Mountain Hardwear=Amazing!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by downhiller2010, Jan 10, 2008.

1. downhiller2010

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I have recently been disappointed in outdoor clothing especially from certain companies(coughcough north face) I have old northface gear thats been passed down to me from the early 80's and is still in great shape. What happened to quality? So sorry for the rant. I recently bought a mountain hard wear technical fllece. It is the greatest jacket ive ever owned! the quality is amazing and it is so lite!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jcook90

jcook90 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    I'll second that, I have a hardshell by them and it's great.

3. BurlyShirley

BurlyShirley Rex Grossman Will Rise Again

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    I have a Jordache jean jacket that has never let me down!

4. hooples3

hooples3 Fuggetaboutit!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    You should try out their dome perignon Hat!!!

5. FreeRide-Junkie

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    North Face has really gone to **** since it became "trendy". I worked at REI and we had tons of failed North Face come back. I am a big fan of Patagonia.

6. spocomptonrider

spocomptonrider sportin' the CROCS

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 12
    I've got their Alchemy soft shell jacket. It rocks, I've taken diggers over gravel and... no holes. The thing is bombproof. I was a little worried that their quality would go downhill after they got bought out by Columbia but it has not.

7. downhiller2010

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i have not tried anything patagonia but have heard good things

8. Stray_cat

Stray_cat Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Oh the stories I could tell about NF...but I'll restrain. Good stuff from MTH. At the end of the day I'm a Patagonia man myself, one of the few independents left.

9. Transcend

Transcend My Nuts Are Flat

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I'm a big fan of Marmot stuff.

10. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    I worked for MHW until about a year and a half ago.

We were a total pain in the ass to Columbia when they bought MHW. They had no idea what real QC was and how far we would go to protect the process.

Everything they make is top notch from the beginning. Every zipper, every thread, every yard of fabric is carefully scrutinized.

(I spent fvcking WEEKS of time there cataloging exact fabric samples and rejects...ugh)

The vendors used are all top notch too, for quality and for the workers. Columbia's Standards in Manufacturing and vendor inspection process is thorough, no child labor or unsafe conditions, etc. If vendors are shady in any way, they get dropped and blacklisted.

11. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    They're local. Please boycott them till they hire me.

:D

12. jimmydean

jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep/Likes:
    169 / 1,358
    Living here, Columbia is the standard. I am a cheap bastard, but the higher end stuff is awesome. There is an outlet in Lake Oswego where I bought my shell for $130 (retail was $350 or some crap) and it rocks.

13. HenryTheHammer

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Patagonia and Arcteryx are two of my favorites. Big fan of OR stuff as well.

14. dump

dump Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 177
    Ditto. I have swiss friends that swear by it. When they visited me this past summer, they went to the Marmot store no less than 5 times!

15. Transcend

Transcend My Nuts Are Flat

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I will if i get free alpine stuff when they hire you. :)

16. MtnBikerChk

MtnBikerChk Squeaky Wheel

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 4
    Southern New England (where there ain't no TITUS d
    I'm a big fan of anything from steepandcheap.com

(lots of arcteryx and cloudveil stuff for women lately :) )

17. TreeSaw

TreeSaw Mama Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    38 / 383
    I have a Marmot jacket that is AWESOME! 100% waterproof/windproof and SO warm!

18. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    430 / 2,696
    I have a MH jacket that I have had for 6 years. I wear it constantly. It has withstood months under a heavy pack on the trail. I've used it as a pillow,puke rag, towel, pack and a bandage. It looks brand new.

19. skinny mike

skinny mike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i love marmot gear. i have a marmot sleeping bag, softshell jacket, and a pair of ski gloves and they are all top notch in terms of quality and durability.

i'm also a big fan of patagonia, my micro puff vest is awesome.

i have yet to have any problems with the north face stuff that i have, but then again all i have is a denali fleece and an sds 1/4 zip that i just got, and a pair of snowboard pants which seem to actually be holding up pretty well after all of the abuse i've given them.

20. hooples3

hooples3 Fuggetaboutit!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I have a bunch of stuff from Mountain Hardware and Marmot they are my two favorites..
    Mountain Hardware's synchro Jacket has to be my favorite piece

21. jcook90

jcook90 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    I realized at dinner that my family is obsessed with Patagonia, my mom and dad had the micropuffball vests on, my sister had a puffball jacket, and I was wearing they're boxers. Also a great company.

22. LandoCalrissian

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Penfield

23. loco-gringo

loco-gringo Crusading Clamp Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 5
    Oh, it's let you down, you just don't have the fashion sense to know it. :busted:

24. Jeff P.

Jeff P. Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Ive got a MHW softshell that is awesome. Had it 3 or 4 years and it looks like new. They were local to me but im not sure anymore with the columbia buyout.
    JP

25. zmtber

zmtber Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    best mountaineering gear is from arcteryx and Eider these companies produce amazing stuff

26. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 0
    MEC. Canucks will understand...

