Quantcast

Moving to DC! Need advice

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Hey everyone, so I just found out I'll be moving to the DC area in early August. I know there are a fair amount of options for different types of riding so I'm trying to figure out what sort of bike setup I want. Currently I have an RM7 with super T and I think it might be overkill. I was thinking about getting an urban bike but I hear there are alot of rocky trails that I could also ride. What's the best setup for someone who wants to ride within 90 minutes of DC? Thanks so much!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Any bike with mounts for pepper spray and tazer will do just fine :D
On the real side of things any bike design similair to 4x or all mountain would be fine. there are alot of backcountry riding and not a whole lot of mountains in the area.
VA and MD have some awesome scenic and cool trails, there will be alot of pedaling but no major hills. Just really pretty country. My wife used to live in rockville md, dc was about 20 min. away and I spen a bit of time out there.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
i would say keep the RM7 for the big stuff and get a urban bike with a derailleur and ride that almost everywhere else

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
ArEm7 said:
Currently I have an RM7 with super T and I think it might be overkill. I was thinking about getting an urban bike but I hear there are alot of rocky trails that I could also ride. What's the best setup for someone who wants to ride within 90 minutes of DC?
Not overkill at all. It'd be a good setup for Frederick and for extended weekends at Snowshoe (West Virginia) and Mountain Creek/Diablo (New Jersey). You can think of the Frederick Watershed (1 hr north of DC) as Galbraith flattened out a little bit and way rockier. An urban bike would be a great idea too since the street scene in DC is pretty strong. Check out Corey's site DCStreet.com.

Edit: You'll also be well served by adding a trail bike to the stable as well for the riding around here. For many of us here that translates to a burly hardtail but something along the lines of a Heckler, 5-Spot, Enduro would be the ticket for many of the longer, more epic XC rides in the area.

I moved here to the DC area from Seattle three years ago (almost to the day) so I know where you're coming from as far as the type of riding. I have to say that I've been more than pleased with the general quality of riding and the strength of the biking community out here.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
What about Patapsco y'all. There are some sweet uphills in there. And decent downhills. We really need a MTB park in this area. Just like Ray's.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Thanks for all the great input everyone. I can tell I'll be joining a very cool biker crowd over on the other side of the country. After performing the research part of my decision I'm going to check out a Transition Preston FR with maybe a Pike team fork. I think it should be perfect for what I expect to do over there. We have 2 dealers here in town so I'll check it out today if possible.