Quantcast

MS Bike Tour recap (caution: roadie content)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yesterday was our annual Multiple Sclerosis Bike Tour. We ride for my sister, who has been battling MS for about 15 years now. Team Peanut Butter Jelly Time consisted of:

MBC (team captain)
myself
Douglas
MMcG
Laura (MMcG's woman)
cousin Rachel (non monkey)
cousin Keith (non monkey)

We decided to do the 50 mile tour. Our other option was 100, since there was no 75 mile option this year. A few of us were a little worried that we'd struggle with 50 miles since we have not logged a lot of road miles so far this year. We all did fine. :)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Our festivites started Saturday evening with a cookout at our place. We loaded up on burgers, hot dogs, beer, pasta salad, beans, and cake.

Sunday morning we were up early for a pre ride breakfast. Pancakes, coffee, fruit, and juice. Unfortunately, MMcG and his little lady couldn't make it, thus the two empty plates.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
And then it was off to the ride. The weather report all week was iffy. As of Sunday morning, they were saying overcast, slight chance of rain, temps in the upper 60's. It did rain slightly during the first few miles of the ride and it felt a lot colder. We warmed up after about 10 miles though and the rain held off for the most part. It certainly could have been a lot worse.

Rachel followed by MBC early in the ride.

The first rest stop, 7.5 miles in. Normally we don't take breaks this early in rides, but we have to stop and check out the goods available! :D We also had to stop to let MMcG and Laura catch up. They got a late start due to some mechanical issues with Laura's bike. There were actually four rest stops during the ride and we stopped at them all. I scored a few free Odwalla bars. :)

MMcG and Doug rolling into the first stop. Don't let the pic fool you....Doug got there about 10 minutes before us but went back to round up Mark and Laura.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Like I said, a few of us we were worried that we'd struggle with the 50 miles given our limited mileage this year. However, we were at least 1.5 MPH faster this year. My bike computer showed a 15.0 average for 52.5 miles. I know were in the low 13's last year (hey, we're not speed demons :D ). I got tired during the last five miles, but otherwise I felt great. Everyone rode so well yesterday. An excellent day of riding for such a great cause. :)

A special HUGE thanks to the monkeys who supported us this year and in past years. :thumb: :love:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
narlus said:
i was wondering the same, but couldn't find the attachment point. they looked like they were glued onto their faces or glasses.

I think Rachel figured out how to use hers at mile 48 :rofl:

it definitely was a fun ride :thumb:

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
The little grey squares are the "take a look" brand rear views. They are really good.

Big ups on the ride! I'm doing the MS 150 Tour De Vine VA this weekend. Going to do the 150 on my Mtn. Bike. I've been taking my hardtail out on road rides with lot's of climbing on the parkway and logging about 70 miles a day. I should be good to push 75 saturday and 75 sunday. Now if only I could have an easier time raising money.

J

JRB

Good job on the ride. Nice - rollin' mirrors. I feel naked without them now.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I want some kind of mirror for the occasions I am doing the pulling, so I dont have to do the occasional look back to know if everyone else is still there :wonky2:

J

JRB

douglas said:
I want some kind of mirror for the occasions I am doing the pulling, so I dont have to do the occasional look back to know if everyone else is still there :wonky2:
I'll post a pic of my Tiger Eye tonight. It is the best I have used. Easy to adjust and doesn't vibrate.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
douglas said:
all that one had was orange slices and chunks of pineapple....kinda messy in the pockets :cool:
I was disappointed that none of the rest stops had these Nutter Butter bars this year.
That made me sad. -----> :( see.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It was a really good ride. The crappy weather held off for the most part and the temperatures were pretty nice to ride in overall.

Good times. Looking forward to next year and hopefully we'll have Narlus and Tigg join us. Maybe Splaticus too! :thumb:

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
MtnBikerChk said:
The money shot!

From L to R: MMcG, Laura, Doug, Rachel, Me, Keith, IAB and in the center, IAB's sister, Linda.
Nice! that shot is money! I can't wait for our MS tour this weekend :cool:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well Dalton Doug has first dibs on the spare bedroom next year since he is a repeat customer, but we have a futon downstairs and lots of floorspace. :D