Your property tax dollars hard at work.

x-post from the ROMP listserv.

------------------------------------------------------------
Article

Expensive digs for a ranger
OPEN SPACE DISTRICT'S $1 MILLION COST FOR CABIN RAISES QUESTIONS
By Paul Rogers
Mercury News

A Silicon Valley parks district whose primary mission is to buy and preserve forests, meadows and trails has taken on a different kind of real estate venture, spending $1 million of public money to buy a rundown mountain cabin to house one of its rangers.

The property purchased by the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District probably won't turn up on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens any time soon. The two-bedroom, 1,440-square-foot house with vinyl floors and a rickety deck was built in 1972 and sits on a dirt road in the hills above Los Gatos.

Critics, including some of the district's board members, call the acquisition a breathtaking waste of money that consumed nearly 7 percent of the agency's $15 million land budget this year. The house, on 1.5 acres, cost $667,000 per acre -- the most expensive per-acre purchase in the district's history.

``This was a really misguided use of valuable district resources,'' said Deane Little, one of the district's seven elected board members. ``I would have dearly loved to have seen us spend the money on open space.''

Other district officials say owning the house will end conflicts they had with previous tenants over rangers' access to the adjacent El Sereno Open Space Preserve. In addition to housing a ranger, it will provide six parking spaces and easier public access to the preserve, they note.

Preserve access

``If it was just for a ranger residence, we wouldn't have bought it,'' said Craig Britton, the district's general manager. ``We're talking about access to the preserve, patrolling and public safety.''(this is my favorite part)

In a meeting that drew little public attention, the district's board voted 4-3 on Dec. 15 to buy the house, at 16075 Overlook Drive, two miles west of downtown Los Gatos. Escrow closed in January.

Since voters created the open space district in 1972, the agency has acquired roughly 50,000 acres of open space from Mount Umunhum in South San Jose to land near Crystal Springs reservoirs north of Woodside. The average purchase price has been about $4,000 per acre.

Property taxes from northern Santa Clara County and southern San Mateo County provide much of the district's funding. As word of the purchase has spread, taxpayer groups aren't rushing to throw a housewarming party.

``This is just unfathomable,'' said Terry Gossett, a Moss Beach engineer and member of the Silicon Valley Taxpayers Association. ``It is a misuse of the funds from taxpayers. It is being used to take care of their own instead of the public, who are the customers.''

Britton began negotiations to buy the Los Gatos house in early December, when its owners, Phil and Jean Hayes of Santa Cruz County, informed the district of an offer for $960,000 from another buyer. A year earlier the asking price was $1.795 million, and the board had voted not to buy the house. The district secured the property for $950,000, largely because there were fewer real estate commissions involved, said Britton.

The district already owns nine similar homes on the Peninsula, acquired over time as part of larger land purchases. It rents them to its rangers, with priority given on the basis of seniority and proximity to where the rangers work. The cheapest, on Skyline Boulevard in La Honda, rents for $355 a month, while the most expensive, on Mora Drive in Los Altos, goes for $1,019 a month.

Having rangers live on or near open space preserves is important in reducing the risk of fire, illegal parties, fireworks and other mischief, rangers testified at the December board meeting.

The backers

The four board members who voted to support Britton's recommendation to buy the house -- Pete Siemens, Jed Cyr, Mary Davey and Nonette Hanko -- said in addition to ranger housing, it will help the public get into the El Sereno preserve, a 1,412-acre expanse of oak trees and chaparral open to hikers, horse riders and bicyclists. The preserve is surrounded by rural neighborhoods without much parking. They noted that houses in the Los Gatos hills regularly sell for more than $1 million.

``We decided we could get the benefit of a ranger residence and could install parking,'' said Siemens, a retired Los Gatos aerospace engineer. ``We said there wasn't much else we could do but just bite the bullet.''

The new parking will be restricted, though. Siemens said the six spaces probably will require a day-use permit, so as not to upset neighbors who don't want increased traffic.

There are at least four other entrances to the El Sereno preserve, including one at Montevina Road with some parking. But district officials say the Overlook Drive entrance will provide better public access to the northern part of the preserve.

One big problem in the past, Britton said, was that people who rented the house regularly parked cars on narrow Overlook Drive, blocking ranger access to the preserve. Sometimes when rangers tried to unlock a gate on the road near the house, dogs threatened them.

``We were always at loggerheads with them,'' he said. ``We thought that if there was a way to secure the property, we would.'' The Hayeses could not be reached for comment.

The district already owned part of Overlook Drive, up to the road's center line, and the gate. But rangers never ticketed or towed the vehicles, Britton said, because the district feared getting into a legal dispute about where the line was.

