Quantcast

Moving SUCKS!!!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
We just started the process of moving stuff to our new (in need of an extreme makeover) house. I'll be moving stuff in this weekend and next in preparation to the BIG move the day after turkey day.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I've already thrown out a lot of stuff in the garage. Tons of old bike parts that have been sitting for the last 10 years gone. I just opened the garbage and started throwing sh*t out.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Brian HCM#1 said:
I wish I was rich:(
You may not be rich but I would guess that you have enough stuff and a large enough house and make/earn enough that you really should hire pro movers. My last move I hired a truck and a couple of guys to load and unload the boxes (I packed them). It really made moving easier and was very much worth the cost.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
It does when you're rich and have loads of $hit. ;)
When you move cross country, you figure out what you really want to take with you with the limited amount of space(back of a station wagon) you have.

Books, CD's, bike and miscellaneous frames made it.

TV/DVD's, bed, furniture, given away/thrown away/sold.

Although I do miss a queen size bed.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
stevew said:
When you move cross country, you figure out what you really want to take with you with the limited amount of space(back of a station wagon) you have.

Books, CD's, bike and miscellaneous frames made it.

TV/DVD's, bed, furniture, given away/thrown away/sold.

Although I do miss a queen size bed.
moving xc really does help with the purging process, but i did it with a uhaul, so i got to keep the cushy queen sized bed.

i do miss all the plants i had to get rid of though.

and some of the other stuff i gave away last minute

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Ciaran said:
You may not be rich but I would guess that you have enough stuff and a large enough house and make/earn enough that you really should hire pro movers. My last move I hired a truck and a couple of guys to load and unload the boxes (I packed them). It really made moving easier and was very much worth the cost.
I want to do that, but my wife doesn't want to spend the money. We want to put that money to the house remodel. It would be about $3-5K to move our stuff, that's half the cost of the granite counter tops my wife wants.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Brian HCM#1 said:
I want to do that, but my wife doesn't want to spend the money. We want to put that money to the house remodel. It would be about $3-5K to move our stuff, that's half the cost of the granite counter tops my wife wants.
10k for granite counter tops? geeeez.
i think it cost us under 10k to replace all the floors, bathroom fixture hardware, paint, etc.....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
amydalayna said:
moving xc really does help with the purging process, but i did it with a uhaul, so i got to keep the cushy queen sized bed.

i do miss all the plants i had to get rid of though.

and some of the other stuff i gave away last minute
I tend to spontaneously sleep while driving. Big box trucks are a :nope:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Brian HCM#1 said:
3 - 5 K!?! Dang man... hire a U-Haul truck or two and a bunch of illegals. 500.00, tops! :D ;)

Well, next Monkeyfest is going to be at your place. We want to deface your counter tops! :evil:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Brian HCM#1 said:
Tons of old bike parts that have been sitting for the last 10 years gone. I just opened the garbage and started throwing sh*t out.
You could have donated to the RM bike ya know.

:mumble:

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
MMike said:
Way to garner sympathy... "And my solid gold toilets are on backorder" :nopity:
haha exactly what I was thinking.
Sorry to hear about your hardships Brian, keep your chin up in these troubled times....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
BAH said:
haha exactly what I was thinking.
Sorry to hear about your hardships Brian, keep your chin up in these troubled times....
Should we have a telethon? or a ridemonkey raffle?

"Won't you please help?"

And my move from Seattle to Montreal cost me about $10k canadian...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MMike said:

"Won't you please help?"

And my move from Seattle to Montreal cost me about $10k canadian...
WOW thats awesome $8.00 US thats amazing:thumb:

Can you please contact Sally Struthers for me and get thios telethon going:dancing:

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Brian HCM#1 said:
It would be about $3-5K to move our stuff,
You need to think outside of the box (pun intended).

We were quoted $5,000 to move our stuff less than two miles. I asked around and got a lead on three guys that do moving as a side job.

