Quantcast

Moving to Bellingham

boombatz

Chimp
Sep 29, 2005
south florida
Hello Everyone,

I'm proud to say that I'll be calling the Pacific Northwest home soon. I'm moving to Bellingham at the end of August.

I put my notice in at the office last week and now I'm just waiting it out... well not exactly waiting it out. I actually have more work to do now that I'm leaving that I did before. But whatever, as long as it gets me out of Florida :)

So, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Scott. I ride a BottleRocket and my best riding buddy is a 3 year old Australian Shepherd named Duncan.

I'm hoping to meet up with some new people pretty quickly once I get out there. Anyone on here from Bellingham?

See ya soon

Scott

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Not from bellingham, nor do I live in the pnw.. I used to live in washington when I was in elementary school though, and I really wish I still lived there. Prolly gonna try to move up there after I'm outta the parents house. From what I hear bellingham has some super dope riding, I'm sure you wont have any trouble finding people to ride with. btw, prepare to say farewell to the sun.. the change in climate will definately take some getting used to.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
it rains so much you'll never want to ride in the mud. i hear colorado is nice!

yeah there is good stuff, dog stays behind(as in back of riders) or gets run over though is my philosophy

Hope you have a job lined up. slim pickens up here

Jun 18, 2004
Bellingham is cool... if I knew more peeps up there I would move up there... I think it's better up there than in Seattle... And I've been living in Sea on and off since 1969...
Mt Baker, the user built down-low trails, Galbraith, being closer to the Shore and BC.... all that stuff is very appealing...

boombatz

Chimp
Sep 29, 2005
south florida
it rains so much you'll never want to ride in the mud. i hear colorado is nice!

yeah there is good stuff, dog stays behind(as in back of riders) or gets run over though is my philosophy

Hope you have a job lined up. slim pickens up here
I don't have a job lined up, and to be honest I'm starting to get a little worried. But the riding and proximity to The Shore make it such a desirable location for me... I'm going to do it anyway. I'll figure it out. I can always move down to Seattle if I have to.

Thanks everyone for the info.

I'm still looking for an appartment too. If anyone's looking for a roommate with a dog let me know :)

Scott

MtbFreeride

Chimp
Aug 1, 2007
Kirkland, WA
I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna study. But it's gonna be my first year at WWU so I still got some time to do that.

Definitely PM me when you get up to the area...

boombatz

Chimp
Sep 29, 2005
south florida
I'm looking for an apartment. Any recommendations on the good parts of town? I'd like to live close to down town but also within riding distance to Galbraith.

How about Fairhaven? That seems like an interesting place.

Thanks,

andres611

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
Hey forget about all that "Say bye to the sun" crap. I've been living in the SEA area for a lil over a year now. I also moved here from SoFla. And to be honest, I love it up here. I love going up to Bellingham and riding Galbraith. You can also hit Whistler. And then during the winter time, when the cold and the rain come, just hit the slopes.

I keep myself busy with different sports so the weather hasn't really affected me. I also heard alot of crap about the winter here. But once it was over both me and my wife said to each other, "thats it? that is what everyone warned us so much about?" Believe me, you are going to love it. The mountains are definitely more fun than flat, hot and humid FL.

Good luck with the move.

boombatz

Chimp
Sep 29, 2005
south florida
Hey forget about all that "Say bye to the sun" crap. I've been living in the SEA area for a lil over a year now. I also moved here from SoFla. And to be honest, I love it up here. I love going up to Bellingham and riding Galbraith. You can also hit Whistler. And then during the winter time, when the cold and the rain come, just hit the slopes.

I keep myself busy with different sports so the weather hasn't really affected me. I also heard alot of crap about the winter here. But once it was over both me and my wife said to each other, "thats it? that is what everyone warned us so much about?" Believe me, you are going to love it. The mountains are definitely more fun than flat, hot and humid FL.

Good luck with the move.
That's great to hear, thanks!

You seriously just made my day. I've been stressing out about the weather a little. I don't mind rain, and I love the snow, but everyone I talk to has made it sound like the sun disappears completely for 9 months.

