Quantcast

Moving to Snohomish Soon

rm1

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
And i was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what riding is in the area. I like to ride everything but tend to stick to the trails that go more downhill than up. I am moving on to the airport in snohomish and i am just wondering what is local if there is anything. So if you dont mind please lend me hand and if you dont want to post in the public forum please PM me.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
If you find any that go more down than up, let us all in on the secret. Seems to me you get down what you go up. Unless you add a vehicle or a ski lift in to the mix.

More specifically, the above lists work ok. The mtbr/trails/WA page is good too as is the BBTC trails page at www.bbtc.org but the closes t place to ride near Snohomish is Lord Hill. There's more in there than first glance. But, it's definately horse country. The gas line has some decent air time. Next closest is Japanese Gulch in Mukilteo. Followed by the Victoria Tract of the Pilchuck Tree Farm.
Other places to check out real close are:
Cherry Valley
Griffiin Creek
Tokul West
Tokul East
Tolt-MacDonald
Wallace Falls.
Heading North is Galbraith, about and hour 15 away.
ACFL outside Anacortes is along the way North.

"More down" is either outside B'ham or around I-90. Though if you ask at the local bike shop....

rm1

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Yea when i said more down than up i did mean adding a car to the mix. What can i say, the hills are just more fun to go down than up.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Well then, as has been noted here more times than I can count, you'll need to dial in with the locals to find it as there's not much legal here.
You can drive up to Palisades/Deep/Ranger/Sun Top down in the 410 which is about 2 hours away or head over to Devils Gulch in Cashmere which is also about 2 hours away. There's a few places closer but not as obvious. Or, you're heading North to at least B'ham.
Then, there's the Shore beyond that and only Seymour has driving options now if I recall.
Not too much available for the driving/coasting types but plenty if you don't mind pedaling up. Certainly not much "close" to Snohomish.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
When you get into to town check with Scott @ Bikeworks in Lakestevens. He can point you in the right direction and maybe introduce you to other locals.

Watch out for his son SW, he bites. :D (not like Scott won't....)

rm1

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I cant wait to make it out there and i definetly cant wait to ride the trails off of I-90. I used to climb in that area so i have a basic idea of the terrian and it looks awesome for mtb.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Yep, that's the shop I meant. Maybe a 15 minute drive from the airport.

There's only 1 shuttleable area off this side of 90 that I know of anymore. But, other places nearby that you can ride up or push as it were for the same "down" fix.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Well, it's really 2 areas. On the west side of the falls is the old narrow gauge RR grade(think Preston) which is now partially a logging road and some XC type trails around the lake and out beyond to Jay Lake and back. Killer evening viewpoint from the "Pebble Beach" at the West end of the lake. There is also the new Greg Ball trail which is a fun decent that has been recently added (built entirely by the WTA)and also, now that it's complete, signed as closed to bikes on the bottom(it was officially open to bikes while under construction. Who know's what they are thinking...). Not sure about the top yet, and, well, that's where I enter the trail to head down...

On the other side is Reiter Pit. You can either cross across the river above the falls and head down or just drive past the SP and out to the Pit on May Creek Road. Lots of moto gnarl (steep. rocky chutes for example) and trials type stuff as well as a popular place for the 4wd crowd. I've heard of shuttling it. but, you need either a quad with a trailer or a pretty burley truck.

As Snacks mentioned you can come back down the way you went up. Speed freeks will love it and the switchbacks can have a full on 2 wheel drift at speed if you like to scare yourself. I once followed an offroad Sanatana tandem down that and they were drifting big time. Simply nuts to watch.

BTW: Preston Peterson is leading a BBTC ride at Reiter Pit this Sunday if anyone wants to shoot the "Elevator". Bring your travel.... :)