Quantcast

Mountain Cycle San Andreas

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Hey was looking for reviews. Was going to trade a local buddy and SDG seat and a hub conversion for this MC San Andreas. Friend says its 2006-2008. Comes with cranks, pedals, shock, seat post and a few other odds and ends. I need a new soft tail XC/AM bike. So I figured this could be a good opportunity.
Any opinions on how these MC ride and perform.

Thanks.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
People seemed to rate them, but I owned an MC Shockwave back in the early days and thought there were better options out there even then. Apart from being hideous, it cracked in over 9000 places, had pretty awful geometry and was generally just a terrible bike.

Granted, if all it's costing you is a seat and a hub conversion, then maybe it won't hurt to try because it sounds like it's essentially free - and that's probably the only way I'd have another one. Just be wary of cracks because MC's are notorious for them and it'd be a shame to hurt yourself even over a freebie.

Aug 25, 2011
People seemed to rate them, but I owned an MC Shockwave back in the early days and thought there were better options out there even then. Apart from being hideous, it cracked in over 9000 places, had pretty awful geometry and was generally just a terrible bike.

Granted, if all it's costing you is a seat and a hub conversion, then maybe it won't hurt to try because it sounds like it's essentially free - and that's probably the only way I'd have another one. Just be wary of cracks because MC's are notorious for them and it'd be a shame to hurt yourself even over a freebie.

Thanks for the input. Ya I ride local XC trails so if it cracks that'd be odd. I wouldn't be using it for racing or anything DH. I have a good bike for that. Just need a new soft tail to stay in shape on the local XC trails

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Mountain cycle builds some weird bikes.

The older ones, like the San An, were notorious for crazy high bottom brackets, odd top tube sizing, and steep head angles. They were odd bikes, but some loved them. I had a Shockwave 9.5, and it was a blast. So much fun to ride, even with a BB slightly over 15"s. The weirdest bike ever pretty much.

The new ones are the ugliest bikes I have seen outside of walmart, and should be ignored at all costs. Over engineered, and some of the bulding decisions are the oddest I have ever seen. Completely baffling.

There are better bikes out there than the San An. Get one of those, you'll like it better.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
If someone is willing to trade that much for so little I'd take it as a sign it's not great...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If someone is willing to trade that much for so little I'd take it as a sign it's not great...
or maybe has absolutely no need for? I have an old bmx frame thats too short for me. i tried selling it for $50 shipped. At this point its been sitting aroudn for over year. i'd rather have it go to a good home than sit around collecting dust. at this point i'd let it go for shipping if it was gonna get built up and ridden.

Aug 25, 2011
or maybe has absolutely no need for? I have an old bmx frame thats too short for me. i tried selling it for $50 shipped. At this point its been sitting aroudn for over year. i'd rather have it go to a good home than sit around collecting dust. at this point i'd let it go for shipping if it was gonna get built up and ridden.
Ya the guy has soooo many frames and parts, He doesnt ride it.
He is asking 100 for sale
But the parts I am trading are worth 100 at MSRP. Granted I dont pay that for them, so its well worth it I believe