Quantcast

Mountain Hardwear=Amazing!

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
EMS always had KILLER deals, even when they weren't closing. I bought my first nice bag from there, couple pairs of boots, who knows what else. It's a shame they can't seem to cut it with the likes of REI and other large outfitters.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
EMS always had KILLER deals, even when they weren't closing. I bought my first nice bag from there, couple pairs of boots, who knows what else. It's a shame they can't seem to cut it with the likes of REI and other large outfitters.
the lease for the building that the burlington, ma, ems is in is just about up, which is why it is closing. there are still at least 6 ems locations within an hour of my house.

and +1 on the deals, especially if you like prana clothing. that stuff always seems to be on sale.

so I wore my my MHW jacket to school today and some kid walked up to me and said so youre to cheap to buy a north face? I lauged and walked away.
that's priceless! :rofl:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Cloudveil is sweet I've got one of their softshells too, but I think the fit is a little bulky. I really light the tight cuts of companies like Mammut.
http://www.mammut.ch
One of the Mountain HardWear Gore-Tex jackets I've got, ( A 10 year old Ethereal 3 layer) has been demoted to mountain bike use but it still is water proof. TOUGH AS NAILS!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I've just ordered a Arc'teryx Stingray shell from Backcountry.com. I saw it in a shop in Stowe but they didn't have the right size anymore. The thing is dialed - hood that fits a helmet, tape seams, great fit - snug but still movable.

I've also had good luck w/ Marmot, Patagonia, and old Burton AK outerwear. Burton's newest stuff didn't impress me all that much.

A great book to read about Patagonia as a company is Let my People Go Surfing by Yvon Chouinard

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
North Face has really gone to **** since it became "trendy". I worked at REI and we had tons of failed North Face come back. I am a big fan of Patagonia.
I think your logic is a bit failed here. I doubt North Face decided to downscale their quality because sales were up. When more items are sold, the chances of more of the same items being returned increases, you see?

That said, I like Patagonia too. I have two long sleeve, button-up Patagonia shirts that have lasted me 15 years with very little sign of wear.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I am certain when the decision is made to sell at low end stores instead of your high ticket specialty retailers ( Sam's club, Costco, Sports Authority etc) something has to give somewhere in exchange for the increased sales volumes. Not to mention that when that decision is made, it really pisses of the specialty retailers who have had accounts since way back in the day.

And just because you sell more of an item, does not automatically mean an increase in returns/failures. There will always be a percentage of failure for any brand, but some brands are just made better than others. I've been repairing technical clothing for 12+ years, you can trust me on this one.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I have been wearing different Mountain Hardwear jackets for the last 9 years and I have been really happy with them. Although, they do have a tendency to develop some holes aound the upper part of the sleeves after some years of use....but ok, then I just have an excuse for buying a new one. Especially the old Parka and the Mithril were amazing.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I love my MH stuff. I also love my Ibex wool stuff, which is amazingly fantastic and kicks major ass over synthetics for next-to-skin wear.

Arcteryx makes some great stuff, but their cut doesn't fit my body well. (Anyone want some softshell pants??)

I always like finding cool stuff by other oddball manufacturers, esp. from custom makers and overseas companies, like Ground Effects or Cactus in New Zealand. But Mountain Hardware has always been great for me, and is both available and well-priced.

Campmor.com sells stuff bargain-basement, but I have a self-branded fleece jacket from them that's lasted ages and ages, and cost me $30. I like not worrying about ruining expensive outdoor gear.

Gotta give respect to Eagle Creek's travel packs, too. 10 years old and smells like cat piss, but I can't find a real reason to buy a new one no matter how bad I abuse it. They've repaired it gratis once or twice, too.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Gotta give respect to Eagle Creek's travel packs, too. 10 years old and smells like cat piss, but I can't find a real reason to buy a new one no matter how bad I abuse it. They've repaired it gratis once or twice, too.
The cat piss smell maybe?

You can try stuff it into a washing machine on hot, dump in a ton of Oxy Clean, and let it soak for a long time. I had that happen to a wheeled duffel once, and that was the only thing that took care of the problem.

You could maybe try a bottle of Mirazyme too...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The cat piss smell maybe?

You can try stuff it into a washing machine on hot, dump in a ton of Oxy Clean, and let it soak for a long time. I had that happen to a wheeled duffel once, and that was the only thing that took care of the problem.

You could maybe try a bottle of Mirazyme too...

Shoot the cat and soak the pack in the blood. It doesn't help with the smell but it makes you feel better about it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Recommended to me by the warranty guys at MHW when I worked there:
http://mcnett.baron-co.com/page.cfm?pageID=559

Wash the pack thoroughly with liquid detergent and hang dry. Then soak it in a strong solution of this stuff in warm water, hang to dry without rinsing.

Bye bye smell.