Quantcast

Moving to Albuquerque

fr-rider

Monkey
Aug 14, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
I'll be moving to Albuquerque in a few weeks and looking for some areas to ride DH, DS, and FR, if anyone can help or direct me in the right direction I would appreciate it, thanks in advance. :)

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I heard in New Mexico there are some highways where the speed limit is like 80. But that is nothing like the AutoBahn.

huckit

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
bremerton, wa
actually the speed limit is 75...there is a pretty good downhill ride up in the santa fe national forest. The name of the trail eludes me at the moment but you head up I-25 north get off at the old pecos trail exit, go through a couple lights, take a right at the fork (old santa fe trail?) then go about a mile and a half, make a right on alameda follow it around till you see a big pink church and go right, make the right at the next light and follow that road all the way to the top (15miles or so) it will end at the santa fe ski area, the trail head is at the lower end of the ski area parking lot (sw side). The trail goes all the way to the bottom of the mountain (a long ways) if you can find out where it comes out at its best to get a shuttle (a must really). I would take a look at mtbr.com it should be listed on there. good luck and enjoy the scenery! p.s. if you made a left at the pink church there is a good place to get burritos at about three blocks up on your left called the burrito company (the chicken and breakfast burritos rock!!)

fr-rider

Monkey
Aug 14, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
huckit said:
actually the speed limit is 75...there is a pretty good downhill ride up in the santa fe national forest. The name of the trail eludes me at the moment but you head up I-25 north get off at the old pecos trail exit, go through a couple lights, take a right at the fork (old santa fe trail?) then go about a mile and a half, make a right on alameda follow it around till you see a big pink church and go right, make the right at the next light and follow that road all the way to the top (15miles or so) it will end at the santa fe ski area, the trail head is at the lower end of the ski area parking lot (sw side). The trail goes all the way to the bottom of the mountain (a long ways) if you can find out where it comes out at its best to get a shuttle (a must really). I would take a look at mtbr.com it should be listed on there. good luck and enjoy the scenery! p.s. if you made a left at the pink church there is a good place to get burritos at about three blocks up on your left called the burrito company (the chicken and breakfast burritos rock!!)

thanks. :thumb: finally, some light at the end of the tunnel.

what about the riding in the ABQ area.

huckit

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
bremerton, wa
I don't know of a whole lot of dh in albq. it is mostly flat until you hit the sandia area, that is probally your best bet. There is some decent urban riding on the University of New Mexico campus. Angel fire is another good place to go ride if you get a chance, the ski area there opens their lifts in the summer and last I heard they were beefing up their trails quite a bit.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i lived there for 5 years and made some killer dh trails that use a paved road to the top. 1700 to 800 ver drops. 5 trails. perfect. i hated to leave.

anyway as soon as you get there tell the guys at FAT TIRE CYCLES -tony -adrian - chris - that alex morgan sent you and show you the dh trails.

impo they are the best secret in NM.

have fun and don't pay for a lift at the area. they have trains but they super suck.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
bcd said:
i lived there for 5 years and made some killer dh trails that use a paved road to the top. 1700 to 800 ver drops. 5 trails. perfect. i hated to leave.

anyway as soon as you get there tell the guys at FAT TIRE CYCLES -tony -adrian - chris - that alex morgan sent you and show you the dh trails.

have fun and don't pay for a lift at the area. they have trains but they super suck.
I've been around the block at least once and I'd have to say that the trails BCD speaks of are some of the best I've have to pleasure to ride anywhere.

fr-rider

Monkey
Aug 14, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
bcd said:

Thanks for the info.