Quantcast

Mt Adams in a day

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Fall semester starts tomorrow at WSU and I wanted to get out into nature one last time before I had to get back to the grind. We decided to climb Mt Adams.

We got to the trail head, cold springs campground friday evening, ate, and went straight to bed. Up at 2:30 am to start the hike at 3. We hiked in the dark until it got light (haha). worked out good, because thats when we hit snow and had to pull out the crampons and ice axes. We got to the lunch counter around 8:30 and pulled out food, because the next 3,000 ft of climbing were going to be steep and hard. It was basically take 30 steps and rest 5 minutes. the high altitude didn't help either. We finally got to the summit around noon, with sweet views of the top of Mt. Hood, St. Helens, and Rainer. The forest fire haze really killed alot of the good views. The climb down went alot faster, we were able to slide down 1,000 ft of glacier. it was fast and fun, but my hands went numb and i got snow in every crack of all my clothes. well worth it though. We piled into the cars around 5pm, dogged and beat.

It was one of the funnest, and most tiring experiences of my life. Hope you all enjoy some of the pics I took
from the road to the trailhead

sunrise

during a break on the hard part. we were definitly not alone on this trek

my bro

finally at the summit

me, with Rainer

On the trail down. Its hard to believe we did all this in a day

FatalExposure

Monkey
Sep 2, 2005
Go earlier in the year and ski from the false summit down the SW chutes. One of the best easily obtainable ski descents in the PNW.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Skookum said:
Frikkin tripped out shelter on the summit man!
yea no kidding. it was supposedly 100 years old or so. They used to mine sulfur up there and that was left over from the mine. The whole interior was filled to the brim with snow.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Try doing it in late June or early July when you can ski or board it. Done it twice, way fun.
would you climb to the summit and start down, or just go to pikers peak? camp at lunchcounter, or just do it all in one day? it sounds like alot of fun and i'm sure theres a lot less people up there. peace