Now, I'm just worried about getting a job. I've heard Bellingham doesn't really have a very active job market. Maybe I"m better off starting out in Seattle? If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living andres611?

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)

You seriously just made my day. I've been stressing out about the weather a little. I don't mind rain, and I love the snow, but everyone I talk to has made it sound like the sun disappears completely for 9 months.

Now, I'm just worried about getting a job. I've heard Bellingham doesn't really have a very active job market. Maybe I"m better off starting out in Seattle? If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living andres611?
or if you want a nice area to live between seattle and b ham.

look around lynnwood, mill creek, bothell, everett.

each about 20min to an hour into downtown seattle depending on traffic, it can get severe. i believe seattle is still top 5 for traffic in the nation, but at the same time washington has the highest minimum wage and some of the lowest gas prices. (funny calling 4.50+ prices cheap)

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna study. But it's gonna be my first year at WWU so I still got some time to do that.

Definitely PM me when you get up to the area...
i may go as well.

all my stuff is turned in, like housing, summerstart, etc.

im just trying to decide if i should go to wwu or stay here in england for college.

i have till august 8 to decide because thats when my summerstart thing is scheduled for.

MtbFreeride

Chimp
Aug 1, 2007
Kirkland, WA
or if you want a nice area to live between seattle and b ham.

look around lynnwood, mill creek, bothell, everett.

each about 20min to an hour into downtown seattle depending on traffic, it can get severe. i believe seattle is still top 5 for traffic in the nation, but at the same time washington has the highest minimum wage and some of the lowest gas prices. (funny calling 4.50+ prices cheap)

i may go as well.

all my stuff is turned in, like housing, summerstart, etc.

im just trying to decide if i should go to wwu or stay here in england for college.

i have till august 8 to decide because thats when my summerstart thing is scheduled for.
Seattle's gas prices are far from being the lowest. I was just on the east coast and saw gas at one station for $3.83 and when I came back over here the cheapest was $4.27. We have a lot more taxes on gas than most states.

BTW, I also have my summerstart date on August 8. So if you decide on WWU you should PM and we can meet up.

Burton_350z

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008

What type of work would you be looking for? As long as you are willing to be flexable finding a job in Bellingham isnt as hard as some will make it seem.

Dave

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
Seattle's gas prices are far from being the lowest. I was just on the east coast and saw gas at one station for $3.83 and when I came back over here the cheapest was $4.27. We have a lot more taxes on gas than most states.

BTW, I also have my summerstart date on August 8. So if you decide on WWU you should PM and we can meet up.
did you mark your interest as business/economics?

also are you familiar with b ham as well? or no?

either way i am, if you wanna ride then ill be in town with my dh rig

andres611

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007

I am glad to hear that, and job wise I would be a lil scared too, but at the end everything always works out. Just be prepared that to begin with, you might not get the job you want. I was really lucky, I am an engineer for Boeing and they relocated me here, so already came with a job.

I live in Lynnwood which is great b.c. I am close to work and 20 mins from downtown Seattle, and less than an hour away from Bellingham.

Let me know if I can help you with anything

boombatz

Chimp
Sep 29, 2005
south florida
Hey Andres611,

I've been in publishing/direct mail for the last 5 years. I can write, do a bit of marketing/web marketing. I'm definitely good with sales. I've also been managing a team of 3 employees who were techs and teaching assistants for our online classes for the last year. So, I can do a bunch of things.

I'm willing to do whatever to make ends meet at first. But, the way people were making it sound I was prepairing to not even be able to get a job at REI or slinging beer on the weekends.

I'm hoping to go back to school in 09', get a masters degree and start teaching (any job with summers off is a good job :)

What's up with Lynnwood? Nice place? I really only chose Bellingham because Galbraith is in town and for it's proximity to The Shore.

But realistically, I have to go where I can get a job. Do you know if lynnwood, mill creek, bothell, everett have riding in town?

Thanks for you help, by the way.