`Operating expense'

``I look at this as less of an acquisition and more of an operating expense,'' Siemens said.

The board members who voted against the acquisition -- Little, Ken Nitz and Larry Hassett -- thought other solutions might be cheaper. For example, Little suggested the district rent a home near the preserve for a ranger.

Little, a molecular biologist from Los Altos, said he would rather see the $1 million -- $950,000 for the purchase and $55,000 for deck repairs -- go toward buying new parklands, expanding environmental education for low-income children or removing invasive plants.

To solve the rangers' problems with access to the preserve, Little said the district simply could have moved the iron gate a few hundred yards up the road into the preserve. Then, rangers could have driven past the dogs, and the district could have built a small parking lot in the preserve.

When Britton brought the issue before the board for a vote, time was tight. The purchase option expired the next morning.

``I see a public-relations disaster brewing on this one,'' Little fretted during the meeting. ``I mean, if the national press gets hold of this, it is going to read, `Parks agency buys million-dollar ranger residence.' If the local press gets hold of this it is going to be, `Open space district spends $1 million on an acre of land.' It is going to look really, really bad.''

Davey, then board president, interjected.

``We have spent a lot of time on this; let's see if we can't move it along,'' she said. The yes vote came in minutes.

No ranger has moved into the house yet. The road remains closed to the public. Britton said he hopes to install a new gate, trail sign and parking lot by year's end.

Contact Paul Rogers at progers@mercurynews.com or (408) 920-5045.

MROSD's El Sereno OSP webpage:
http://openspace.org/preserves/pr_el_sereno.asp

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Give me a break!!! I like the add on of a parking lot to justify the purchase. Unfortunately it is only for 6 spaces!!!

I know being a ranger is not the way to become a millionaire, but I guess you can have a million dollar home.

And if someone thinks a camper/trailer would not cut it, Edward Abbey wrote a book about his time in a trailer at Arches N.P. Good enough for him, good enough for any other ranger.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
I see the board was almost evenly split on this vote, 4 to 3. Anytime I see a vote like that, it tells me there are pretty strong arguments in both directions and the issue is not clear cut. I have to say that without more info, I would have been one of the "No" votes on this.

On the other hand, the article seems pretty slanted. The average price per acre is a pretty meaningless figure when you are talking about 10's of thousands of acres bought over 30 years, sometimes at reduced prices. Sometimes key pieces of property can cost a lot more, because they connect separated parcels or provide easements. It's not at all clear whether buying this property gives MROSD a public easement to the open space, rather than just the previous private one. But you can see from the maps that there are currently two unconnected parcels, and an apparent lack of legal access to the preserve from the Los Gatos side.

http://openspace.org/preserves/maps/el_sereno_map_11-02.pdf

Here's a link to the street address as well:

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?zoomin=yes&name=&ed=oaKI8up_0Tra2ZhwotPJs4gt2YbwI9r5CbxrF0kv3y0CRXF7c8g8eOmqlz.F60SneSRCgtKlIpA9p98U1E95m7E5ZfaI5FhIfQqXy3WYDkxZpYQ0O90-&state=CA&csz=Los+Gatos,+CA+95030-2913&ds=n&uzip=95030&mag=2&desc=&country=US&dma=807&cat=shop&resize=l&trf=0&rezoom=0&.intl=us&addrtype=9&compass=&pan_x=0&pan_y=0&panable=1#mapcontent

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
HarryCallahan said:
On the other hand, the article seems pretty slanted. The average price per acre is a pretty meaningless figure when you are talking about 10's of thousands of acres bought over 30 years, sometimes at reduced prices. Sometimes key pieces of property can cost a lot more, because they connect separated parcels or provide easements.
I absolutely agree - this article is clearly framing the data in the least-favorable way possible.

- but -

The data are what the data are. True, land prices around the bay area have skyrocketed in the past 30 years, so I agree that the average price per acre is designed to shock rather than fairly inform. But, it's also true that this single purchase represented 7% of the total operating budget for MROSD for this fiscal year - and for what gain? To add 6 parking spaces and year-round housing for one ranger? That seems hard to justify for an already cash-strapped management agency operating on meager property-taxpayer dollars.

As far as easements - I really don't know any details about how easements are negotiated when you don't own the land that is blocking access - but when private property blocks a major access point to open space, aren't the property owners legally obligated to grant an easement (someone who knows about this please chime in)? If this is the case, then MROSD wounldn't have to buy the land for that purpose - which already sounds like a suspicious justification for buying a ranger a million-dolla house.

