Quantcast

Moving to Knoxville: advice please.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
Well it looks like I am relocating to Knoxville. I'm looking forward to being closer to the mountains. It will take a few months to make the move, and we are looking at real estate, trying to buy a house near some good trails, but it seems most of the trails are outside of town a good ways.

What trails are near town and worth riding?
Concord seems nice but expensive.
Haw Ridge is out there.
I'm interested in riding Lone Mountain, but don't want to live out there.
Also wondering about Frozen Head, are there trails there?
IC King is too short and inconvenient.
Norris is cool but too far out.

What else is around?

Thanks in advance and I'll see you in the south in time for football season!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
First off, where are you gonig to work? But I live in Claxton, which is in Anderson County just north of Knox County. I can ride my bike to Haw and I'm at Norris, Concord, IC King, Lone, and Windrock within a half hour. I work off Pellissippi Parkway and at UT's campus sometimes. As far as real estate Anderson County, north and south Knox County offer great value. Stay away from west Knox County and the Hardin Valley area. Puke! The yuppies are so thick its disgusting and the housing is so over inflated.

Lone Mtns trails are probably the best single track we have close, outside of Pisgah. But there is a ton of climbing.

Frozen head doesn't really have "bike" trails.

Haw has everything and has miles and miles of buff singletrack.

Check out Tom's website...

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/mtnbike/index.html

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
I work out of my house with an occasional trip the company office in West Knox. My job will include one night a week travel to Asheville or Chattanooga!

So you can ride to the trailhead at Haw Ridge from Anderson County. I may want to look in that area.

What else can you tell me about Lone Mountain? Fire road climbs? How many miles of trails? Are there long descents?

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
I guess I'm spoiled with having miles of killer singletrack from right out my front door in the city and surrounded by breweries and entertainment. I am trying to find a way to live near trails for after work during the week. I'll make the drives on the weekend. I prefer fireroad climbs and burly descents.
I don't have a DH bike anymore, so Windrock is out, although I may ride snakerock on occasion.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Broadway and I-40?????

Completely ignore that. That is in the ghetto and near some of the worse construstion nightmares to come in the near future.

Haw Ridge is located in Anderson County. You should look for a house near where I live. I'm a few minutes for Oak Ridge and a couple more to north Knoxville (Powell area). And west Knoxville is an easy trip up Pellissippii Parkway. Plus the housing is super cheap! I think the only other place I'd like to live in the town would be South Knoxville. I used to live there when I was in school and I really liked it.

Lone is 95% singletrack. Both burly up and down. It is really a hidden gem.

It will be cool to have another rider here in town.

D

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
profro said:
Broadway and I-40?????

Completely ignore that. That is in the ghetto

D
Come on now. Yes I live in what once was a habitat house, but its cheap!! And the Kroger outside St. MAry's is AWSOME!! Go to East Knoxville...something around Austin East, you never have to go far to get ANY FIX. North Knoxville (fountain city-ish) is nice, but has traffic issues. If I stay here, I'm either going south or fountain city/merchants-ish. Still close to the old city w/o having to deal as much w/ I40 bs. I grew up outside dc (I95, beltway, all that crap) and I think the traffic issues w/I40 are worse.

Doug (errrr. the other doug) - Lone Mtn mostly single track? Its been a few years since I've been there, but all I remember is the looooong fire road climb from the horse stables to the overlook. Everything else was tsali/tanasi like. I liked it, but that was during the height of the beatle kill problems.

Speaking of single track - time to jet. -peace

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dude dont worry about it. there is good 3rb0n riding on campus and around town and lots of riding in the woods. the knoxville area crew are all very cool as well and will heartily welcome you into their clan after they give you the initiation as woopin then make you ride all the trails at windrock on a full rigid in a day.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
you should look me up and we will chill at windrock and take spoke, profro, butch, and jeremy and it will be a party at windrock. ohh yeh thats the way to go. or you can come chill here and ride some of the trails that we actually have in nashville. :cool:

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
Nashville has some fun trails. I like Hamilton Creek and Lock 4. I am in Nashville about once a month. I'll put out a post next time I'm in town ,if you want to hook up.
There are some Alley Cat/Poker Run races coming up in Nashville that will be a tour of breweries. Good enough for an urban ride. there's a drop on Music row that you can gap a table. Crazy Johny hit one day over a couple dining al fresco. Hilarious.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Sigh! Y'all 'er makin' me miss my old home town. I grew up in Karns. Haw Ridge was a blast when I first started riding 15 years ago. Good to hear it's still going strong.