Quantcast

MSA World Cup 2012

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I guess you never had an abrasion that seriously hurt your movement and didnt heal for days. Not to mention many riders dont wear elbows and elbow pads do prevent serious injury. Hit the ground with it wrong and you are done for quite some time.

Also landing with your ribs on the rocks with or without chest protection makes a difference. It is a rare case so I understand why some people choose to wear less for race runs but for training you are bound to crash a few times when you test your limits.
you guess wrong.
body armor or elbow guards wouldnt have prevented my forearms from getting chewed up the several times it has happened.
and going back to my original comment, what would body armor have done in Gee's epic crash? prevent some cuts and scrapes? in crashes like that, most armor would have shifted around to really do any good.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
is that you pspec?

you also didnt answer my question
Well fitted, high quality armor would not have shifted. If you believe armor in a crash like that has to shift you have no idea about body armor. That is why I like PoC stuff so much. My old dainese body armor also worked very well but it fitted me perfectly. Looking at Gees knee pictures a better knee pad could have helped him. I dont know what is he using though and how well it fits him. Though since his knee seems only scraped he was lucky.
In the end I wasnt only talking about crashes like that. I have a good friend who was sidelined for 2 years because of an elbow injury which could have been easily prevented had he been wearing proper elbow pads.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So, these qualifying results seems to suggest that American's really CAN compete at the WC level, however it is too expensive for them to go to all these European WC events. Unless this track is just way different from the other ones. I mean there are like 9 Americans who qualified. That's got to be a modern record. Thoughts?
er.. how do you think the 50+ Euro riders afford to do the US/Can/SA rounds?

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
What happened with Kovarik? Always been one of my favorite riders. He got chicked by Rachel.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
What happened with Kovarik? Always been one of my favorite riders. He got chicked by Rachel.
Damn. didn't even think to look at that. To be fair, he showed up to race against people who have been training all year with factory support. That's a tough battle to fight.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Damn. didn't even think to look at that. To be fair, he showed up to race against people who have been training all year with factory support. That's a tough battle to fight.
Im pretty sure not all of the 80 qualified riders have factory support. A flat tire maybe. He had some bad luck with them.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Their national cycling federations actually give a sh*t and give them financial support? I thought that was always the difference. I could be wrong though, I'm known to be. I'm just proposing an idle theory.

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Gee looked pretty good today all things considering. He was limping a little, but not too bad.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Their national cycling federations actually give a sh*t and give them financial support? I thought that was always the difference. I could be wrong though, I'm known to be. I'm just proposing an idle theory.
Most (all?) of the national federations don't give a sh*t. It's a matter of riders doing whatever it takes to make their season happen. For whatever reason you just don't see as many US riders willing to slum it on couches with a shoestring budget. Duncan's the last guy who really comes to mind.

The Brits and Aussies certainly don't have any advantage in terms of support.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Most (all?) of the national federations don't give a sh*t. It's a matter of riders doing whatever it takes to make their season happen. For whatever reason you just don't see as many US riders willing to slum it on couches with a shoestring budget. Duncan's the last guy who really comes to mind.

The Brits and Aussies certainly don't have any advantage in terms of support.
I guess I was under the wrong impression then :). Stupid poor, lazy Americans!

gravityhelps

Chimp
Jun 19, 2012
article on another website said he had a mechanical and judging on how many people blew up wheels it was probably something to that effect sucks i would have like to see him shake it up in the final

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Poor old Gravey out with a front flat in Quali :(
Yeah was just checking the quali results and boy, the last few races haven't really been his up to par with his first result in PMB. Hope he sticks a good result in Windham. IMHO, he should have stuck with 4x. I've hardly seen anybody ride a hardtail as fast as that man.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Or the Kiwis and Aussies? Bloody hell, Europe is just a short hop from the States by comparison, and until recently our money wasn't worth a pinch of crap anywhere.

Can't believe Pugin is smiling in that pic, talk about a tough chick.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Yeah was just checking the quali results and boy, the last few races haven't really been his up to par with his first result in PMB. Hope he sticks a good result in Windham. IMHO, he should have stuck with 4x. I've hardly seen anybody ride a hardtail as fast as that man.
Hard to stick with something your bored of when you can do something you love :) He will podium soon.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
article on another website said he had a mechanical and judging on how many people blew up wheels it was probably something to that effect sucks i would have like to see him shake it up in the final
It does look like it's pretty hard on wheels. Gwin's wheels were dented up big time and just to continue the debate from Ft Bill, he was on Bontrager tires for sure. Did you guys see Danny Hart's tires? Hans Dampf rear.

the Irish Development squad riders only Got 500euro for the world cups which for the like of st anne wont even cover the flights so thats a moot point (the Aussies do back them properly tho)

not olympic sport no intrest. (and the fact that the state is broke doesnt help either)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Moving on from rider developement, does anybody else miss the old vital slideshow format as much as I do? The slideshows with the backround music and voice overs used to be my favorite part of the WC coverage next to the live feed, but now its just kind of meh. Anybody know why they decided to abandon the old way?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Couldn't keep air in the tires there either! :)

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
It rained a lot last night and then had a few downpours today. Practice was moved from 9:30 start to noontime. The course seems to have held up well not much grease on the rocks, and the open sections seemed to have just sponged up the water.

Danny Hart threw down a near race speed run first thing. Like a half hour before any other riders even started. Gee and Beaumont looked to be running full throttle, and there was a little train of Syndicate and Lapierre riders. Some of the others were being studious - like the Warrens.

Oh yeah, I also talked to Lopes a bit - he didn't seem like a dick to me, but I haven't seen him park either.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Kovarik blew up his fork right out of the gate. "Major mechanical". Apparently he also had brake issues.
Maybe fork oil on brakes?

I'll tell you what though, Claire looks faster than ever. Taking time away from the circuit rarely seems to help, but in her case it sure seems like it has.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Maybe fork oil on brakes?

I'll tell you what though, Claire looks faster than ever. Taking time away from the circuit rarely seems to help, but in her case it sure seems like it has.
Well, when taking time away from the circuit means moving to whistler all summer, australia all winter, marrying of the fastest men on on a Dh bike and riding with him every single day... it's not really surprising!