Quantcast

MS trash...in other words something supposed to be simple ain't. Printer sharing.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OK, I have a Linksys WRT54GX2 WiFi route in the house. I just moved my office to a bedroom upstairs. Now, I bought an HP750 printer from some friends, and have an old intell 950- celeron box just sitting there. I loaded XP Pro on it with nothing but AVG anti virus and Webroot's Spysweeper.

So all I wanted to do was load the box, basic software, hook up the printer, select share printer and have everyone in the house have access to it. I reloaded the XP OS on it for a clean install after a reformat of the hard drive. It still can't be seen. SO any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking it may be the router and a configuaration with it. So far I have static IP's but am not too concerned with having them set up, or at least the idiot(er)(est) box :D with a dedicated address.

Thanks in advance.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Easiest way to make sure everything is turned on properly is to go to the Windows Help, search for "network setup wizard" and click the "Start the Network Setup Wizard" link (you can do it through start/run too but I can't remember the name of the utility).

Step through the wizard as appropriate and make sure all of your computers are in the same workgroup, as said above.