Quantcast

Mountain States Cup

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
CA
A couple of buddies and I are thinking about making the trip from California to one or two races in the Mountain States Cup this season. Can you recommend the best races for downhill and 4x? Best courses, location, vibe etc.

Here's the 2006 schedule:

1. Chile Challenge
(XC, DH, MX, SD)
Angel Fire, NM
May 20-21

2. Chalk Creek Stampede
(XC, STXC, MX, DS)
Nathrop, CO
June 10-11

3. Wildflower Rush
(XC, DH, SD)
Crested Butte, CO
June 24-25

4. Eldora Escape
(HC, XC)
Nederland, CO
July 2

5. Blast the Mass**
(XC, DH, MX, SD)
Snowmass Village, CO
July 15-16

6. Full Tilt in Telluride
(XC, STXC, DH, SD)
Mountain Village, CO
July 29-30

7. Keystone Climax
(XC, DH, DS, SD)
Keystone, CO
September 2-4

http://www.racemsc.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6

Thanks,
-Mike

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
rideagainst said:
A couple of buddies and I are thinking about making the trip from California to one or two races in the Mountain States Cup this season. Can you recommend the best races for downhill and 4x? Best courses, location, vibe etc.

Here's the 2006 schedule:

1. Chile Challenge
(XC, DH, MX, SD)
Angel Fire, NM
May 20-21

2. Chalk Creek Stampede
(XC, STXC, MX, DS)
Nathrop, CO
June 10-11

3. Wildflower Rush
(XC, DH, SD)
Crested Butte, CO
June 24-25

4. Eldora Escape
(HC, XC)
Nederland, CO
July 2

5. Blast the Mass**
(XC, DH, MX, SD)
Snowmass Village, CO
July 15-16

6. Full Tilt in Telluride
(XC, STXC, DH, SD)
Mountain Village, CO
July 29-30

7. Keystone Climax
(XC, DH, DS, SD)
Keystone, CO
September 2-4

http://www.racemsc.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6

Thanks,
-Mike
Angel Fire has amazing courses. If you could make only one race, that's the one to hit.

Snowmass probably has the best vibe of the whole series as it's got the best village and it's close to Aspen. The courses are also good.

Crested Butte is probably the best location of all the races (beautiful), but a timing fiasco at last years event makes it hard for me to recommend. Plus, the course is not very exciting.

Keystone is a great event. The downhill course is 8 minutes long for the pros (2,300 vertical feet) and it's got a great mix of everything.

Can't comment on Nathrop, but would you honestly drive all the way from California to race just 4x?

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
That's easy

Chile Challenge
Full Tilt in Telluride
Keystone Climax
Blast the Mass

Angel Fire is my favorite race anywhere, ever, period. Im a little prejudiced putting keystone in front of snowmass because Im so god damn sick of the snowmass course, but truth be told it's a fun race. Keystone's DH is epic, like 8 minutes and some if you are a pinner, so if you're gonna come out for that one you better bring your wheaties. The dual course at keystone is usually pretty rad too.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I did Telluride last year and it was really fun. The course is a pin it top to bottom style course. Plus there is a free gondola and some ripping local trails. So there is a lot to ride. The vibe was a little 'hippie' but the people were really nice and I got shown some killer shuttles. Unfortunately no 4x course.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
If you can only make one I would recommend Angelfire. Definitely one of the more technical and faster race in the series. It's also tucked away so it's got a nice environment when you're there that feels real layed back.

After that I'd recommend Telluride or Keystone. Keystone is extremely technical and there's a lot of stuff to ride there as well. Can't comment on Telluride but from what I've heard it's amazing.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Angel Fire definitely, without question, always. Not only is the riding spectacular and the tracks top notch, Chile Challenge usually draws close to a 1,000 racers across 5 disciplines and has even seen WC level competition. It is, in a word, tehsicktehgnargnarbreh.

What the peoples don't know is that Snowmass Village is plotting out new courses for '06. The rumour mill says that an entirely new base area, as well as all new tracks (XC, DH, STXC, 4X) will be used for the MSC and the NMBS races there this year.

So the decision there is: come to Snowmass for the Nat'l, or for the MSC?

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Full Trucker said:
Angel Fire definitely, without question, always. Not only is the riding spectacular and the tracks top notch, Chile Challenge usually draws close to a 1,000 racers across 5 disciplines and has even seen WC level competition. It is, in a word, tehsicktehgnargnarbreh.

What the peoples don't know is that Snowmass Village is plotting out new courses for '06. The rumour mill says that an entirely new base area, as well as all new tracks (XC, DH, STXC, 4X) will be used for the MSC and the NMBS races there this year.

So the decision there is: come to Snowmass for the Nat'l, or for the MSC?
I had heard some mumblings about a new course, good to know it's really happening. Is EJ on that? Hopefully they find some rocks to run over this time.