has a mix of things like drops,jumps,technical,chutes,roots and it's STEEPER guys. Hey what's it like in snowshoe b/c couple of my buddies will be there memorial day weekend. I heard it's like plattekill which is badass then huh.
Who told you it's like P-kill? Because it's not.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
K,

In the past years I have had season passes to both P-kill and MC, so

1) Mount Creek will will beat the snot out of your bike. Think rock gardens full of rocks that don't move! Fun place but if you go down your choices of soft landing is limited. I have donated alot of bike parts to that mountain. It is pretty steep but not crazy steep (well maybe a few spots). It is rocky! Think along the lines of the bottom part of the expert course at Wintergreen (Banche trail?) mixed in with the off camber stuff of evolution in the shed. Mostly the rocks stay put but there are a few loose sections on the fireroads and there are also the dreaded off camber snow pipes that make things interesting. Not that rooty. As for lodging, it has 2 off site camp grounds that are nice and the hotels are decent but can become pricey.

2) Snowshoe.............been ther only to race so I would say only have limited experience with the mountain. Mostly the mountain is made of mud and roots with some rocks thrown in for good measure. It is LONG and can be steep in sections. It does have drop offs. Expect rain and mud in the summer! Lodging......think 5 star resort, something for everyone!

3) Platty, ah my birthplace of mountain biking! Platty is different b/c the mountain is mostly made of shale. So the rocks are flat, sharp and move under you. The roots there have teeth and I really think they throw raw meat at them the night before the race. Seriously, though, since the rocks move with you it is relatively safe but you armor and clothes get torn up. It is really steep ( the kind of steep that gets you in the stomach) in comparison (of steepness), the dealth trail and evolution are considered mild. It is mostly muddy and the temp flucuates (sp) greatly. One day it could be 70 and sunny the next snowing. Ice forming on the rooty sections is always a nice eye opener during morning practice! I saw it snow there in early Oct! Overall it is a great mountain and hands down the best I rode to date. You can ride there for 2 days and not be on the same trail twice (well almost). As far as lodging it is mostly camping. Camping conditions? Think of band of brothers 82nd airborne in the Arden woods of France! Basically take the top area of wintergreen, minus houses and you have the camping area of platty. No showers or bathrooms. If you are feeling particularly sassy and have a strong stomach, you can try to use the 1 johnny on the spot in the camp ground ( that serves 150 people easily!)Hotels are reasonable around there but they are dumps. Really no party life if you do not camp. If you do camp, you have a good chance of seeing either 1) someone nekid 2) firejumping 3) all of the above!

Just MHO based on riding at these places for the last 7 or so years!

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
Originally posted by SDH
K,

In the past years I have had season passes to both P-kill and MC, so

(snip)

Just MHO based on riding at these places for the last 7 or so years!
as usual, you are the king of informative :)

i'll probably hold off on platte until next year, but i'm planning on hitting mountain creek memorial day and snowshoe for norba (xc and dh) and then snowshoe again the following weekend for 24hours. ack.

re: port-a-johns, nothing can beat the 20 stalls that served all 2500 riders the year i did the AIDS ride. that sh*t don't scare me ;)

re: campfire shennanigans, i'll bring a video camera for future blackmail purposes ;)

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Originally posted by kirstin
as usual, you are the king of informative :)

i'll probably hold off on platte until next year, but i'm planning on hitting mountain creek memorial day and snowshoe for norba (xc and dh) and then snowshoe again the following weekend for 24hours. ack.

re: port-a-johns, nothing can beat the 20 stalls that served all 2500 riders the year i did the AIDS ride. that sh*t don't scare me ;)

re: campfire shennanigans, i'll bring a video camera for future blackmail purposes ;)
Nah, you need to hit platty. There are tame runs there. Some are really fun! But you can test your mettle there if you wish. Plus, ther you will see the bigger turn outs especially women riders. You NEED to hit up Platty once, trust me. On a race weekend, it is like mountain biking meets woodstock!

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
YEASSSS, WAS THERE LAST WEEK AND THEY HAVE NEW TRAILS NOW BUT I THINK IT NEEDS MORE WORK. THEY HAVE A COUPLE OF LADDERS BUT I STILL LOVE THE OLD SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN(BROKEN TOOTH TRAIL)

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
You can still access the old side of the mtn, no? Requires a little pedalling but I hope it's still opened and maintained, or it was last summer....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
So, I just decided to drag my azz up to the US Open from SC.
Are most of you guys camping?
I either need to fine a place to stay or buy some camping gear.
I can't pass up the 3 days of riding before Snowshoe.;)

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Jeremy R
So, I just decided to drag my azz up to the US Open from SC.
Are most of you guys camping?
I either need to fine a place to stay or buy some camping gear.
I can't pass up the 3 days of riding before Snowshoe.;)
a bunch of us are camping at Wawayanda park or something like that :confused:. I think there'll be hotel rooms available though; I think banche has one? Camping's always more fun tho....

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Waywayanda (sp?) is a good choice. We used to XC ride there all the time, they had some nice trails from what I can remember, but it's been about 6 years since I rode there.

Only about 20 minutes or so from MC if I recall.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by DßR
a bunch of us are camping at Wawayanda park or something like that :confused:. I think there'll be hotel rooms available though; I think banche has one? Camping's always more fun tho....
Sweet.
I will try to camp there as well.
Are you gonna be up there Thursday night?
I should be up there hopefully before dark.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Jeremy R
Sweet.
I will try to camp there as well.
Are you gonna be up there Thursday night?
I should be up there hopefully before dark.
I think we're coming up on Friday early in the a.m., probably won't hit the campsite until after practice so Friday afternoon....

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
Originally posted by DßR
I think we're coming up on Friday early in the a.m., probably won't hit the campsite until after practice so Friday afternoon....
hey, what time are you planning on leaving friday am? would it be OK if i played tailgate party with you? we could meet up somewhere convenient, i guess...

also, what kind of stuff will i need for camping? i have a sleeping bag, and i guess i would need to bring a pillow. is there anything else i would need, other than a tent?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm jealous of you guys kinda....
I would have loved to come down and watch the race. I live really close but I'll be in MD this weekend.

Hope you have fun. Mtn Creek is GREAT!!

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Originally posted by kirstin
hey, what time are you planning on leaving friday am? would it be OK if i played tailgate party with you? we could meet up somewhere convenient, i guess...

also, what kind of stuff will i need for camping? i have a sleeping bag, and i guess i would need to bring a pillow. is there anything else i would need, other than a tent?
BEER

Always makes a camping trip a little better! ;-)

Oh, bug spray and TP are very essential