Quantcast

Moving to Norcal, where to ride?

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Hey all I'll be moving out to northern California for a four month internship starting mid april and was wondering what places are there as far as riding. I'm not sure what location I'll be at yet, but they are both around mendocino. One is in Covelo and one is in Hayfork, they are both pretty remote from what I understand. I'm looking mainly for places where I can trail ride, or aggressive xc or whatever you want to call it. But any suggestions are welcome, be it dh or dj or whatever as long as the heckler can handle it. Also if you dont mind just say whether a place is legal or not, its not really a huge issue I think but it probably wouldnt look so hot to the fish and wildlife service or some of the other agencies I'll be dealing with if I got fined for riding an illegal spot. Links to pictures of the places would also be sweet. Thanks in advance.

Phil.

Mar 1, 2007
I had to register just to repsond to your post. There is northern California and then there is NORTHern California. Covelo and Hayfork are two of the most remote towns in the state. Covelo is in Northeastern Mendocino county and my understanding is that it is made up mostly of the Table Mountain Indian Reservation. I could be wrong on that, but I know it's in the cuts. Hayfork is in Trinity county, the only county in the state without a stoplight. As in no stoplights in the ENTIRE COUNTY. I'm not trying to scare you off, just letting you know what you're getting into. It will be a very "interesting" four months, put it that way. Basically, you're moving to the outskirts of the weed growing region of the state. Have you been out here before? As far as trails go, I know that north of Hayfork in Weaverville, there is supposed to be a huge network of trails. Other than that, you're on your own. I doubt many people on this board have even heard of Covelo or Hayfork. Extremely beautiful country by the way. Just be prepared for some interesting folks.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah I know what I am getting into, one of my best friends from highschool actually did the same internship last year and was stationed in hayfork. I heard all about the interesting people out there, but he also mentioned one of the guys he worked with rode a lot while he was there so I figured there had to be some decent riding around there. I'm going to be a wildlife biologist intern, so being stuck in the middle of shastra trinity national forest is an upside not a downside of the deal.