Quantcast

Mt. Baker trails

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I'm spending a weekend in October at a lodge next to the Mt. Baker ski area. Does anyone know if there are any mtb trails up there? I'm trying to decide if I should bring my bike.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
You mean you're staying at a lodge in Glacier? There's no lodging at the ski area or even close to it (Glacier being the closest at ~25 miles). Glacier though, does have some riding and I believe its all legal. Go to the Ski and Board shop there in Glacier and talk to the guys there, they should give you low down on everything.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
You mean you're staying at a lodge in Glacier? There's no lodging at the ski area or even close to it (Glacier being the closest at ~25 miles). Glacier though, does have some riding and I believe its all legal. Go to the Ski and Board shop there in Glacier and talk to the guys there, they should give you low down on everything.
I'll be staying 1/3 of a mile from the ski area according to this:
http://www.thefirs.org/index.php?page=mt_baker_chalet_rental

I've never been there, but 0.3 miles seems pretty close.

I'll check out the shop on my way up there, or just call ahead.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Oh yeah I forgot about the Firs, you're right that is right next to the ski area. Unfortunately there is no riding up at the ski area as its in a National Park. Lots of hiking trails, just no bikes allowed. Glacier is still your best bet for riding.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Above Glacier is an unmaintained XC trail called Canyon Ridge. It's the only trail open to mt. bikes by the Forest Service in that district. National Parks and Wilderness areas ban mt. biking for no good reason, and there are quite a few trails that are just on regular forest service land that could easily be open, but they are not.

i was told by the gal at the rangers office that i could ride a Llama on many of those trails if i wanted to though....:bonk:

Mt. Baker/Snoqualmie Ranger district is totally anti-biking when compared to Gifford Pinchot or Wenatchee/Cle Elum or hell just about all the other Ranger districts in the state. Most are for the most part cool to mt. bike access.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
yep its all legal, and the bottom is right behind grahams grocery, 2 shuttle points, 3mi and 6mi up the road, drive carefully lots of traffic and it is narrow.

one trail from the 6mi point down to the 3mi area, then there are quite a few trails from there down, well quite a few short ones to link up differently each time. upper trail is quite steep, make sure you have good brakes and tires

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
i was told by the gal at the rangers office that i could ride a Llama on many of those trails if i wanted to though....:bonk:
This makes me want to find a decal for my bike that I can slap on the downtube that says "Llama FR" or something like that. Then I can plead ignorance because "when she told me that I could ride a llama, I knew that no one actually owns llamas let alone rides them, so she must have been referring to my VERY COMMON Llama FR."

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Erik you should do that and let me know how it goes, cause there's definitely some trails up there that I'd like to poach. :biggrin:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
TJ
I'll let you know how the decals come along. I am riding by the way, though not super-hard (avoiding big air and hard skinnies - basically all chances of falling). It's going well, so give me a call sometime if you want to ride. I can ride tomorrow and Monday, but then I go back to work, and the next day is the following Sunday.

And that is a freaking awesome picture.