Quantcast

MS Mountain Bike Challenge

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
Has anyone here participated in the MS Mountain Bike Challenge out in Fall City? What's it like? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Been doing it the past 5 years and been "somewhat involved" the past 4.
Good times, good cause.
We're trying to put together more trail and less road this year and make the "Epic" well, more epic. The SVT washout threw a last minute twist into it. But, I'm thinking the course will still kick most people's butts. Probably about 35 miles give or take. About half is singletrack and the rest is the SVT, logging roads, and the like.
Like to mix it up some every year just to keep people on their toes. If you like it, let me know. If you didn't... well, you can tell me that too. we try to do the best with what we have. (Psst, new trail this year... It just, "appeared".)

Need more details, let me know.

Remember, it's NOT a race. Every year, when I'm pre-riding to make sure all the flags and markings have not been f'd with, some yahoo in some team gear sportin the most expensive roadie helmet and Brikos comes flyin' up and just has to tell me that they are the first one. Never the same guy. Just the same getup.
It's pretty predictable and, pretty damn funny.

Only MTB ride like this in the country and, probably 4-5 hundred riders this year. Good times. Shows the eco-freaks and mtb haters that we care too.

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
Sounds like a good time. I'll give it a try this year. How technical is the singletrack on the epic route? Or, what other local trails would the singletrack be comparable to for comparison (Tiger, Skookum, Crystal Loop, etc)?

Thanks for the info...

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I did the 10 mile loop with my mom 3 years ago....it was all old jeep trails, which was fine since she doesn't like to ride on the dirt :confused:

I think if you do one of the longer loops it gets more into single track.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
For comparison purposes it would be closer to Tiger than the others. But, not the same wide open freeway that Tiger's become.
Snacks is right, the longer you go, the more singletrack you get.
The cool part is that we "mix and match" it so you can add singletrack loops if you want and not do them if you don't. This works well for the folks who are doing the Weekend Warrior loop and want a taste of a little extra.
The beginner loop is different than what Snacks and her mom did. We're going East now on the SVT, out to the big curved trestle over Tokul creek and back instead of West, towards Griffin, like before. More scenic.

No races this year to compete with. But, the Leavenworth festival is the same day... :( Can't get a later date for the MS Ride from the land manager due to the fire danger possibilites that summer brings. This was the latest they would go. Sign up, it's fun. And, for a good cause. We can't incorporate all the goods out there because of course flow. But, it will give you a good indication of what's out there.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Sounds really cool!! I'm hoping my knee is better (yah right). That sounds like a fun event to partake in.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Yeah, it's pretty fun. But, probably won't be of much interest to the majority of riders on this list based on the posts. (No road gaps and monster table tops) And, no shuttles of the automotive or ski lift kind.... ;)

Still a great time with tons of riders. Got to ride most of the loop with Ned Overend a few years back. Beyond cool.
(Yeah, I know most of you young'ens will be doing a Google search to see who the heck that guy is...)

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I did one back in '96. That was one of my first true mountain bike rides. Heheheheh...toe straps, fully rigid bike and sweatpants. What the hell was I thinking?
Regardless, that was a fun day.
From my recollections, the singletrack was some semi-techy, narrow stuff. It was a monsoon the time I rode so it was pretty tricky...especially for the newb that I was.:o:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Big difference between that course and this one. Way more singletrack. (Hoping to have it all trail some day...) plus, they used to go longer, with more road. Now, it's about 10 miles shorter. But, with more singletrack.
No worries, I still see people out there on the Epic loop in the same getup!
Good for them! But, man, the tighty whiteys have gotta hurt after 4 hours in the saddle.