Quantcast

MRP Slalom on Giant DH???

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
I'm just wondering if its possible to fit an MRP Slalom 1 onto my Giant DH Comp? I'd prefer to run the 1 instead of the 2 if possbile as the set up on the 2 is a pain in the butt.
I'm running 4 bolt truvativ's and the standard Race Face BB that comes with the giant.

Brock*

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Yes, you can do this. I ran that set up for the past two years. If you countersink the roller bolts on the boomarang, you can get the chainline to an almost acceptable condition.

The linkage will take a big hit and still work. I had chunks of aluminum missing.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Yeah, that would be a bad idea.

You want your guide to be the low point on the bike to protect the linkage bits. The Evil 38special (not sure if I have the name right) is just the ticket.

If other people are paying for your bikes and parts I suppose it's ok to have "chunks of aluminum missing" :rolleyes: (good lord), but I buy my own stuff and like to have it last.

DHRacer001

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Get the World Cup system 1. The one that go's from 36-44. It is just the perfect size to be a little larger then the linkage. That way if you high side it hits the guide and not the linkage.

I love mine, it works awsome. It makes a little niose in the largest cog on the back b/c of the weird chainline, but other then that no complaints.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Damn True
Yeah, that would be a bad idea.

You want your guide to be the low point on the bike to protect the linkage bits. The Evil 38special (not sure if I have the name right) is just the ticket.

If other people are paying for your bikes and parts I suppose it's ok to have "chunks of aluminum missing" :rolleyes: (good lord), but I buy my own stuff and like to have it last.
44 special is what you have, 38 special is a gun or a rock band.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Damn True
I was thinking "44 Special" then I thought, "That's silly, there's no such f'n thing as a 44 Special. Must be a 38 Special."

There I go applying logic.....:rolleyes:
Yeah, stop thinking....It will make you fatter:eek:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Originally posted by DHRacer001
Get the World Cup system 1. The one that go's from 36-44. It is just the perfect size to be a little larger then the linkage. That way if you high side it hits the guide and not the linkage.

I love mine, it works awsome. It makes a little niose in the largest cog on the back b/c of the weird chainline, but other then that no complaints.
If you decide to go with the World Cup, go with the System 2. Otherwise, the innerplate get's way too close to the swingarm or the chainline sucks. Even with the Slalom System 1 and a ton of tweaks to the chain guide, bottom bracket and even the cranks, the chain tends to bounce down the cassette while back pedaling. If you haven't had this happen on your Giant, I would be really surpized. As far as messed up linkages go, like I said, my bearing still had no more resitance than they were out of the box. The rocker linkage are way over built. Additioanlly, it just takes a call to Giant to get some more parts for next to nothing.

Or just get a E13 SRS and not have to mess around.