Quantcast

Moving to area

be-radd

Chimp
May 31, 2004
O-town
Im moving out to Buellton california in the Santa Ynez valley and i have no clue whats out there. I'm not even sure if its considered southern california, but thats why im posting to see if there are any monkeys out there and if there are any trails worth while. i ride everything from road to street so im open to whats available. even places good to live. any help would be great thanks.:help:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
fiddy_ryder said:
umm Andersons Pea Soup restaurant.. thats about all there is in Buellton.
:stupid:

My I ask why you're making the move to Buellton and the Santa Ynez Valley? The area isn't so much a destination as it is a rest area for travellers. It could be worse though, you're somewhat near Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo.

Gambo

Monkey
I lived there for a year it nice place to live. Its got the best road riding in the US and Santa Barbara is 45min. drive if you like DHing on some of the best DH runs in the world. 30 min. away is the los padres forest with rides like little pine, camus connector,Buckhorn loop and Figuroa MT.
There is a small bike shop there not the best but theres a great shop in Santa Maria called The Bike Barn www.bikebarn.net (I work there)
My boss is sponsred by Firestone Beer and we do night ride on the Firestone Mt bike course that on priver property if you are into XC.
If you have any questions about the area give me a call at the barn 805-925-2875 10-2 PST M-F. I lived in Santa Barbara for 15 years and Buellton for a year and now live in Orcutt (Santa Maria).
If you dont have a road bike you shoud get one and give me a call when you get here I can take you on some great rides.

Tony G

be-radd

Chimp
May 31, 2004
O-town
Yeah i got a job at Dr J's bikes shop there as a full time wrench to be trained as a manager something another. I live in Slyva North Carolina near Asheville now and im ready for a change of scenery. How did you find the area to be? Also im not finding many places to live there, so far all I've found is like gated communitys. Is there a university or anything close where people might need roomates or anything like that? Also whats the race scene like there is it more xc or DH or just a bunch of roadies I would like to get back into competition. Thanks

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I live in Los Olivos, about 8mi away. There is some fun urban riding in the valley. At mount Figuroa, in the valley, there are some fun trails I've heard). I still need to check them out. Santa Barbara has a DJ spot and some fun dh and xc trails as well as good urban riding.

There is a fun ocal race in los olivos at the Firestone/Chamberlan Ranch. They have dh, short track and xc. I'm not sure about road races, although there is the Solvang century. There is a DH race in Santa Barbara, sometime after the one in Los Olivos. I heard its so smooth, hardtails can generally keep up with the full suspension bike. I heard unfortunately there are no jumps/drop or anything somewhat technical, but I would still go (I ride a hardtail, so I would still have fun).

I can show you around sometime. Maybe you should come work on the Firestone/Chamberlin course with me and others. The first meeting to work on the course is the 22. The firestone thread in this South CA forum is about the race and working on the course.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
All kinds of shuttles in SB, maybe a half hour south on the 101. All the trails pretty much are really rocky, at least the frontside SB trails. Also there's SLO which has some super gnarly trails. Take the time to get to know the locals in SLO and you'll get shown some really incredible trails. Not very much you can shuttle in SLO, so bring your hiking shoes.