Quantcast

Mountaincross/dirt jump Track

Wilson10

Chimp
Aug 10, 2003
Clinton, TN
Well, Ive layed out my very own track on our 50acre farm. Ive only mowed out the path and set where my jumps will be. LOTS of work is still yet to be done with a bobcat like moving dirt for jumps and berms. I'm building it around our old ABA BMX track we had back in the early 90's. Its all grown up with grass and weeds but I plan on utilizing some of the bigger jumps. The track is all slanted downhill and is going to be very fast and hopefully none of us will die!

Has anyone done anything like this in their back yard? I'm looking for advice and suggestions.

I'm hoping it can be completed by the spring.

btw. Im looking for an ideal Frame for this type of riding!

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by Wilson10
Well, Ive layed out my very own track on our 50acre farm. Ive only mowed out the path and set where my jumps will be. LOTS of work is still yet to be done with a bobcat like moving dirt for jumps and berms. I'm building it around our old ABA BMX track we had back in the early 90's. Its all grown up with grass and weeds but I plan on utilizing some of the bigger jumps. The track is all slanted downhill and is going to be very fast and hopefully none of us will die!

Has anyone done anything like this in their back yard? I'm looking for advice and suggestions.

I'm hoping it can be completed by the spring.

btw. Im looking for an ideal Frame for this type of riding!
Oh snap!! sounds pretty sweet. they are doing something similar down in Delaware, but they have 400acres. anyway, it's funny you asked about frames because i was just about ready to post the same question. i got a Snipes recently but it's an older one, it's only a 14" frame but feels bigger for some reason. i'm gong to be into looking at a cro-mo ht soon. the .243's are really nice and i really like Revells, DMRs seem really nice and not pricey. anyone have any other suggestions on frames? anyone riding the newest Snipes, the Elemental? personally i'm looking for something that might be a cross between MTB and a cruiser. i like smaller toptubes (20-21")

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
Originally posted by Johnsben01
I go to school in Platteville, WI and our cycling club has its own dual cross course that we built. We built the whole thing by hand though. So you will have a much easier time with a bob-cat. We have a ten pack, a bunch of berms, a step-up, a few doubles, rollers, and a huge berm at the bottom. Our course is still not completely done but it is still a ton of fun. Another aspect of having your own course is the routine maintenance.
I use a .243 for dual. Other guys have: Minuteman, Roast, Bruiser, FS rigs.

Good luck on your course.
Hey man,
i used to live in dubuque(now going to school in denver) ill be back for thanksgiving and x-mas, we should get together and ride sometime. not to many MTBers in that area that i know of.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
and yeah i have some experience building mountain cross courses. helped out on our local course

Wilson10

Chimp
Aug 10, 2003
Clinton, TN
Sorry guys,

Clinton is located about 20 minutes north of Knoxville.

Im still looking for a frame and fork. I've been lookin at the Azonic Evolution II. Anybody have any experience with this frame?

I may hold you guys to helping us out with the constuction of this thing. It's definetly gonna be a task, but it'll be awesome in the end.

Nov 10, 2003
asheville
hey man wiggins this is ben what dual course did you help build in asheville? i never knew you put in the time anywhere, and by the way im glad to hear you are ready to work some with woody.
and wilson i have loads of advice. make sure you have anoverall flow to the track and also make sure the track maintains a good slope. not so much that you are rubbing the breaks but also enought that you can clear the size of jumps you plan to build.
this sounds dumb but map it out. the alexander course has a very good begging but in the end it begins to straighten out too much....take into accout lots of sharp turns for passing options...ie snake lines. but also add jumps just a little bigger than you are comfortable with. this lets you improve. anyway i have alot id like to say about building these types of courses and would love to help out in a build......also what kind of equipment are you using? dozer or just a bobcat?

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Benji?

Whats up dude? I haven't seen you and Tucker all summer? Are you healed up yet?

Anyway, if you are we should try to meet up before the snow flies. Oh, and you forgot Letoys, the best bike for this kind of riding, ever ;) :rolleyes:

take care bud, oh, misfitslacker, there are plenty of riders around, ya just gotta know where to find them, plus lots of good stuff to ride!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yo!whats up there ben. i helped on the dual out at alexander. a couple of days actually. the day we built the mogul section and a couple of days with fred and joe moore.

monkey_wheel

Chimp
Aug 11, 2001
BC
Sounds pretty cool. This spring we are building dirt jumps out at my friends grandmas farm an hour or so out of town. It is like a rainforest, makes for awesome packing jumps. Gonna start in the field, go through the forest, and use some abandoned cars as nice scenery. :) Got a Cat for us to use too.