Quantcast

MS Excel ? (kinda advanced)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ok :monkey: 's I need some help.

This is what I have done. I have built a model. On tab 1 is the final output, basically it is an if/then statement.

If true return value from Tab2
If fales return value from Tab3

Now my what I cant figure out is.... If it returns the "true" value to return it in say black font, if the "False" value another color.

Any suggestions?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
MTB_Rob_NC said:
Ok :monkey: 's I need some help.

This is what I have done. I have built a model. On tab 1 is the final output, basically it is an if/then statement.

If true return value from Tab2
If fales return value from Tab3

Now my what I cant figure out is.... If it returns the "true" value to return it in say black font, if the "False" value another color.

Any suggestions?

I have no idea. I have enough trouble with if statements! If excel made any sense which it doesn't there would be some sort of tag you could attach to each statement.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jdschall said:
I have no idea. I have enough trouble with if statements! If excel made any sense which it doesn't
uhhh... ok thanks :wonky2:

Excel is actually pretty logical, but it does have a few quirks. This one is bothering me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You're going to have to do it in a macro. TargetAddress will be your "final output" cell, if I understand what you're trying to do.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
     If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then
          If Range("A1").Value = True
               Range("A1").Font.ColorIndex = 3
          End If
          If Range("A1").Value = False
               Range("A1").Font.ColorIndex = 1
          End If
     End If
End Sub
ColorIndex 3 is red, 1 is black... I just knew those, you'll have to experiment with others. That will take your "final output" cell and turn it red if true, and black if false.

The statement is saying, any time the workbook changes, check to see if it's "target.address" that changed. If yes, check the value of A1 and change its color depending on its value. If A1 is not a boolean value, you can use quotes around text values too (e.g. If Range("A1").Value = "yes")

Does that answer your question?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Dammit, I think I figured this out before...something to do with conditional formating under the format menu.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You can do it with conditional formatting in the Format/Conditional Formatting menu, too, but that will only work to change the color of the specific cell you're checking the value of. The macro I gave you performs the same function, but can actually be applied to other cells if you wanted it to (e.g. if you wanted cell B6 to be red when A1 is true, you could do that).

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
binary visions said:
You're going to have to do it in a macro. TargetAddress will be your "final output" cell, if I understand what you're trying to do.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
     If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then
          If Range("A1").Value = True
               Range("A1").Font.ColorIndex = 3
          End If
          If Range("A1").Value = False
               Range("A1").Font.ColorIndex = 1
          End If
     End If
End Sub
ColorIndex 3 is red, 1 is black... I just knew those, you'll have to experiment with others. That will take your "final output" cell and turn it red if true, and black if false.

The statement is saying, any time the workbook changes, check to see if it's "target.address" that changed. If yes, check the value of A1 and change its color depending on its value. If A1 is not a boolean value, you can use quotes around text values too (e.g. If Range("A1").Value = "yes")

Does that answer your question?
That is probably going to do it, unfortunately you would have to dumb it down just a little. I am not very good with the VBA stuff.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
binary visions said:
You can do it with conditional formatting in the Format/Conditional Formatting menu, too, but that will only work to change the color of the specific cell you're checking the value of. The macro I gave you performs the same function, but can actually be applied to other cells if you wanted it to (e.g. if you wanted cell B6 to be red when A1 is true, you could do that).

Conditional formatting wont work in this case because both the true and false values are similar.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
MTB_Rob_NC said:
That is probably going to do it, unfortunately you would have to dumb it down just a little. I am not very good with the VBA stuff.
Then send your spreadsheet to BV with a $25 gift certificate...

A macro would be the only way to do it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just go to Tools, select Macro and select Visual Basic Editor. Double click on the worksheet on the left that this macro will apply to. Paste in what I wrote.

Here's what the code means:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)  [COLOR="Red"]'WHEN THE WORKSHEET CHANGES, CHECK THE VALUE OF THE CELL THAT CHANGED[/COLOR]
     If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then  [COLOR="Red"]'IF THE CELL THAT CHANGED IS CELL A1, THEN DO THIS[/COLOR]
          If Range("A1").Value = True  [COLOR="red"]'IF THE VALUE OF A1 IS TRUE, THEN DO THIS[/COLOR]
               Range("A1").Font.ColorIndex = 3  [COLOR="red"]'CHANGE THE FONT COLOR TO RED[/COLOR]
          End If  [COLOR="red"]'ENDING IF FOR IF A1 IS TRUE[/COLOR]
          If Range("A1").Value = False  [COLOR="red"]'IF THE VALUE OF A1 IS FALSE, THEN DO THIS[/COLOR]
               Range("A1").Font.ColorIndex = 1  [COLOR="red"]'CHANGE THE FONT COLOR TO BLACK[/COLOR]
          End If  [COLOR="red"]'ENDING IF FOR IF A1 IS FALSE[/COLOR]
     End If  [COLOR="red"]'ENDING IF FOR IF THE CHANGED CELL IS A1[/COLOR]
End Sub  [COLOR="red"]'END SUBROUTINE[/COLOR]

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MTB_Rob_NC said:
Didnt work. Does it have anything to do with the range I want this to actually apply to?
I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Do you mean, is "A1" some kind of important item? No, it's a totally arbitrary cell value that I stuck in there for an example. If the cell you want it to apply to is C57, then put C57 in there. If you want to check B26's True/False status and change cell D93's color based on the results, then you can do that, too.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If it's not critical that you finish this today, I'll PM you my email address and I can look at it for you. It should only take me 2 minutes to see what's going on with it.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
binary visions said:
I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Do you mean, is "A1" some kind of important item? No, it's a totally arbitrary cell value that I stuck in there for an example. If the cell you want it to apply to is C57, then put C57 in there. If you want to check B26's True/False status and change cell D93's color based on the results, then you can do that, too.
I want your script to apply to a certain range of cells, not just A1, or it could be whole sheet since only the important stuff is using an if/then statement.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
binary visions said:
If it's not critical that you finish this today, I'll PM you my email address and I can look at it for you. It should only take me 2 minutes to see what's going on with it.
No rush. Arent we meeting to ride tomorrow anyway? That Catawba THTB thing was canceled. If this is your skill level, I may have an easy $ job for you we can discuss. :D