Quantcast

Mt Ashland Super D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I wasn't sure where to post this, so here it is and I'll link to it from other posts maybe.

Sunday was my first ever Super D race. We drove down Saturday morning so we could get a practice run in. The drive down from Bend is really nice - almost all through National Forests. Mt Thielson is one of my favorite mountains in the area because it's so pointy :)

I thought I'd be funny and wear my Big Bear 100 jersey for this little 12 mile Super D race. Here I am all padded up, wearing my new baggies!

The course starts with a big snow section. I practice a scooter method that seemed to work the best since everytime someone tried to ride it they would just fall and biff it. I thought I had it down, but in my race I blanked out and tried to ride, got all squirrely and had to stop and get off and run it all the way through.

The course had one giant climb that I thought I could do well on but in the race I felt like I was going so slow and thought I might puke at any time. I haven't done ANY high intensity stuff since in about 2 years, except for the DH race last month. After the FOREVER climb, it winds into the woods. Here we are with the start back behind us on the snowy mountain.

Fun stuff!

Stu clearing the double with some style.

After that the course got really fast and steep. The last mile or so is a steep rutted switchback singletrack that knifes along the edge of a cliff. In the race I came FLYING into the first switchback, saw a bunch of people standing there and lost focus. I blew the switchback and ended up in the bushes by the time I could stop. OOPS!!!!

Anywho, I ended up with a pretty good time, missing 1st place by 19 seconds and getting 2nd overall for the ladies. Oregon being as sweet as it is, I won $75 for that effort!

Oh, and do you think this is a sign? Earlier last week I was asking about DH helmets...

I won this Mad Max II in the raffle after the race!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
brungeman said:
congrats!

were you rockin the 575?
Yep, the 575 was a perfect bike for the event. It climbs so damn well. People on big DH bikes were hurtin for certain.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
splat said:
Nice Work Heidi! :thumb:

Nice Pics ! so what was your Overall time ?
I think it was 47:23. Mark Weir from WTB won it for the Pro guys with 36 minutes and something seconds.

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
Mark Weir wins,what a shocker:rofl: . Someone still needs to prove to me that guy isn't an alien:clue:[/QUOTE]

I hear ya on that one. I think he & his WTB boys did about 3-4 runs on Saturday (36-48 miles??), then when we were driving to the ski resort on Sunday morning to race(8 mile uphill paved hwy) they were riding up!

Very impressive......& humbling (guess that's why I was 9 minutes slower than him in my race)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
AEWESOME writeup H! :thumb:

I'm with you Stu - I think Weir is little bit like Obelix - got superhuman strength from falling into some cauldron or majic "potion" when he was young ;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Cool stuff, i've never raced in my life and thought if i ever did it would be for a joke, but Super D really sounds like a fun event.

Aquaholic

Chimp
Jan 5, 2004
Noble Canyon
Hey Heidi!!!!

AWESOME! Way to go girl! Mt. Ashland rocks.

That trail rates up there as one of my favorites.

We miss seeeing you guys around here.

Say Hi to everyone.

Steve

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
SkaredShtles said:
So what is Super D? Like gnarly XC?

This one was basically a huge downhill with one XC section thrown in. The downhill was pretty smooth though, and didn't neeed more than 4 or 5 inches.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
.:Jeenyus:. said:
This one was basically a huge downhill with one XC section thrown in. The downhill was pretty smooth though, and didn't neeed more than 4 or 5 inches.
What he said. Only, most Super D's are 2-5 miles. They really vary on distance. Most do not have as much climbing as this one did.