Quantcast

Moving a house

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ridemonkey said:
Like I said before, anything is better than the typical shoeboxes that are being built these days.
Read that book I was talking about earlier "The Not So Big House".

Believe me I'm one who HATES most housing developments and the shoe boxes. With the right planning and thought you can have a house built to perfectly fit your needs at your costs.

I love craftsman styling and some of the victorian layouts are great as well. You just really need to make a list of what you're looking for in a home and in your life. Your home will be your life and since you have the advantage of tailoring it to your life you should do so.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
stosh said:
how do you know that?
If you look through that site they give costs. And yes those are prefab. How does one waste vertical space? You mean that there was more room to add stories? I'll take tall ceilings.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stosh said:
how do you know that?

A construction cost of $80-$100 is not cheap... esp you'll still have to buy the lot/land.

Typical modest stick-built custom homes here have a construction cost of $70-$85_ft.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ridemonkey said:
If you look through that site they give costs. And yes those are prefab. How does one waste vertical space? You mean that there was more room to add stories? I'll take tall ceilings.
Wow, thats cheap... I wonder what average building costs are in that area.

I hate exposed concrete or block in homes.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stosh said:
Wow, thats cheap... I wonder what average building costs are in that area.

I hate exposed concrete or block in homes.

Southern TX has some of the cheapest labor in the US for construction.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm currently working on a home that is 2000sq ft and cost $213/sq ft.
We have 195 more of these to do.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
N8 said:
Nope, I am talking oak cabinets, stainless steel appliances, 5.1/7.1 home theater, tile/wood floors, 10' ceilings, 14 SEER AC unit, 3 car garage etc.
Maybe in your neck of the woods, but not round here.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ridemonkey said:
Tall ceilings are the ticket to living with less space, IMO. We have an eating area/family room off our kitchen with ~18ft (at the peak) ceilings. It's great. And the house isn't particularly large. The upstairs b-rooms have cathedral ceilings as well.

Now if only they'd put some friggin ceiling fans in......... :mumble:

-S.S.-

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
S Tx has lots of labor from south of the border who don't exactly work for scale...
right we have unions up here who don't exactly work for scale.... in the other direction.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
That's an option...??? Its standard around here.
The other option is wireless keypad for the garage door.

213/sq ft is the low end models.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
We need to start a RM Construction Company specializing in energy efficient, affordable, and cool homes...

:p
I can draw them/design. PE's can stamp architecture drawings we got any of thoes?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stosh said:
The other option is wireless keypad for the garage door.

213/sq ft is the low end models.

GET OUT! That's a standard for me... it's all of $40 to have one put in. Next you'll tell me that the 1/2 HP screw drive garage door opener is optional.

Or that under-eave soffit electrical outlets for Xmas lights are 'optional'...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stosh said:
I can draw them/design. PE's can stamp architecture drawings we got any of thoes?
As long as you are doing single family residences... no stamps are needed.

You'll only need a PE stamp for the foundation plan.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
N8 said:
Why go through all that when you can get a manufactured/modular home (not trailer houses) with new wiring and plumbing and insulation.
Thats what I was just going to say. A friend of mine lives in a house like that. Can't really tell the difference. It saved him money b/c the various time tables involved were much less likely to change than with a traditional house. Building a house in section off-site also makes the process more efficient. My friend wa actually having an addition put on an existing home. The best part for him was that the house spent very little time ripped apart. It isn't like with a traditional addition where everything is built in place over weeks/months. The builder showed up one day, started demolition, and within like a week, the new roughed-in part of the home was installed and weatherproof.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
GET OUT! That's a standard for me... it's all of $40 to have one put in. Next you'll tell me that the 1/2 HP screw drive garage door opener is optional.

Or that under-eave soffit electrical outlets for Xmas lights are 'optional'...
no but I can one up you, putting a 16x20 plywood floor sheating in the attic cost $4000

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
As long as you are doing single family residences... no stamps are needed.

You'll only need a PE stamp for the foundation plan.
Where the hell is that state?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
stosh said:
no but I can one up you, putting a 16x20 plywood floor sheating in the attic cost $4000
LOL! Do you wear a pirate costume at work?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
In a lot of states single family homes can be designed by anyone. No architect needed at all.
WTF.... are you kidding me?
YOu can't even put up a kiddy pool around here without a Building permit and signed drawings.