Quantcast

MRP Fusion Bash Guard

they are a little lighter, and have an aluminum insert so it won't crack if you tighten it to much, and they look pimp and a little less bulky than the E-13, If you think thats worth $10-$15 than go for it, they are really nice, and I think they look better but thats me and I'm not you so, go nuts, I have one and like it.:p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'd be interested to hear some feedback on them as well, just out of curiosity. There were one or two posts in the DH forum about them but it was along the lines of, "Does anyone have any feedback on the MRP Fusion guard?" "Yeah! I got mine last night and it's awesome!"

I can't see what would possibly be worth a 50% price increase over the E.13... Unless, for some reason, you can't use the long chainring bolts.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
wingman24 said:
they are a little lighter, and have an aluminum insert so it won't crack if you tighten it to much
well if you do that then you should not be working on your bike. i wouldnt be surprised if the mrp is not as strong as the e13 as well. a nice, hard hit could probably deform the aluminum that makes up part of the bash. i would just stick with an e13 if i were you.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
gnurider1080 said:
well if you do that then you should not be working on your bike. i wouldnt be surprised if the mrp is not as strong as the e13 as well. a nice, hard hit could probably deform the aluminum that makes up part of the bash. i would just stick with an e13 if i were you.
That thought crossed my mind as well. The e13's are almost twice as thick.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The only MRP guards/guides I know of people running end up in the recycle bin because one good hit and it's bent to hell.

A lot of people used to run them since they are sort of a local company (they used to be in Hillsboro, but I heard they moved), but the e13 stuff is so nice, there is little else on the trails these days.

I thought the e13 stuff was "bullet grade poly"? You would have to wrench well past tight to crack it, I would think.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
jimmydean said:
I thought the e13 stuff was "bullet grade poly"? You would have to wrench well past tight to crack it, I would think.
43 inch lbs, and I'm on my 3rd or 4th bash. I got a black one in the wrong size (44?!) from airbomb (they suck) that I will prolly throw on RM Bike #2. My LBS is looking around for a transparent orange one for the Stinky.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jimmydean said:
Actually, they're very specific in their torque measurements and it doesn't take that much to cause problems. Torque it to their specifications and you'll have a very strong bashguard. If you overtighten the bolts, though, it won't last very long.

Which is one of the advantages of the Fusion guard, of course, but I'm not going to pay an extra $15 just because I'm too lazy to tighten my bolts properly ;)

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Getting a bolt to the right specs isn't very hard even without a special wrench. It isn't worth the extra $15-20 for that. I have nothing but amazing things to say about E.13 and Dave himself. I will always be running a E.13 and I have had my fair share of MRP's, trust me on that. If a few grams is a huge deal for you on a DH/Freeride bike, then I can understand, I guess. E.13 also has some of the best CS in the industry IMO. They also arn't to expensive and worth every penny.

Do the right thing Stinkyboy, and you won't regret it.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
ThePriceSeliger said:
Getting a bolt to the right specs isn't very hard even without a special wrench. It isn't worth the extra $15-20 for that. I have nothing but amazing things to say about E.13 and Dave himself. I will always be running a E.13 and I have had my fair share of MRP's, trust me on that. If a few grams is a huge deal for you on a DH/Freeride bike, then I can understand, I guess. E.13 also has some of the best CS in the industry IMO. They also arn't to expensive and worth every penny.

Do the right thing Stinkyboy, and you won't regret it.
Have Dave send me a trans orange one!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stinkyboy said:
Have Dave send me a trans orange one!
I don't think they're making the trans-orange ones. Still clear and black only.

The other colors are just one-offs for OEM customers. I have a dark trans-blue one that I picked up off eBay just for giggles. Still haven't mounted it but I like knowing that I've got only one of two trans-blue bashguards in the world, and the other one was in Piper's bike so I assume it's trashed by now.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
binary visions said:
I know, but they've had the red ones on the site for at least a year, maybe two now and John P kept saying they weren't producing them and had no plans to in the immediate future.

If the distributor had some, though...
The little "only for the pros" thing is a little old at this point. I lusted after Cedric's opaque orange one, sent an email, and got no reply.

WTF?!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stinkyboy said:
The little "only for the pros" thing is a little old at this point. I lusted after Cedric's opaque orange one, sent an email, and got no reply.
Well, it sucks that you got no reply (considering their customer service record, I find it odd, too - but who knows what might have happened?), but you can't seriously expect that these one-offs for pros or OEM vendors be made available to you, can you?

Pros and OEM customers get custom stuff all the time, but it's not economical for companies to build these one-offs in large quantities. For each color, they need to produce 10 different stocking items, and all of that inventory needs to be managed, not to mention considering what is actually going to sell well and what isn't.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
binary visions said:
Well, it sucks that you got no reply (considering their customer service record, I find it odd, too - but who knows what might have happened?), but you can't seriously expect that these one-offs for pros or OEM vendors be made available to you, can you?

Pros and OEM customers get custom stuff all the time, but it's not economical for companies to build these one-offs in large quantities. For each color, they need to produce 10 different stocking items, and all of that inventory needs to be managed, not to mention considering what is actually going to sell well and what isn't.
Then don't put it on your freaking site. I understand they want custom stuff on the pros bike. It does create a buzz, and is good teaser advertising, but they know by now that people want colors.

It's like Apple sticking with the Bondi blue iMac's but putting other colors on their site (but not for sale)...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
binary visions said:
The other colors are just one-offs for OEM customers. I have a dark trans-blue one that I picked up off eBay just for giggles. Still haven't mounted it but I like knowing that I've got only one of two trans-blue bashguards in the world, and the other one was in Piper's bike so I assume it's trashed by now.
Now that you're probably done giggling, you wanna sell me that paperweight?

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I know you can't get colored superchargers for a SRS, but you can buy them seperatly. Don't go through a middle man and call them. Ask them what colors are available for SuperChargers. It might not be the one you want, but I run the clear ones, and they can match anything IMO, but because all my bikes are black. They also have the red one on the site. Just call them and say you saw the colored supercharger you liked and ask if you can get one. I e-mail the guys there sometimes, but if something is needed or wrong, I go to the phone. This is for you if you're lazy. (207) 772-3132

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
kidwoo said:
Now that you're probably done giggling, you wanna sell me that paperweight?
Pssh. It's just waiting for my next bike build - figured I'd toss it on a trail bike instead of my urban/DH frame so it'll be less inclined to get destroyed quite as quick.

Perhaps it'll go on a dark blue Sovereign :drool:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
binary visions said:
Pssh. It's just waiting for my next bike build - figured I'd toss it on a trail bike instead of my urban/DH frame so it'll be less inclined to get destroyed quite as quick.

Perhaps it'll go on a dark blue Sovereign :drool:
Trail bike?

I gotta 42t ring for that.

Look better on a black uzzi with shiny blue fox bits. You know it would. It's the right thing to do.