Let's see if MROSD starts writing more tickets to mountain bikers who break the 0.2 mph speed limit on preserve lands to make up some of the money.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Another thing to consider is the actual process of the vote. The voting process is not exactly broadcasted on C-Span with a thousand people in the audience. It is a small group of people with probably no outside input on their decisions. This vote could have been pushed through by one person who could have an ulterior motive or is just an idiot.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
El Santo said:
The data are what the data are. True, land prices around the bay area have skyrocketed in the past 30 years, so I agree that the average price per acre is designed to shock rather than fairly inform. But, it's also true that this single purchase represented 7% of the total operating budget for MROSD for this fiscal year - and for what gain? To add 6 parking spaces and year-round housing for one ranger? That seems hard to justify for an already cash-strapped management agency operating on meager property-taxpayer dollars.
Again, I'm still saying I'd have voted no without more info than was in the article, but I'm keeping an open mind. First, the purchase price wasn't 7% of their total operating budget, but 7% of their acquisition budget. That's different, and as you noted the article was framed in a way to make this not look good. I'd point out that spending 7% of the acquisition budget means they have 93% left. Secondly, even setting aside my theory about the easement issues, it sounds like MROSD permanently resolve an access issue at this point.
El Santo said:
As far as easements - I really don't know any details about how easements are negotiated when you don't own the land that is blocking access - but when private property blocks a major access point to open space, aren't the property owners legally obligated to grant an easement (someone who knows about this please chime in)? If this is the case, then MROSD wounldn't have to buy the land for that purpose - which already sounds like a suspicious justification for buying a ranger a million-dolla house.
Nope, there's no obligation to allow access, at least not public access, unless that is included in the title of the land that you want to cross. The property owner will have to allow passage to public safety agencies such as fire and law enforcement, and maybe public utilities. But that's limited. So you can find parcels of land to which there is no legal access.

In fact, MROSD has something like this problem with access to the top of Mt. Umunhum, where a private property owner has holdings across the road to the top and asserts that it is not a public road

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
HarryCallahan said:
First, the purchase price wasn't 7% of their total operating budget, but 7% of their acquisition budget.

Hmmm. Good catch, I missed that. An acquisition budget is indeed a different thing than an operating budget. Does this mean that MROSD automatically spends $15M a year on land? If so, it sounds like they should be adding a good chunk of land every year (maybe they do this, and I'm just too new to the ballgame to have noticed).

HarryCallahan said:
Nope, there's no obligation to allow access, at least not public access, unless that is included in the title of the land that you want to cross. The property owner will have to allow passage to public safety agencies such as fire and law enforcement, and maybe public utilities. But that's limited. So you can find parcels of land to which there is no legal access.

In fact, MROSD has something like this problem with access to the top of Mt. Umunhum, where a private property owner has holdings across the road to the top and asserts that it is not a public road
Good to know. My assumption stands corrected.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been covered.

Has anyone mentioned what the actual market value of the land was?

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Ridemonkey said:
I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been covered.

Has anyone mentioned what the actual market value of the land was?
...from the Mercury News article above:
"Britton began negotiations to buy the Los Gatos house in early December, when its owners, Phil and Jean Hayes of Santa Cruz County, informed the district of an offer for $960,000 from another buyer. A year earlier the asking price was $1.795 million, and the board had voted not to buy the house. The district secured the property for $950,000, largely because there were fewer real estate commissions involved, said Britton."

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
sanjuro said:
So the $1,500,000 is buying land access, not just a dilapitated home?
Well, not to get too picky, cause its still a million bucks, but it is $1,005,000. $950,000 for the house; $55,000 for the deck repairs. Must be some deck.

The article mentioned that the house gave better access to the north end of the preserve, and having access problems with the last occupants blocking the road. The MROSD map shows the preserve as being two unconnected pieces of land.

I just know if you look at a lot of park maps you see how they are pieced together over time, parcel by parcel. Sale price isn't always related to size.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
HarryCallahan said:
Well, not to get too picky, cause its still a million bucks, but it is $1,005,000. $950,000 for the house; $55,000 for the deck repairs. Must be some deck.

The article mentioned that the house gave better access to the north end of the preserve, and having access problems with the last occupants blocking the road. The MROSD map shows the preserve as being two unconnected pieces of land.

I just know if you look at a lot of park maps you see how they are pieced together over time, parcel by parcel. Sale price isn't always related to size.
I have to admit, I am used to the NY State method of acquiring park land, which is 10,000+ acre parcels in most remote regions, bought in the 1800's by families like the Astors, are donated to the state park system.

Even if this is the way park business is done in NorCal, it is hard to justify a million dollar purchase for 1.5 acres of land.