Quantcast

Mt. Hood, Lift assist??

shuttlefever

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
Enumclaw Wa.
Hey all, just a quick question for the inquiring mind. Is Mt. Hood a lift assist mountain?? and if so is it worth the drive? I like canada but am looking for variety. I am a recreational rider, not a huge hucker but can handle the average to low end stuff.
Shuttlefever~

killowatt

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Rainier, Oregon
Ski bowl at Mt.Hood is where we have lift access mtb. It has a wide range of skill level riding. If you are expecting somthing like Whistler, you will be disapionted. On the other hand, the worst day downhilling, is better that the best day working. It also has lots of other things to do like bungy and bobsled. www.skibowl.com

shuttlefever

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
Enumclaw Wa.
I do ride whistler, but am not really into the "rock star" attitude that seems to be taking over there. I like the more out-of-the-way kinda places. Last year, myself and some friends went to sun peaks in canada, it was a lot of fun, and the attitude was non-existant. I am looking for some stuff in the states to break up the flow!! Thanks for the input.
Shuttlefever~

killowatt

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Rainier, Oregon
If you like a more layed back atmosphre, you should drive a little farther and visit Willamette pass ski resort. Early in the year is the best for the conditions. It gets powdery later in the summer. But the gondola is nice, the resturant is good and there are lots of nice places (lakes) to camp. Not to mention the trails are fun.

killowatt

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Rainier, Oregon
Willamette pass is south of Hood. If you are going south on I-5 turn east on 58. 30 to 45 min. and it's on your left.
P.S. Krustydude rides like a girl. (no offense to the ladies):twitch:

shuttlefever

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
Enumclaw Wa.
so Steezy, is there any hucking at willamette??? and how steep is the downhill stuff at skibowl?? if its steep and technical then its still fun to me.

killowatt

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Rainier, Oregon
Hood has alot of sharp jagged rocks up top some steep areas and lots of flowy single and double track down lower. There is one downfall in that the race courses use some areas that can't be ridden on non-race days. There are also some good trails that are not in the lift accses park.
Willamette pass has less rocks as it is not on a volcano. There are also some steep areas there. More wooded areas open on non-race days.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
i believe it's all open during the weekends at skibowl, i could be wrong.
willamette is a no hucker as well, some tech stuff, not super steep, but both wilamette and skibowl are fun.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Shuttle...Stevens Pass might be opening this summer. Also, let me know if your thinking of racing. I can help you out there. Theres only a few lines at each place to go down. So after a few rides you might get bored. Have you thought of Post Canyon?

killowatt

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Rainier, Oregon
i believe it's all open during the weekends at skibowl, i could be wrong.
willamette is a no hucker as well, some tech stuff, not super steep, but both wilamette and skibowl are fun.
Unless something has changed very recently, the "woods" section of the expert/pro course is closed to rec riding by the forest service.

shuttlefever

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
Enumclaw Wa.
rumor has it that stevens pass is going to be open in 2008 or 9. Where is post canyon and is it shuttleable?
as far as racing goes, i think for me it would take the low key element out of my fun!! no offense, I just wanna ride my bike!

shuttlefever

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
Enumclaw Wa.
Cool deal that your still on the bike Killowatt!! a lot of people would have used that as an excuse to either sell their stuff and quit or change over to roadie. Kudos to you for sticking with the fun stuff!! I understand the element of not as big or fast, I am no longer as young as I used to be and it takes a looooooong time to heal when I do eat it. I broke 2 ribs last year screwing around at SST. Dammit I wish they had the equipment they do now when I was younger!!!!

killowatt

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Rainier, Oregon
Cool deal that your still on the bike Killowatt!! a lot of people would have used that as an excuse to either sell their stuff and quit or change over to roadie. Kudos to you for sticking with the fun stuff!! I understand the element of not as big or fast, I am no longer as young as I used to be and it takes a looooooong time to heal when I do eat it. I broke 2 ribs last year screwing around at SST. Dammit I wish they had the equipment they do now when I was younger!!!!
QUIT??? ROADIE??? No way!
Truth be known, My wife is the brains in the family. She knows me too well. She knows that I ride harder while competing so she put her foot down. Can't say as I blame her. At least she's okay with me continuing to ride rec.
I hear ya on the old thing. (I mean, not as young) I wish that I would have been born 10-15 years later. By the time full suspension was even dreamed up, I was getting to be an old guy in this sport.