Quantcast

Mounting a hitch to a compact POS...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
How do I go about getting a hitch for my 1988 "rustic" Honda Accord for the sole purpose of putting a sportworks-style rack on the back? How much $$$ will I blow? I'm staying away from a roofrack because I'm probably not going to have the car for THAT much longer and don't feel like putting $400 into a car I paid $300 for. Any helpful sites?

M

MSpike

Some places will install the hitch for free when you buy the hitch from them so that might be something to look into. Saved me a bundle because my car was an absolute bear when it came to installing a hitch. U-Haul had quoted me something like $450+ for the hitch + installation but a place called The Hitching Post had free installation. I bought the hitch from them and had a 4-hour + wait in the lounge while they installed it. They weren't aware what a hassle it would be to install on my car and, while they didn't charge me anything extra, they did put a note in their hitch file that from then on, installation on a Ford Probe would cost extra.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
blue said:
How do I go about getting a hitch for my 1988 "rustic" Honda Accord for the sole purpose of putting a sportworks-style rack on the back? How much $$$ will I blow? I'm staying away from a roofrack because I'm probably not going to have the car for THAT much longer and don't feel like putting $400 into a car I paid $300 for. Any helpful sites?
I bought a Hidden Hitch for my Accord (1999). It was not too hard to put on (after I read the instructions), no drilling or welding, although I had to use a file to widen a frame hole.

There a bunch of online places which sell them, but I noticed the model for your car is about $100. P.S. I use a Sportworks, which is the specific reason why I got a hitch.

http://www.hiddenhitch.com/Products/DisplayHitch.asp?HitchID=60728

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
It's gonna be expensive to get the hitch installed & then more money to get the hitch rack.

Why don't you just get one of those racks that straps to the trunk? They're something like $75.

-S.S.-
I have a trunk rack, but I hate it. It's not very secure, and it scratches up bikes like no other. I'd like to have a tray-style sportworks.

Thanks for the link Sanjuro! That looks enticing...