Quantcast

Moving to Colorado

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
I am planning on moving to Colorado in June after I get my degree, and was wondering where the best place would be to get a job and ride. I am a pro downhiller and I want somewhere that has loads of downhill that is not really far away. If that is at all possible, where should I look?

I was thinking Boulder...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Define not to far away, if you're looking for within about 2 hours, Boulder's not bad, otherwise, you won't find much of anything there, short of some private stuff. Lot's of street riding, dirt jumping spots popping up though. Next, what kind of job are you looking for? You could live in Summit County, not to far from all the resorts, but then the job thing might be a problem......

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
Is Boulder really that bad??

Where I live now there is not even any XC within 30 minutes and the closes hike a bike is 1 hour, with killer stuff 2 hours away. And then of coarse Whistler about 8...(will miss that one for sure)

So close would be 30 max if possible, I would love stuff like 10 minutes away if possible.

As far as a job goes, My degree is in Finance but I would rather do some sort of design job.

The main goal is to get a decent paying job, race/ride as much as possible so I can get my UCI points and race some world cups.

I am not stuck to Boulder so any ideas are welcome.

EVILTWIN

Monkey
Mar 9, 2005
the loins of god
na just pullin yer chain. Boulder is the chit if you can afford it. Some decent singletrack north or south. DH is Keystone if you dont wanna shuttle. The race calender is so packed these days you wont be bored. We are also surrounded by great moto riding.

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
shuttling is the way to go, screw hike a bikes...

I will look into Keystone, the closer to the races the better. Is anything around there lift access?

Tell me more about the moto, is it tracks or trails? I used to live in SoCal and raced pro down there for a year or so and then went to school and got into DH, and i would love to get back into the moto seen soon.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
For moto, there are 3 tracks within about 35-40 min of Boulder, also some trail to be ridden, all of which host some sort of racing event, if you follow the nationals at all, you're probably familiar with Thunder Valley MX park. For lift access, the closest would be the resorts (Keystone, Sol Vista, etc), both are within 1.5-2 hours of Boulder.

Summit County is great for riding, well the 4 months that trails are open for riding. Expensive but good. Most of the DHers in the Boulder area dirt jump and street ride and more are getting trail bikes and alot have motos since the really good DH is a little bit of a drive. I have a feeling its gonna be another winter spent in the skate park due to the weather. Good DJ trails around Boulder

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
So I guess what it comes down to is;

Do you guys feel like you get enough ride time in, minus DJ and skate park time? So solid trail riding and full on downhill time.

I am pretty much free to move anywhere I can get a job as soon as I graduate and get out of classroom hell.

So what do you think, your neck of the woods or elsewhere?

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Honestly, I moved to Grand Junction in order to get more. There is a larger variety, and more much closer. Trails in Fruita, Grand Junction, Loma, and Mack (all 5-20 minutes away). Then, there's also Moab only 1.5 hours down the road. That's more trail riding than DH, but it works......

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
except right now....... snowed 3 of the last 4 days, and they say there's another on the way friday....... I just wanna see some not frozen dirt, is that to much to ask?

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

And hey, how about this. I haven't seen dry dirt in about 2 months... let alone a sky without rain...

I am so over living in the Northwest. It sounds good and all, you know, mountains, trees, good dirt, good bike community.

Well no, its just a big trick, DH and trails are hated and given to horses and hikers, the weather is **** 10 months out of the year,...uggg the list goes on and on. Mud is fun every so often, but every day is a bit sketch...

If it wasn't for Whistler being 6 hours away, i would have to crossover to strictly CycleX and road..:clapping:

Can't wait to graduate and move on!

I've always wanted to ride moab... looks way fun.

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
Wow, odd that i was just formulating a plan as well to move to CO in the next year so i can ride more. Im a chef so it doesnt matter where i live, i can always find work.

So is it agreed that the Most DOWNHILL riding a year can be had in the Grand Junction area?

Whats the relation in drive time to the big lift resorts to Grand Junction or the surrounding area? (big resorts might offer the best employment oportunity for me)

Any other advice or recomendations?

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I wouldn't say downhill exactly, though more selection, and more technical trails. The big resorts with the best reputation, Keystone (2.5 hrs), and Sol Vista (3.5 hrs). Not a bad place though.