Quantcast

^^^ Move the bike store day ^^^

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Have about 8hrs of study left this week, so weekend will be uneventful. Wifey ordered some reclaimed wood shelves I'm putting up at some point here as well. Otherwise with sick Wifey, will be an at home weekend.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
COVID positive. There goes my all of my structured training. I am stuck in the house with two kids who likely have some low level COVID and a sick wife so I can't do shit about it. Most of last night was spent sweating or shivering.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
DSO pulled on the leash and tweaked my effed up knee on Thursday morning, so haven't ridden since then. Hoping I'm functional to ride today and tomorrow. Needs to be early though due to afternoon t-storms.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Putting on my Money Monkey hat - if you guys are keeping money in cash, T-Bills (<1yr) are getting into the +1% for 1-, 2- 3-months, +2% for 6mos. https://www.treasurydirect.gov/instit/annceresult/annceresult.htm If you keep a good cash savings or emergency fund, then putting together a ladder makes sense. No market risk if you buy from Treasury Direct and hold until maturity. A ladder being 1mos, 2mos, 3mos, etc until you have your emergency fund broken out over the number of months it's meant to last.

So if it's a 6mos savings:
Day 0: Keep 1mos cash, buy a 1-, 2-, 3-, and 6-mos t-bill. The cash for mos 4 and 5 stay as cash.
Maturity date 1 (1mos): Buy a 3- and 6-mos t-bill. You now have 1, 2, 3, 5, 6-mos covered.
Maturity date 2 (2mos): Buy a 3- and 6-mos t-bill. You now have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6-mos covered.
Maturity date 3 (3mos): Buy a 6-mos t-bill. You will have a rolling 1-6mos covered. It will take 3 months to establish, and some work to maintain, but your yield will be far higher than you can get in a bank and in a high inflation environment - critical.

If you have more float, say 1yr, add an I-Bond in as well. It's a 1yr lock-up, so you need to commit to locking those funds up. But they are yielding 9.62% right now and adjust for inflation. It will eventually roll down to be the only type you have, spitting out yield madman style. But again, locked up to a year, so let it taper in.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello peoples

Not much on the docket today. Wife was coughing up a storm last night so am tired now

I guess maybe I’ll test drive a Bolt EUV with Super Cruise if someone has one in stock

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hello peoples

Not much on the docket today. Wife was coughing up a storm last night so am tired now

I guess maybe I’ll test drive a Bolt EUV with Super Cruise if someone has one in stock
Bolt is fun, but it's a lean commuter for sure. Even the top spec, which I had, felt less than my Subaru for quality. If I had been getting it as a primary, I sure as hell wouldn't have gotten that.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Bolt is fun, but it's a lean commuter for sure. Even the top spec, which I had, felt less than my Subaru for quality. If I had been getting it as a primary, I sure as hell wouldn't have gotten that.
They redid the interior for 2022 on the regular and the EUV. And the EUV has Super Cruise (and the glass roof) as options. Finally, they dropped the price $6,300 for 2023 and the 2022s correspondingly have $6,300 in incentives thrown at them.

I still probably will agree with you and think it feels cheap, but it’s worth a test drive I figure.

D7ABEDCC-DA75-445F-BF93-F0ACF9A6B692.jpeg
8800BF21-F51B-47C1-9BFB-0C037F4EDF8F.jpeg

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning. Went for a nice ride last night and managed 7 miles! I haven't been riding so I was happy to get out and start training so I can actually ride my bike at monkeyfest without dying lol

Chilly here today so no pool time but I did get up early bake banana bread and make and end of the year/moving up video for my daughter's 4th grade ceremony on Tuesday.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Wife has a very particular bullseye looking rash on her leg, a couple days after hiking through the woods. So trying to get her an appointment with a doc. Else wise, not much on tap today.

:stupid:
When I test drove the bolt, the interior was awful, and this is coming from a guy who drove a Wrangler for almost 20 years. But Chevy interiors have always been god awful. That said, they seem to have really stepped up lately. The two new Chevy Silverados we've been driving at work have much nicer interiors than I'm used to seeing from them.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Coffee, eggs, toast, Haribo gummy bears, breakfast of champions.

Now to pack up the car and head to the beach. After that re-read Stoneys post and buy some bonds,one of my savings accounts just got bumped up to 1.4% APY, but the other two are lagging, can’t buy a Polestar or a Mach E on those kind of returns.

@Toshi have you looked at Polestar? They’re a bit more than the Bolt, but it seems like you get way, way more for that minor cost difference, and they still have the federal tax credit. Do wish they offered a wagon version of the Polestar though, that would be rad as hell

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Coffee, eggs, toast, Haribo gummy bears, breakfast of champions.

Now to pack up the car and head to the beach. After that re-read Stoneys post and buy some bonds,one of my savings accounts just got bumped up to 1.4% APY, but the other two are lagging, can’t buy a Polestar or a Mach E on those kind of returns.

@Toshi have you looked at Polestar? They’re a bit more than the Bolt, but it seems like you get way, way more for that minor cost difference, and they still have the federal tax credit. Do wish they offered a wagon version of the Polestar though, that would be rad as hell
1.4% for a savings acct is perfect, assuming FDIC insured. When you have one of those bump rates, also see if there is a limit amount. A lot will say first $1000, then .2% above (in really small, faint letters).

I forgot to add, the I-Bonds have a $10k/yr annual max per SSN. So you married folk can do $20k/yr.

And P* is a totally different realm than the Bolt. You're looking at $70k-ish for the P* and it's still has after a short electric range. And there is ZERO chance you don't blow through that range in like 2min. I spent a lot of time debating that when I got the All-road. Despite going by Volvo over half dozen times, I still couldn't even test drive a used one. Really turned me off from the impulse buy at the end of the day.

And after typing that, I just realized you meant the actual Polestar cars, not the V60 Polestar. I'm leaving that. Because Polestar is a performance brand. It was a butchered use of a classic race team name.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
:wave:

Wife has a very particular bullseye looking rash on her leg, a couple days after hiking through the woods. So trying to get her an appointment with a doc. Else wise, not much on tap today.

:stupid:
When I test drove the bolt, the interior was awful, and this is coming from a guy who drove a Wrangler for almost 20 years. But Chevy interiors have always been god awful. That said, they seem to have really stepped up lately. The two new Chevy Silverados we've been driving at work have much nicer interiors than I'm used to seeing from them.
Could be a spider bite...not just a tick.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Why can't that bolt have 2 more feet of cargo for actual "utility"?

Ever tried to fit a bike in a Ford Ecosport or Trax? It's comical.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I have considered the Polestar but the 2 is a stupid Subaru SUS type beastie (you all remember that, no?).

Current mental front runner in my manic brain is the Mercedes EQB 350. The vestigial third row is key with 3 kids. Going to put a deposit on one this afternoon after my Bolt EUV test spin.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My deck-builder buddy came out and made new stringers for the ones I destroyed last fall... so now I get to put the decking back on, which is a surprising PITA.

And it's hotter than the surface of the sun in my back yard.
He just build or do work too? I still have to fix our stairs and the landing pad

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
He does all sorts of stuff now... kitchens, bathrooms, general remodels, decks, etc.

I think he'd be able to do it... it's just the schedule that'll probably be an issue if you're looking to have it done soon-ish.
send me his info. por favor.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
how the hell do you break a hub flange protected by a disc rotor?
This is not too uncommon. The spokes' tension on the flange and corrosion will do that over the years. It is accelerated if you ride in winter on salted roads. The movement of the spoke rubs the ano away, making it vulnerable. Lightweight hubs have less of a marging of error build in and seem to fail earlier.