Quantcast

Mountain Hardwear=Amazing!

Oct 10, 2007
GA
I have recently been disappointed in outdoor clothing especially from certain companies(coughcough north face) I have old northface gear thats been passed down to me from the early 80's and is still in great shape. What happened to quality? So sorry for the rant. I recently bought a mountain hard wear technical fllece. It is the greatest jacket ive ever owned! the quality is amazing and it is so lite!

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I've got their Alchemy soft shell jacket. It rocks, I've taken diggers over gravel and... no holes. The thing is bombproof. I was a little worried that their quality would go downhill after they got bought out by Columbia but it has not.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
Oh the stories I could tell about NF...but I'll restrain. Good stuff from MTH. At the end of the day I'm a Patagonia man myself, one of the few independents left.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I've got their Alchemy soft shell jacket. It rocks, I've taken diggers over gravel and... no holes. The thing is bombproof. I was a little worried that their quality would go downhill after they got bought out by Columbia but it has not.
I worked for MHW until about a year and a half ago.

We were a total pain in the ass to Columbia when they bought MHW. They had no idea what real QC was and how far we would go to protect the process.

Everything they make is top notch from the beginning. Every zipper, every thread, every yard of fabric is carefully scrutinized.

(I spent fvcking WEEKS of time there cataloging exact fabric samples and rejects...ugh)

The vendors used are all top notch too, for quality and for the workers. Columbia's Standards in Manufacturing and vendor inspection process is thorough, no child labor or unsafe conditions, etc. If vendors are shady in any way, they get dropped and blacklisted.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Living here, Columbia is the standard. I am a cheap bastard, but the higher end stuff is awesome. There is an outlet in Lake Oswego where I bought my shell for $130 (retail was $350 or some crap) and it rocks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a MH jacket that I have had for 6 years. I wear it constantly. It has withstood months under a heavy pack on the trail. I've used it as a pillow,puke rag, towel, pack and a bandage. It looks brand new.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I'm a big fan of Marmot stuff.
i love marmot gear. i have a marmot sleeping bag, softshell jacket, and a pair of ski gloves and they are all top notch in terms of quality and durability.

i'm also a big fan of patagonia, my micro puff vest is awesome.

i have yet to have any problems with the north face stuff that i have, but then again all i have is a denali fleece and an sds 1/4 zip that i just got, and a pair of snowboard pants which seem to actually be holding up pretty well after all of the abuse i've given them.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I have a bunch of stuff from Mountain Hardware and Marmot they are my two favorites..
Mountain Hardware's synchro Jacket has to be my favorite piece

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I realized at dinner that my family is obsessed with Patagonia, my mom and dad had the micropuffball vests on, my sister had a puffball jacket, and I was wearing they're boxers. Also a great company.

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
Ive got a MHW softshell that is awesome. Had it 3 or 4 years and it looks like new. They were local to me but im not sure anymore with the columbia buyout.
JP

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
best mountaineering gear is from arcteryx and Eider these companies produce amazing stuff

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
best mountaineering gear is from arcteryx and Eider these companies produce amazing stuff
The only piece of Arcteryx gear I have is a pair of shorts I got off of Ebay a while back. I've done a few trips with them in addition to running or going to the gym and they are supremely awesome...super light, great little details, durable... Wouldn't hesitate to try out some other Arcteryx stuff...if I were a millionare and not a graduate student.

I also have been really impressed with Osprey. I bought an Osprey pack about a year ago and it is way better than the North Face I had previously. Less than 2.5 lbs and I can pack for weeklong trips. Nice and light without being minimalist.

