Quantcast

MT SNOW NCS- Has the DS course been built yet

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
General Lee said:
they'll probably start the morning of the race
A grassy dual slalom thrown together the morning of the race still nets a better race than a sucky arse 4X track they spend big $ and tons of man hours on.

-ska todd

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
ska todd said:
A grassy dual slalom thrown together the morning of the race still nets a better race than a sucky arse 4X track they spend big $ and tons of man hours on.

-ska todd

Amen, the DS course in DV was kinda sucky, but man was the racing good.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
ska todd said:

-ska todd
very true. . . . especially when the 4x track is made of that beach sand crap mt. snow loves so much

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I had a ton of fun racing the grass DS track at snowshoe.

No offense, but I doubt there was more than an afternoon into the construction of it.

The key with DS is that there are seperate courses so that the racing is intense right up to the finish line instead of most 4X tracks that are just a drag race to the first corner and the all blocking the rest of the way down.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
ska todd said:

-ska todd
Actually, The Grass DS was great at SnowShoe , but so was their 4x..

Mt Snow could have had a good 4x last year if they didnt put it on a spring

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Dig out your old spike tires and memories of Trail 66 races from years past. Almost makes me wish I had a slalom bike together!

-ska todd

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I just checked out the course. 1 sand starthill, 2 sand berms. Grass, gates. Starts up at the exit from yardsale and finishes at the lift, so at least it's long...

I am custom cutting some IRC tamashi deep contacts right now. Like spikes with stiff casings... The course is still outrageously horrible to serve as the sole gated event at the NCS finals. I am hoping that they are still working on it though.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
SuspectDevice said:
I just checked out the course. 1 sand starthill, 2 sand berms. Grass, gates. Starts up at the exit from yardsale and finishes at the lift, so at least it's long...

I am custom cutting some IRC tamashi deep contacts right now. Like spikes with stiff casings... The course is still outrageously horrible to serve as the sole gated event at the NCS finals. I am hoping that they are still working on it though.

Maybe you could run a 50 up and down a few times and help 'em out!!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
SuspectDevice said:
Quick, Transcend boys, round up your 50 posse. Maybe they'll give you a discount on parking or something....
BWAHAHA. They have an entire 50 posse now too...they can cut a course faster then you can blink your eyes!

For proof of this, check out their front lawn....

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
EVERYONE in West Virginia was saying how ****ty the Slalom course was when I got there. Yet practice and qualifying was the most fun I have had on my bike in years. The race though, That was a different story :(

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
heikkihall said:
EVERYONE in West Virginia was saying how ****ty the Slalom course was when I got there. Yet practice and qualifying was the most fun I have had on my bike in years. The race though, That was a different story :(
It looked super lame, but it made for some sweet racing.
Especially seeing a kid I have been racing with for 10 years get 2nd in Pro,
and giving Graves a run for his money.
Slalom is where it is at when it comes exciting racing. They need to ditch 4X and start putting some effort into GOOD slalom courses!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Jeremy R said:
They need to ditch 4X and start putting some effort into GOOD slalom courses!
They need to combine them and make 4 person slalom courses. Now those would rule! They also need to make the obstacles WC 4x sized.

Huge obstacles, 4 riders, seperate courses. WOO

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
SuspectDevice said:
Quick, Transcend boys, round up your 50 posse...
:nope: :nope: :nope: There will be NONE of that!! Having actual fun is strictly forbidden at any Norba National race.

-ska todd

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
heikkihall said:
You did qualify well though.

What corner did you fall in? On the left hand course, the right hand turn after the jump had a flat rock right behind the gate that was taking out a bunch of folks. I was railing that corner in practice and lost the front tire instantly. Several pros crashed on it one afer another.

Panracer Spikes did rule back in the day. I still have 4 fronts. I think the Maxxis Wet Screams would work nicely too. I ran Maxxis Swamp Things and they worked well. Kirkaldee had XC tires and was somehow railing the corners.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
CYCLINGNEWS said:
The revelation of the weekend though was Christopher Herndon (Specialized/Cane Creek), who earned his first-ever NORBA podium at Snowshoe - not one podium, but two mind you. Herndon, who lives in Etowah, North Carolina and has competed in every NORBA in 2005 except Brian Head, had never placed better than a tie for ninth in any NORBA event. He says that his first podium, a fifth place in the Mountain Cross competition, didn't feel like a victory since it came on the back of a couple of other competitor's crashes. His second place in the Dual Slalom felt a lot better. He qualified sixteenth then held off challengers through all the early brackets. Even though he lost in the finale to Graves, Herndon says he cherishes his Dual Slalom podium. "I really feel like I earned it today," he said.
Chris is a good kid(well not a kid anymore I guess) that deserves this recognition. I have never seen him melt down or get pissed about anything. He represents himself well. Lots of pros (well lots of racers) could learn a thing or two from him.

As folks crashing and him getting to the podium because of it, BAH. Its good that he said it but the reality is that crap happens and it doesn't diminish it at all.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
SuspectDevice said:
Quick, Transcend boys, round up your 50 posse. Maybe they'll give you a discount on parking or something....
The last 2 times i went there i just drove by the parking people everyday......smile, wave and keep driving....