I rented a truck for $150 and they moved our contents (some of which we had already boxed) including carrying heavy dressers, armoires, etc. up a long set of curved stairs for $550 (including $100 tip), a large pizza and a twelve pack of Corona. I drove the truck.

They showed up at 3pm and finished at 12:45am.

It was by far the easiest move that we've ever done.

Viva the underground economy!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMike said:

"Won't you please help?".
If we helped Brian pay for his move should he pay us back before buying his 4th home on the beach?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Brian HCM#1 said:
I wish I was rich:(
You may not be rich based on bay area standards. But by virtue of being able to afford to live in the bay area you are most certainly wealthy based on the national averages. Based on what I have picked up here by your posts....I am afraid to to say you are wealthy beyond what most of us here would use as a barometer of wealth. You may not be very greatful but you are most certainly wealthy.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
justsomeguy said:
You need to think outside of the box (pun intended).

We were quoted $5,000 to move our stuff less than two miles. I asked around and got a lead on three guys that do moving as a side job.

I rented a truck for $150 and they moved our contents (some of which we had already boxed) including carrying heavy dressers, armoires, etc. up a long set of curved stairs for $550 (including $100 tip), a large pizza and a twelve pack of Corona. I drove the truck.

They showed up at 3pm and finished at 12:45am.

It was by far the easiest move that we've ever done.

Viva the underground economy!

You got ripped. Two friends and I moved the contents of a house across town (about 2 miles) for $40 each. Granted, It only lasted about 6 hours though with no real breaks...

When in need to cheap labor, hire teenagers. :D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
jdcamb said:
You may not be rich based on bay area standards. But by virtue of being able to afford to live in the bay area you are most certainly wealthy based on the national averages. Based on what I have picked up here by your posts....I am afraid to to say you are wealthy beyond what most of us here would use as a barometer of wealth. You may not be very greatful but you are most certainly wealthy.
Actually I am very grateful for where I'm at today, but yes in Bay Area standards I'm comfortable, by no means wealthy. It's all relative in every ones given area. My wife and I work hard to get what we have today. I have high expectations of myself and strive to achieve them on a daily basis.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Brian HCM#1 said:
Actually I am very grateful for where I'm at today, but yes in Bay Area standards I'm comfortable, by no means wealthy. It's all relative in every ones given area. My wife and I work hard to get what we have today. I have high expectations of myself and strive to achieve them on a daily basis.
I have had a small saying that sums it up well I think.... You are rich when your money works for you, not when you work for your money.

My wifes parents are comfortable and certainly way more wealthy then we are, but they are certainly not rich. And they worked very hard to get where they are today.

I still think you should send us all money though. :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey brian, I got sick of listening to you b1tch about your rough life so I just drove by your second home outside of tahoe city and took a dump on your porch. There's a $100 bill underneath the pile if you're really that stretched.
:D

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
.:Jeenyus:. said:
You got ripped. Two friends and I moved the contents of a house across town (about 2 miles) for $40 each. Granted, It only lasted about 6 hours though with no real breaks...

When in need to cheap labor, hire teenagers. :D
Um, no.

I wouldn't trust two teenagers to be able to move 3500 sq ft of contents and get a number of really heavy items up those stairs, even for the same amount of money.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Brian HCM#1 said:

You have a second home in Tahoe and you are not wealthy?? Hmmm. I have the utmost respect for those that work hard for their wealth. Expectations and goals of wealth are nothing to feel guilty about. Keep working hard and may you reach your goals. Maybe someday you will be very wealthy. But by any measureable sense you are wealthy by virtue of living in a wealthy community, having disposable income, the ability to save a certain percentage of your earnings, and being able to afford the finer things in life. Most folks can't afford to even go to the French Laundry once (if they could even get a reservation). I am sure based on national averages you are considered wealthy. Ask someone displaced by Katrina if your wealthy? Even with all the vouchers and assistance they are in a jam. Your standard of wealth may be skewed based on that fact that you have always been wealthy and just never realized it. Never feel guilty for what you have worked for though.....