27. JRogers

JRogers talks too much

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    The only piece of Arcteryx gear I have is a pair of shorts I got off of Ebay a while back. I've done a few trips with them in addition to running or going to the gym and they are supremely awesome...super light, great little details, durable... Wouldn't hesitate to try out some other Arcteryx stuff...if I were a millionare and not a graduate student.

I also have been really impressed with Osprey. I bought an Osprey pack about a year ago and it is way better than the North Face I had previously. Less than 2.5 lbs and I can pack for weeklong trips. Nice and light without being minimalist.

The only Mountain Hardwear product I've used is a set of gaiters I've had for a while that have done fine. I hear good things, though.

28. sneakysnake

sneakysnake Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 1
    I heard some rumors a while ago that the reason NF is crap now is because they were bought out by vogue. Yes, vogue as in the FASHION magazine. I don't know for certain if thats true, but it would explain why NF's "gear" has turned into stylish city wear.

29. BurlyShirley

BurlyShirley Rex Grossman Will Rise Again

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    Seriously, my favorite gear is Pearl Izumi hands down. I still have my first pair of "real" mountain bike shorts I bought from them many years ago. The liner is gone, but I still wear the shell over lycra. I have bought other shorts over the years, nema, etc., and they have all come and gone, but the Pearls are still fine. I bought another pair last year that I expect similar performance from.
    I have a PI wool shirt that is the best piece of gear I own.

30. FreeRide-Junkie

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Osprey has some really comfortable packs. They have a really nice belt system it seems. Their smaller packs have a suspended mesh almost that contacts your hip that works quite well while their higher end packs have the heat mold able foam. Not going to get a much more custom fit for the price. Arc Teryx has some great packs as well but you will definitely pay for them. If I were in the market right now I would probably pick up a Gregory. They are pretty light and real comfortable. I don't think that their real big pack have enough support though.

31. FreeRide-Junkie

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    It's hit or miss with PI in my book. I have a pair of their booties that has this stupid rubber on the bottom with small almost cross marks to it. It might as well be perforated. The first time I took them off it tore right down one of the lines. They will be getting a phone call. :plthumbsdown: On the other hand I have a pair or two of their shorts that are great, and their gloves aren't bad.

32. fluff

fluff Monkey Turbo

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    This thread just made me realise that my MH jacket is nearly 10 years old, and barring a little bit of (unimportant) stitching coming away, it's down a hell of job considering the abuse it's withstood. Another satisfied customer here.

33. zahgurim

zahgurim Underwater monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 12
    Me too. Have a jacket and full zip pants, and abuse them well. Still look new.

34. geargrrl

geargrrl Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1

Vanity Fair Corp,
    http://www.vfc.com/sub_pages/our_brands.php

Let's just it's not a backcoutry focused Berkeley company anymore.

35. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    430 / 2,696
    Read some of the above posts an you will realise all high end technical gear has become stylish. Why spend $300 on a ralph lauren jacket when for the same price you can look all rugged in a Arcteryx (sp?). NR has just realized the market potential and made it's way into the general consumer market. Unfortunately their quality has dropped doing so but they are probably still satisfying the majority of their customers who are wearing Gortex to stay dry when checking their mail.

I don't care though. I buy my stuff for back country use but wear it everywhere. I figure with the economies of scale all the trustafarians and aging urban hipsters actually keep the price down for me.

36. I Are Baboon

I Are Baboon Run, Forrest, Run!

Rep/Likes:
    152 / 1,249
    I buy whatever the hell is one sale. People who pay $300 for a base layer jacket are out of their friggin minds.

I do have a pair of Mountain Hardware pants shell for skiing that I love. Got them at an end of season clearance sale for half price. I also got my Spyder parka for half price. I love that thing. Actually, I got them at the same store (Sam's in Brattleboro, VT for you New England folks).

37. skinny mike

skinny mike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    gregory packs are really nice and the larger packs definitely have plenty of support. i have a palisade(~5100 cu. in.) and aside from a little chafing due to the foam on the waistbelt not being broken in and me being so skinny, it is extremely comfortable. once you get the fit of their packs dialed, it makes even a 60# pack feel like it's a part of you.

38. FreeRide-Junkie

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Awesome... I had tried one and had it fitted to me with weight and I couldn't get it to sit right. Some packs just don't fit certain people well. I would never sway anyone away from a brand of pack just because it didn't fit me well. Quality is top notch for sure.

39. skinny mike

skinny mike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    just picked up an osprey stratos 24 and i must say that i am really impressed with the quality of construction of it. it will most likely be my pack for day hikes and i may also use it for all of my climbing gear.

just as an fyi to all boston-area monkeys, the ems in burlington is closing and everything that they have left in the store is 50% off. it's definitely worth a look if you are in the area.

40. downhiller2010

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    so I wore my my MHW jacket to school today and some kid walked up to me and said so youre to cheap to buy a north face? I lauged and walked away.

+1 on the gregory packs I own the forester and i love it. My understanding is that the gregory fit is either a hit or a miss for most people.