Quantcast

Moving to Portland

Jay_b

Chimp
Jul 10, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Ok Portland crew, I need some help.

So, my Wife is about to accept a job in Portland and I am starting to do my research on local mtb trails. Riding is basically my life. Currently, living in northern VA, I can ride my xc bike every day of the week cause there are 3 or 4 local xc spots withing a 20 min drive. We also have some epic weekend rides within a 90 min drive. There is also a local Dirt jump spot with some pretty big stuff within 10 minutes and some knarly Shuttle runs within an hour. There is also 2 lift access resorts within 4 hours for weekend trips. The mountains are small compared to Oregon, but there is a good scene of riders who build and maintain the trails that makes them enjoyable. Since the weather is pretty mild here, I can ride all year long. I work form home on my own schedule, so basically I ride at least one of my bikes every day.

I have always assumed that in Portland there would be a much bigger mtb scene and that there would be more local riding options as well as weekend riding spots than there is in Norther VA. However, I am getting worried because I am having a hard time finding good riding in and around the Portland metro area. I have found what looks to be pretty amazing riding 60 to 90 minutes out such as Blackrock, Mt Saint Hellens, Sandy Ridge and a bunch of stuff along the Hood river, but nothing really close enough for a quick mid week 2 hour ride. I ave found a few Dirt Jump spots such as Gratto and Meldrum Bar, and as for Downhill riding, I know Timberline has lift access stuff and there are some shuttle spots out near Post Canyon.

So my questions for you guys are:
Is there any good local Singletack close enough for a weekday ride? If so, where would be a sweet place to live centrally located to various riding spots, including Dirt jumps? Could you possibly live in a spot where you can ride to a few different trail heads from your door?
Where is the best places to look for trails and Get MTB info in the Portland Area, any bike shops I should contact or forums I should post in?
Is there any local races or racing series, XC, endurance and/or enduro?
How is the Downhill, Freeride and Dirt Jump scene? Do those DJ spots still exist? how is the riding at Timberline?

Thanks in advance.

ride on!

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
or Larch / Thrillium / Ravens. facebook - PDX area mtb rippers

Anywhere inner SE would be good to live. Try to avoid foster ave if at all possible. I lived on se 27th. About 4 blocks from Universal Cycles, Coalition brewery, Migration Brewery, Bonfire, Sweet hereafter, stumptown. Really an awesome area.

DH scene is awesome. Alot of people put time/effort into awesome trails. Every weekend it's easy to hit Ravens or Thrillium and find 10-20 people riding/shuttling.

Honestly I miss living there everyday.

...and last but not least. Whistler is 6 hours from Portland. the rest is moot.

Last edited:

Jay_b

Chimp
Jul 10, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Cool thanks guys, Looks better than I first thought. On a side note, how is the riding down near Ashland/Medford? That seems to be another option that just popped up. Seems much more rural with a lot more options for xc/all mtn riding.

Jay_b

Chimp
Jul 10, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like my wife and I have decided to move out to Boise, ID mid June. She got a pretty sweet job out there and the riding seems to be decent. Anybody know of any good trails out that way besides Eagle bike park and the ridge to rivers trail system? Mainnly technical trails, dirt jum

Jay_b

Chimp
Jul 10, 2008
Alexandria, VA
that last bit got cut off for some reason. I'm looking for technical xc trails, dirt jumps and/or downhill trails in the Boise area.

Thanks

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I know there's the obvious awesome stuff within an easy days drive and it appears like there is some singletrack around the city. But are there any DH/FR/DJ stuff that you can do an afterwork kind of ride? Or is all that stuff 30-45 minutes away?

Any illegal underground stuff? You don't have to tell me where it is, just curious if that is what exists for that kind of riding near the city.

Last edited: