Quantcast

Moving to Vista as my primary OS...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Just poke around and try drivers with the same chipset (you get use to that after playing with linux).

They are just various generic drivers that work with same chipset cards - doesn't have to be a dlink driver - just one made for your chipset. Maybe check what chipset it is in linux web resource - that would be the best place to figure it out I guess?

My netgear card is a WPN311, I am using generic ar5211 atheros windows drivers both in XP and Vista - I gave up hope on netgear shortly after buying the card and wanting WPA2, so I never used their drivers.
I've tried about 1.5 bazillion different drivers from various sources, after 2 hours I gave up.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
The last Vista thread was kinda cluttered so I thought I'd start a new one. I installed Vista Beta 2 a while back, then RC1 when it came out, and then pretty much quit booting to it.

The IPv6 lecture I attended the other day got me thinking, and Vista has some interesting IPv6 functions so I thought I'd make the push to make it my primary OS.

Re-installed to prevent anything I may have screwed with previously from causing problems and I'm in the process of installing everything. Vista is shockingly fast in some aspects - I am partly attributing this to being a native x64 OS which takes full advantage of my processor. Browsing the internet is FAR zippier than XP and the new IE is faster than Mozilla. Okay, okay, don't lecture me, I know that Mozilla has advantages and that IE breaks code, but I'm just sayin' :p

Anyway... Cool. Also looked at some of the new IPv6 stuff which is interesting. Fun fact: IPv6 supports 128-bit IP addresses, which allows 3.4x10^38 addresses, or a unique IP address for every proton in the universe. :shocked: Wonder if we'll run out?

Vista gives IPv6 the priority over IPv4. It tries to use v6, and if it can't, it tries to set up an IPv6 tunnel over IPv4. If it can't do that, it reverts to normal IPv4. Neat.
So, how's all the new features? EEEEEE sorry, I mean the copied features from OS X? A Dock maybe? Maybe Spotlight?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, how's all the new features? EEEEEE sorry, I mean the copied features from OS X? A Dock maybe? Maybe Spotlight?
Yeah, Apple is the only "innovator" who has used the "dock" idea. I haven't been using docks in Linux since the mid 90's, and it wasn't in places like BeOS before that :rolleyes:

Not being an OSX user other than a rudimentary understanding, I don't know what Spotlight is, but instead of making unoriginal comments, would you care to contribute to the subject at hand?

Or do you just like to poke around in this forum and blindly plug or defend Apple with no real content to contribute?