Quantcast

Movies : Kevin Smith fans?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Only the evil Mooby execs were killed off. Smith also said the Jay and Silent Bob Stike Back was to be the last flick with J. and S.B. in it. But to answer your question, yes I'll be seeing it. Smith hasn't made a bad movie yet, and I don't think he'll start now.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Wow, that trailer looks bad. I can foresee this movie consisting of more celebrity cameos than Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back and having even less of a plot. Each KS movie post-original Clerks has been more and more diluted. I hope he proves me wrong...

The crossing-out of Jersey Girl was funny, though. Silence of the Lambs reference is about 10 years too late.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
maxyedor said:
Only the evil Mooby execs were killed off. Smith also said the Jay and Silent Bob Stike Back was to be the last flick with J. and S.B. in it. But to answer your question, yes I'll be seeing it. Smith hasn't made a bad movie yet, and I don't think he'll start now.
if i remember correctly that benniffer movie wasnt all that good.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Yeah, I'll see it, but agree with most of the coments above. I own most of his DVDs, except Jersey Girl, which I never saw and Chasing Amy which didn't really do it for me.

Caught Clerks on TV the other night. Man, that sh!t was funny.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
Clerks was funny, and the dude has gotten progressively worse since.
maybe i need to see _Clerks_ again, but i thought that the next 2, the first half of _Chasing Amy_, parts of _Dogma_, and _Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back_ were all better.

_Jay and Silent Bob_ is a howler and might be my favorite of the bunch...definitely get the extra disc w/ the 17 deleted scenes...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
maybe i need to see _Clerks_ again, but i thought that the next 2, the first half of _Chasing Amy_, parts of _Dogma_, and _Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back_ were all better.

_Jay and Silent Bob_ is a howler and might be my favorite of the bunch...definitely get the extra disc w/ the 17 deleted scenes...
It seemed like to me that Clerks was funny because it used new kinds of dialogue that you normally hadnt heard in movies. After that though, it really wasnt clever when the dude tried to apply it to whichever stupid plot in the movies you mentioned. It just got old, to me anyway. Thats not to say there werent some funny parts, but im just not a big fan.

J

JRB

Mall Rats was the best, but as you ask. Yes - I'll see it. It's funny - my best friend's name is Kevin Smith, but he doesn't like the movies.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
narlus said:

True that but i like all of Dogma.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I'll be seeing it as I have all his other movies. I like his style and dialogue. The wife was kind enough to get me an autographed copy of Mallrats which has some great bonus features (like his other DVDs).

For me Dogma was the best, follwed by Clerks and Mallrats. Chasing Amy didn't do it for me, and Jersey Girl doesn't count. J&SBSB was great but was defenitely an insider movie. You had to watch the others to get it and really enjoy it.

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
I'll be seeing it as I have all his other movies. I like his style and dialogue. The wife was kind enough to get me an autographed copy of Mallrats which has some great bonus features (like his other DVDs).

For me Dogma was the best, follwed by Clerks and Mallrats. Chasing Amy didn't do it for me, and Jersey Girl doesn't count. J&SBSB was great but was defenitely an insider movie. You had to watch the others to get it and really enjoy it.
Like the alternate beginning???

Who here reminds you of Willam???

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
Like the alternate beginning???

Who here reminds you of Willam???
Yup, the alternate beginning and a bunch of deleted stuff, as well as the longer directors cut of the film. There is also a funny Q & A session with the cast. See it. "Chicken grease on the phone!"

Hmmm... who would remind one of Willam? Who would get angry at little things and start kicking and flailing?? :rofl:

J

JRB

Oh crap - I am Willam. :dead:

I was about to get angry that they moved the Jesus walking on water thread to PD. Seemed stupid.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
Oh crap - I am Willam. :dead:

I was about to get angry that they moved the Jesus walking on water thread to PD. Seemed stupid.
Nah, you would be a Dante.

"Fvck fvck fvck! I'm not even supposed to be here today!"

I was thinking of BS as Willam.

J

JRB

peter6061 said:
I still refer to him as Willam when watching My Name is Earl.
hahaha - it's funny how close their ties all are. He makes me roll. I sometimes think he is funnier than Jason Lee.

edit - I call a guy named William here, Willam. He doesn't get it and I think it bothers him a little. It entertains me enough that I CAN'T stop.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I will see it for sure. Kevin Smith has a lot of talent, more than most out there making movies since he does way more then just direct.

Dogma was my favorite post Clerks. But Clerks the animated series is way too funny and I wish it would have not gotten the axe. I have the dvd, well worth a watch.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Clerks 2 for me was the most consistent Kevin Smith film. Overall I like Kevin Smith's stuff, but each movie to me has it's ups and downs. Some funny moments, some jokes fall flat, all with hamfisted dialogue.

Clerks 2 was his funniest movie all the way through for me. Still has the hamfisted dialogue, but that's a staple in his movies whatever..

Jay and Silent Bob are used pretty well here. They're not used too much, which is a good thing otherwise it would get old fast, but each of their scenes are funny.

The guys that play Randall and Dante are better actors now than when they shot the first Clerk's, but still not that great.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Clerks 2 was a bit over the top for me. I think he could have done much much better, though it was a good, if silly way to wrap up the New Jersey stories.

I think Kevin Smith has grown a bit too comfortable. No longer is he the edgy young filmmaker out to prove himself.

I wouldn't pay to see it again in the theatres but I'll buy the DVD and watch it a million times when it comes out.