Quantcast

Moving to Myrtle Beach area..help!

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
I have a job opportunity in the Myrtle Beach area, but really know nothing about it. If all goes well, I may pick up the fam and head down that way, so please inform me on the area before I do. Whats it like? How are the people? Crime? Housing Market??
Im from Boston, so I know all about congestion. Hell, it takes me 30 mins to drive 5 miles to work in the morning. So I know what to expect in MB proper during toursty season, but what about the general vicinity (aboot a 20 mi radius either way)
I just watched Deliverance this weekend, and Im apprehensive about a move this far south :D
But seriously, I would like some first hand inputs. Can you leave your car unlocked at night? Do you have to go on a hour drive to go to the grocery store? Do people cut you off and give you the finger like it was second nature? Whats there to do around besides golf and go to the beach? The latter is why I love New England so much, you can go down to the beach one day and then head up to Maine to go rafting the next. If winters and the housing market didnt suck as much as they do, I would stay; but alas, I want a house and if I go through another winter with 30" snow storms and weeks of below zero temps, Ill go insane. I can Google the area till my fingers bleed, but it can't replace first hand experience, so any input (good or bad) would be appreciated
THANKS!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the place is crazy. full of tourists strip clubs, strip malls low riders rednecks and fake oakleys and chain restraunts and t-shirt shops. it is one of the gaudiest most neon places on earth. There is an amusement park in the middle of ther place and all summer it is nothing but people cruising. thecops suck BAD! every time we went down there when i was in highschool we all brought an extra 80 bucks to get out of jail with. the possibility of street riding is zero to none. There may be some but the cops throw ya into jail for lookin at em funny. On the plus side there are lots of dumb drunk sluts all summer and it is at the beach. as for crime i have seen 2 stabbings and one person get shot and there are lots of boozy ass holes. Our hotel room got broken into while we were there and this place was top notch. The theif came in while we were asleep. My suggestion is stay the hell away. if ya wanna check out a cool place to live on the coast with some actual culture and good people look no further than wilmington NC. hell man myrtle beach doesnt even have any surfing.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Um, I like to take up for SC because I think it can be a great place to live,
but Myrtle Beach is the filthy azzhole of our state. You remember those really uncool losers in high school whose only hobby was cruising,
and peeling their tires. Well, they have all relocated to their home away from home, Myrtle Beach. It is their Mecca. And they worship Neon lights, cheap t-shirts, bad beer, and worse girls. They drive Mini-trucks or flame painted ricers with cantalope launchers for mufflers.
I could go on all day.
Are your bags packed yet? I would stay very far away.
As far as riding your bike, that is pretty much nill.
Some cool places to check out in SC would be Charleston.
Its sweet, but again, no riding scene.
If you want that then you need to move to the upstate.
The Greenville/Spartanburg area is a great area to be in.
Greenville has a killer downtown now, and there is a ton of
great riding in less than an hours drive. You are also only about 3 1/2 to 4 hours from Charleston as well.
But Mrytle Beach, no way.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Alright.......now that we've established what sucks about MB, let's discuss something that may help this guy out----if he hasn't already run screaming for the door. Yes, MB is not the place you want to live.......but if the job is right, there are plenty of places to live further north that takes the cruising scene out of the equation. Remember......Wilmington is only a little over an hour north, and the scene there is TOTALLY different. In between, there are some really quaint places to reside. Oak Island, Brunswick, SouthPort, Shallote, Holden Beach, Ocean Isle Beach.......these are all very nice communities that are well removed from all the neon, lowriders, trashy women, and bike week. Locating yourself in the middle of Wilmington and MB gets you the choice of two different cities with different people. The riding scene in MB I'm not too familiar with, but Wilmington is much better. Don't discount it just yet.....between the two cities, you'll have all the night life you can handle, and you'll never fall short of getting a laugh out of all the locals. Lots of good fishing year-round, and the sunsets are quite beautiful. I'm not proud of what MB has become----I've been slumming there all my life, and have squealed tires, threw up on the curb, been arrested, and shouted many a lewd comment hanging out the window of a busted up Camaro with the best of them. It's a great place to visit......... ;)

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
thanks for all the input folks. Im heading down there next weekend for an interview. the guy im going to meet is going to show me around a bit too. if i love the job but hate the area, i may decline, but if its not *too* bad, we may ship out. The job is not in MB proper, a bit northwest on the NC border. from what ive gathered here and other boards Ive posted this same question, it seems like its comparable to hampton beach, NH. town it self is pretty WT, but surrounding area isnt that bad. Im kinda hoping i like it because im sick of the whole boston scene. now with the RSN gloating all over the WS win, tis getting more and more hostile towards transplanted yankee fans like myself

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well the areas in the southern most corner of the nc coast are catually pretty nice. just live as far away from myrtle beach as you can and still be able to tolerate the commute.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
well the problem is this: the job Im looking at is in some podunk down called Loris which has a population of 2,000 strong, ~15mi from MB. However, the wife is a property manager/facilities manager and needs to work in a larger population area. For example, she currently mananges several dorm buildings at Harvard. If we live too far from any population base, she wont be able to find a worthwhile job, and likely will have to work closer to the city (is MB considered a city??)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
luken8r said:
well the problem is this: the job Im looking at is in some podunk down called Loris which has a population of 2,000 strong, ~15mi from MB. However, the wife is a property manager/facilities manager and needs to work in a larger population area. For example, she currently mananges several dorm buildings at Harvard. If we live too far from any population base, she wont be able to find a worthwhile job, and likely will have to work closer to the city (is MB considered a city??)
Not so much a city as one of the seven layers of hell.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
your wife needs to keep one major thing in mind. Myrtle Beach is STRICTLY SEASONAL. Once it cools down, the place turns into a ghost town. It truly DIES...and I mean death. Nothing, ZIP, NADA, NOTHING. It shuts down.

These guys are right about Myrtle Beach proper...it's MTV Beach Party from April to October, only with inbreds. Once off the strip though....you're in a different world with real people.

Coolest thing about Myrtle Beach....no helmet laws. So when dipstick rednecks do wheelies and loop out...they drag them off in a bag. Natural Selection at it's best.