Scott

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
I live in Lynnwood too. I grew up here, went to college in pullman, and then lived in seattle for a year. Pullman was the coolest place to live... but I wasn't into riding at that time. As for moving from Seattle to back to Lynnwood... I wish I didn't have to work in Seattle. As a videographer, it's hard to get away from the city. Everybody my age seems to love living in the city, but I didn't really like it.

So, I like living in Lynnwood. I'm not much into actual "mountain biking", more bmx and dirt jumping. I've heard mukilteo and kirkland both have some cool areas for mountain biking. There is also dirt jumping to ride around here, if you're into that.

One thing about Lynnwood, beware of having Alderwood Mall in between you and anywhere you need to drive to. Especially during Christmas time. Holy cow, it sucks.

And the weather... it's not that bad. The summers here are unbeatable. Make sure you spend a weekend in the San Juans.

Andres661, are you into Dirt Jumping? I've got some trails in my front yard that I'm always working on... and then riding by myself.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Bellingham here..been here a couple years but havent ventured out to meet any riding mates. Hit me up when youre in town, we'll ride Galby

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Why are you lying to him about the weather? I lived there for 6 years. Yes the summers are absolutely amazing. But the winters, you want to put a bullet in your head. My first winter there ('99-'00) wasn't there a stretch of more than 100 days without seeing the sun?

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
Hey Andres611,

I've been in publishing/direct mail for the last 5 years. I can write, do a bit of marketing/web marketing. I'm definitely good with sales. I've also been managing a team of 3 employees who were techs and teaching assistants for our online classes for the last year. So, I can do a bunch of things.

I'm willing to do whatever to make ends meet at first. But, the way people were making it sound I was prepairing to not even be able to get a job at REI or slinging beer on the weekends.

I'm hoping to go back to school in 09', get a masters degree and start teaching (any job with summers off is a good job :)

What's up with Lynnwood? Nice place? I really only chose Bellingham because Galbraith is in town and for it's proximity to The Shore.

But realistically, I have to go where I can get a job. Do you know if lynnwood, mill creek, bothell, everett have riding in town?

Thanks for you help, by the way.

Scott

plenty of schools around lynwood, mill creek, everett, haha.

but im sure those places will be much easier to find jobs than b ham, not saying b ham will be hard or easy, but im sure the opportunities are much greater in mill creek, lynnwood, everett. riding in mill creek, theres nature preserves with some of our old crappy trails with small jumps and stuff around, but theres potential for loads of one hit wonders, the amazing trail like dj's about 2 mile drive, but if your not comfortable with huuge jumps, there not for you. lynnwood not sure what is in town, not familiar with everett either really.

Why are you lying to him about the weather? I lived there for 6 years. Yes the summers are absolutely amazing. But the winters, you want to put a bullet in your head. My first winter there ('99-'00) wasn't there a stretch of more than 100 days without seeing the sun?
that was the same year it snowed 2 feet in the convergent zone thingy

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I'm from Bellingham and I love it. The riding is right there and great. You can live many places in town and still be close to Galbraith. The weather in summer is good and even in the winter there are always a few good weeks of riding weather. Otherwise, you'll get used to the weather and the mud.

I'm in Canada for another month but once you get into town (this goes for anyone) send me a message and I can show you around Galbraith and Chuckanut, etc.

Good luck on the job search!

andres611

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
I'm from Bellingham and I love it. The riding is right there and great. You can live many places in town and still be close to Galbraith. The weather in summer is good and even in the winter there are always a few good weeks of riding weather. Otherwise, you'll get used to the weather and the mud.

I'm in Canada for another month but once you get into town (this goes for anyone) send me a message and I can show you around Galbraith and Chuckanut, etc.

Good luck on the job search!
I'll join you guys to ride Galbraith when ever he makes it up here. Let me know

boombatz

Chimp
Sep 29, 2005
south florida
I'll join you guys to ride Galbraith when ever he makes it up here. Let me know
Sweet, thanks guys.

I'm leaving Florida somewhere between Aug. 15th and 20th. I'd like to be in Washington between the 5th and 10th of Sept.

I'll shoot some PM's out as soon as I'm settled.

See you soon.