Quantcast

Mt. Rainier hike - photos!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i hiked up to camp muir on sunday with a friend and his girlfriend. got sunburnt. had a good time, and am thoroughly exhausted. 6+ hours on the mountain... :dead: for the pac nw locals we made the ascent in 4:10.

gallery: mt. rainier hike photos

a teaser or two:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
hooples3 said:
pretty cool pics , looks like it was great day for it!!
it would have been a great day to wear some sunscreen :dead:

my legs' sunburn HURTS. face is looking like a ghoulish tan so it'll pass muster, but that sock line is a dead giveaway, not to mention the hideous red color...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
it was probably 60 degrees on the snow face. full hiking boots + thick hiking socks + shorts + single long sleeve jersey was just perfect while moving on the way up.

speaking of mellow, there were lots of elderly people who made it up (albeit in more time than us young 'uns)! i was impressed. one of them thought that she had met me on wednesday on the same hike, and that i was from mexico. :confused: :D

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Toshi said:
it would have been a great day to wear some sunscreen :dead:

my legs' sunburn HURTS. face is looking like a ghoulish tan so it'll pass muster, but that sock line is a dead giveaway, not to mention the hideous red color...
:nope:

You need to get yourself some of this stuff.

Looks like a beautiful day for a hike, though!

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
pixelninja said:
:nope:

You need to get yourself some of this stuff.

Looks like a beautiful day for a hike, though!
that's the sad thing. i have plenty of sunscreen. however it didn't do me much good since i left it on the kitchen counter...

:oink:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Awesome stuff Toshi, that must have been pretty fun hike for the most part. The views must be very impressive up there, i'd admire it just for a look down the White River Valley and try to spot all the places i like to ride. :)
From one picture it appears as if you can see some mountains, the Olympic Range perhaps? and if so with a sharp eye you should have been able to see the Seattle city landscape in the distance.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
hmm, i didn't look for or spot seattle, but mt. st. helens and mt. adams were both clearly visible. given that you can see mt. rainier from seattle and tacoma, i imagine the reverse is also true :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Toshi said:
hmm, i didn't look for or spot seattle, but mt. st. helens and mt. adams were both clearly visible. given that you can see mt. rainier from seattle and tacoma, i imagine the reverse is also true :D
Yes the furthest away i've been able to spy the city skyline was from a trail on a ridge right above the little town of Greenwater. The further away you get the harder it is to spot, but it's pretty neat spotting it from an extreme distance appearing so infinitesimal.