Quantcast

Moving to Portland, what do I need to know?

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I'm moving to Porland in September, well most likely Vancouver, WA (for tax reasons) but that's only 10-15 minutes away right?

Can anyone give me the lowdown on what I need to know? Where will I be able to get my DH/Freeride fix once I leave Whistler? Just thinking of leaving brings a tear to my eye.

Any good local bike clubs for some XC action and to meet new people to ride with?

What is the best place to look for a place to live online? Maybe the local paper (whatever that is) has an online classified section? Is there a big difference in rent between Vancouver and Portland?

Any other tips you think I should know?

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I live in vancouver, it's 5 minutes away from portland (right across the river....), 15 minutes to downtown portland. I don't know how much you have to spend on an apartment, but there's a lot of nice apartments near the vancouver mall (that's where I live, I'm paying 650 for a nice 1 bedroom). If you wanna make a trip down here I'd be glad to show you around......

Biking wise, this forum is a good place to meet up with portland and vancouver riders for some riding action. There's a couple of good shops for dh freeride stuff, universal cycles (right across the river from vancouver) and fat tire farm (about 20 min. from vancouver in downtown portland). Both have good websites. There's a lot of XC stuff to ride, but I like the downhill and freeride stuff better. Post canyon kicks mucho ass, you'll come to know it well.

It's great to hear about more riders coming to this area, more people to ride with is always better.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
vancouver is ok, but the commute is a bit rough. if you want trendy look to the nw area. i have been living in the pearl, which was great since i could walk to work in downtown but not overly cheap and very urban.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I'm not stuck on Vancouver, it was just suggested to me as I'll be working in Portland 2-3 days a week but working from home the remainder of the time. If I move anywhere in Oregon I'll end up getting hit with a 9% income tax so I'm looking for someplace just barely in Washington that will still allow me to get to Portland easily.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
crashing_sux said:
I'm not stuck on Vancouver, it was just suggested to me as I'll be working in Portland 2-3 days a week but working from home the remainder of the time. If I move anywhere in Oregon I'll end up getting hit with a 9% income tax so I'm looking for someplace just barely in Washington that will still allow me to get to Portland easily.
You might wanna research living in WA, but working in oregon a little more. I think if you work in oregon you have to pay state income tax regardless where you live. I dont know, i could be wrong....., ALSO, if you live in WA youll pay an 8% sales tax.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oly said:
You might wanna research living in WA, but working in oregon a little more. I think if you work in oregon you have to pay state income tax regardless where you live. I dont know, i could be wrong....., ALSO, if you live in WA youll pay an 8% sales tax.
ya, i think this i right, sadly. and yes, i'm back. are you going to do the mt. hood ride this saturday, zane?

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I have researched it, if you work less than 50% of the time in OR then you don't get hit with the income tax.

Sure WA has a 9% sales tax but that ends up being much, much less than 9% of my income. The 9% sales tax only costs me 2-3% of my gross income. Besides, if I was that worried about the sales tax it wouldn't be too far out of the way to drive over the border into Portland and shop there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ah, i didn't get the significance of the "2-3 days a week" bit. props to you if you pull it off :D

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
zane said:
The couve (vancouver) sounds like it'd meet your needs, I like it......... Toshi- you're back!
Zane, Toshi and the rest of the portland crew:: WHOS GONNA DO HOOD? We are still waiting to hear if any oregon peeps are gonna come show us the way from t-line down.....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oly said:
Zane, Toshi and the rest of the portland crew:: WHOS GONNA DO HOOD? We are still waiting to hear if any oregon peeps are gonna come show us the way from t-line down.....
i'll definitely do it. but i've never been there before so don't count on me for anything but bringing up the rear of the pack :blah:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Toshi said:
i'll definitely do it. but i've never been there before so don't count on me for anything but bringing up the rear of the pack :blah:
Toshi, Cool. So, we are shooting for an 11:00 meeting time somewhere down there. Im thinking the thriftway in welches so we can load up on oreos and jolt cola. You gonna bring the F1? A bunch of us are bringing the big bike......

D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'll bring the f1, sure. the evil is fun but i'm sure my back will thank me for _not_ taking it :D

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
Hey guys, any plans for a ride mid to the end of August? I am still finishing up my house, and need to build my big bike anmd swap parts on one of my others. If anyone know of any light XC in Hillsboro/Beaverton and would like to hook up for a ride, let me know...

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I wonder if I'll end up selling my Nucleon? It's a great park bike for Whistler but might be a little heavy if I actually have to start pedaling around to get to the fun stuff.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I can't do the hood ride, it's my girlfriend's birthday and we're spending the weekend together. Girl comes first, bike comes second for this weekend......

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Ridemonkey said:
1000 a month - is that Canadian or American dollars?
I would guess american. I know the unit and 1000 cdn is pretty cheap haha (although entirely possible if you get hooked up in a lucky way) :)

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Hey That one guy ,as soon as my foot heals ,I`ll do some XC lite rides .I`am so fricking fat ,and I need to ride ,but I broke one of my toes and it will keep me from riding for a while .I heard of some good trails in Molalla and as soon as I can I`ll be hitting them

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
I am not sure where Molalla is, but I am down. I have gained a few myself, but need to get back on the bike to get in shape. Need to build the XC back up and get riding. Sorry to hear about the toe, heal up quick...