• loco pepe's JRB!

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
Netflicks is sending me Clerks this week. Do you think I will enjoy it?
Well let's see:

Do you enjoy pseudo-intellectual scripted banter between marginally talented actors?

Do you like plotless movies?

Do you think black & white for the sake of "art" ever works?

Laugh easily at gay jokes?

I guess if you answer yest to 2 or 3 of those, you might enjoy it.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
Well let's see:

Do you enjoy pseudo-intellectual scripted banter between marginally talented actors?

Do you like plotless movies?

Laugh easily at gay jokes?

I guess if you answer yest to 2 or 3 of those, you might enjoy it.
I can laugh at gay jokes.... if they are really funny...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
in this case, i think that was a purely budgetary concern and not done for aesthetics...didn't they make the movie for ~20K?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
narlus said:
in this case, i think that was a purely budgetary concern and not done for aesthetics...didn't they make the movie for ~20K?
Yeah, Kevin Smith maxxed his credit cards to make it.:rofl:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
Aww crap! you mean this thing is in black and white????

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have Aninmal House enroute as we speak from NetFlix. But Clerks is pretty good, not sure if you are going to like it BS clearly hates it, and all Kevin Smith movies for that matter. Just try not to expect much.

And yes Kevin Smith did max out his credit cards to make it, and it was make for $28,000. Shot on black and white 16mm, as color 35mm (the standard for moviemaking) would be considerably more expensive.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I doubt you will enjoy it. I would be intersted in what you think of it though.

The budget was $30k, it was paid for by maxing credit cards he got by lying on credit card apps. He said he was the manager of the video store he was a clerk of and made $50k a year. He was also the one who answered the phone when the card companies called to verify his employemnt.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
What a piece of crap and waste of time that was...

I didn't think it was possible for a flick to be more boring and dumber than The Life Aquatic...

:dead:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
N8 said:

I didn't think it was possible for a flick to be more boring and dumber than The Life Aquatic...

You must have put the disc in upside down or something.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
N8 said:

I called it! What do I win?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:

told you.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
N8 said:

It would figure you wouldn't like that movie.

Its one of my all time favorites

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
N8 said:

Damn, that means I'll have to see it... the Life Aquatic just about made me pee my pants :)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
jimmydean said:
I doubt you will enjoy it. I would be intersted in what you think of it though.

The budget was $30k, it was paid for by maxing credit cards he got by lying on credit card apps. He said he was the manager of the video store he was a clerk of and made $50k a year. He was also the one who answered the phone when the card companies called to verify his employemnt.
I've also heard that the whole "gum in the lock" story was because they would shoot at night when the place was closed. also the rights for the soundtrack cost more than it did to make the movie. great movie for what it is, but think Mallrats was his best work. :cool:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
dante said:
I've also heard that the whole "gum in the lock" story was because they would shoot at night when the place was closed. also the rights for the soundtrack cost more than it did to make the movie. great movie for what it is, but think Mallrats was his best work. :cool:
He also had a budget for Mallrats, like $250k or something! I would agree on it being his best overall film, but I also enjoy Dogma and Clerks 2 was great!

I own the Clerks animated series DVD as well, that was a great cartoon. Not sure how far he could have taken it, but it is funny as hell.

Chimiara

Chimp
Sep 17, 2005
Clerks is a classic, and ClerksII even has a Donkey Show.. What more could you ask for...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I remember liking Clerks, and I enjoyed Clerks II. However, so many things that I enjoyed in my youth are now very stupid so I am afraid to re-watch the movie.