Quantcast

mrp guide and crank maintenance questions

Dec 20, 2009
Ok, I recently got a great deal on a parts set, and had a few questions.

Is there a way to tell the MRP G2 from the MRP G2 Mini? I'm trying to figure out what size ring to order.

When I spin the cranks, they sound gritty. Like there's sand around there somewhere. Would this go away with a good cleaning, or should I order a set of bearings for the bottom bracket? It's a Diabolus crank set.

I also have a Morewood frame, and am trying to get the cranks off. They're standard issue Holzfellers, but I can't for the life of me get the allen bolt to let go. Anyone have any tips for this?

Thanks!

Dec 20, 2009
I did...didn't get any replies so I thought I'd try here.
The main issue's telling which guide it is so I can finish the build! All the rest of the parts are on their way.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
my G2 Mini doesnt have any labeling on it to show its a Mini version and i think the backplates b/w the two are pretty similar...so you might need to try a chainring in there to see.

as far as the BB, take the cranks out and clean and spindle and BB area in case there is any dirt in there but more then likely youll need a new BB. those RF BB's are pretty crappy and over torquing them is a fast way to end their life. you can get new bearings for them but it might just be easier to get a new BB.

Dec 20, 2009
Yeah, I figured the bb might be shot.

How do I tell if the ring is too small? A 34 of course fits in the guide, but is there something I should be looking for to tell if it's not going to work correctly?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
How do I tell if the ring is too small? A 34 of course fits in the guide, but is there something I should be looking for to tell if it's not going to work correctly?
check the clearance of the top guide and lower pulley when you have a chain in there. make sure its not too close or too far away from the ring.
you could always hit up MRP on FB or on the phone. the guys over there are great and really helpful