The only Mountain Hardwear product I've used is a set of gaiters I've had for a while that have done fine. I hear good things, though.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
I heard some rumors a while ago that the reason NF is crap now is because they were bought out by vogue. Yes, vogue as in the FASHION magazine. I don't know for certain if thats true, but it would explain why NF's "gear" has turned into stylish city wear.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Seriously, my favorite gear is Pearl Izumi hands down. I still have my first pair of "real" mountain bike shorts I bought from them many years ago. The liner is gone, but I still wear the shell over lycra. I have bought other shorts over the years, nema, etc., and they have all come and gone, but the Pearls are still fine. I bought another pair last year that I expect similar performance from.
I have a PI wool shirt that is the best piece of gear I own.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Osprey has some really comfortable packs. They have a really nice belt system it seems. Their smaller packs have a suspended mesh almost that contacts your hip that works quite well while their higher end packs have the heat mold able foam. Not going to get a much more custom fit for the price. Arc Teryx has some great packs as well but you will definitely pay for them. If I were in the market right now I would probably pick up a Gregory. They are pretty light and real comfortable. I don't think that their real big pack have enough support though.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Seriously, my favorite gear is Pearl Izumi hands down. I still have my first pair of "real" mountain bike shorts I bought from them many years ago. The liner is gone, but I still wear the shell over lycra. I have bought other shorts over the years, nema, etc., and they have all come and gone, but the Pearls are still fine. I bought another pair last year that I expect similar performance from.
I have a PI wool shirt that is the best piece of gear I own.
It's hit or miss with PI in my book. I have a pair of their booties that has this stupid rubber on the bottom with small almost cross marks to it. It might as well be perforated. The first time I took them off it tore right down one of the lines. They will be getting a phone call. :plthumbsdown: On the other hand I have a pair or two of their shorts that are great, and their gloves aren't bad.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
This thread just made me realise that my MH jacket is nearly 10 years old, and barring a little bit of (unimportant) stitching coming away, it's down a hell of job considering the abuse it's withstood. Another satisfied customer here.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I heard some rumors a while ago that the reason NF is crap now is because they were bought out by vogue. Yes, vogue as in the FASHION magazine. I don't know for certain if thats true, but it would explain why NF's "gear" has turned into stylish city wear.
Read some of the above posts an you will realise all high end technical gear has become stylish. Why spend $300 on a ralph lauren jacket when for the same price you can look all rugged in a Arcteryx (sp?). NR has just realized the market potential and made it's way into the general consumer market. Unfortunately their quality has dropped doing so but they are probably still satisfying the majority of their customers who are wearing Gortex to stay dry when checking their mail.

I don't care though. I buy my stuff for back country use but wear it everywhere. I figure with the economies of scale all the trustafarians and aging urban hipsters actually keep the price down for me.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I buy whatever the hell is one sale. People who pay $300 for a base layer jacket are out of their friggin minds.

I do have a pair of Mountain Hardware pants shell for skiing that I love. Got them at an end of season clearance sale for half price. I also got my Spyder parka for half price. I love that thing. Actually, I got them at the same store (Sam's in Brattleboro, VT for you New England folks).

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
If I were in the market right now I would probably pick up a Gregory. They are pretty light and real comfortable. I don't think that their real big pack have enough support though.
gregory packs are really nice and the larger packs definitely have plenty of support. i have a palisade(~5100 cu. in.) and aside from a little chafing due to the foam on the waistbelt not being broken in and me being so skinny, it is extremely comfortable. once you get the fit of their packs dialed, it makes even a 60# pack feel like it's a part of you.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
gregory packs are really nice and the larger packs definitely have plenty of support. i have a palisade(~5100 cu. in.) and aside from a little chafing due to the foam on the waistbelt not being broken in and me being so skinny, it is extremely comfortable. once you get the fit of their packs dialed, it makes even a 60# pack feel like it's a part of you.
Awesome... I had tried one and had it fitted to me with weight and I couldn't get it to sit right. Some packs just don't fit certain people well. I would never sway anyone away from a brand of pack just because it didn't fit me well. Quality is top notch for sure.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
just picked up an osprey stratos 24 and i must say that i am really impressed with the quality of construction of it. it will most likely be my pack for day hikes and i may also use it for all of my climbing gear.

just as an fyi to all boston-area monkeys, the ems in burlington is closing and everything that they have left in the store is 50% off. it's definitely worth a look if you are in the area.

Oct 10, 2007
GA
so I wore my my MHW jacket to school today and some kid walked up to me and said so youre to cheap to buy a north face? I lauged and walked away.

+1 on the gregory packs I own the forester and i love it. My understanding is that the gregory fit is either a hit or a miss for most people.