Quantcast

Mt. Snow

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
i think graves quali'd first in slalom , its going off/went off/going to go off tonight. i can probably have results later.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Yard sale needs to be banned from a race track, stupidest f-ing thing I ever saw on a race track.

Nice pic Banshee of graves!!

Results??
Someone give it to us...final race of the series and NOTHING???

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
canadiancyclist.com

In gravity racing, the overall series title in the pro women's mountain cross came down to the final heat in the consolation round of Saturday's dual slalom between series leader entering the event, Melissa Buhl (Chandler, Ariz.) and Australian Katrina Miller.

Buhl held just a seven-point lead over Miller and after Tara Llanes (Los Alamitos, Calif.) and Kathy Pruitt (Lake Almanor, Calif.) advanced to the finals, Miller and Buhl were paired against each other in the consolation round.

Racing for third place on the day and the overall series championship, Miller edged Buhl by just one point to claim the championship.

In the primary final, Pruitt bested Llanes for the win.

In the men's dual slalom, an all-Southern Hemisphere final between Australian Jared Graves and New Zealander John Kirkcaldie went to Graves as he claimed his fourth win of the year and the overall series title.

Pro Women's Cross Country

1. Alison Dunlap
2. Shonny Vanlandingham
3. Dara Marks-Marino
4. Willow Koerber
5. Kelli Emmet

Pro Men's Cross Country

1. Geoff Kabush
2. Roland Green
3. Seamus McGrath
4. Adam Craig
5. Mathieu Toulouse

Pro Men's Dual Slalom

1. Jared Graves
2. John Kirkcaldie
3. Cody Warren
4. Jared Rando
5. Christopher Herndon

Pro Women's Dual Slalom

1. Kathy Pruitt
2. Tara Llanes
3. Melissa Buhl
4. Katrina Miller
5. April Lawyer

2004 NORBA National Mountain Bike Series Champions

Pro Women's Cross Country - Shonny Vanlandingham (Durango, Colo.)

Pro Men's Cross Country - Geoff Kabush (CAN)

Pro Women's Mountain Cross - Katrina Miller (AUS)

Pro Men's Mountain Cross - Jared Graves (AUS)

Pro Men's Super D - Mike West (Boulder, Colo.)

Pro Women's Super D - Jennifer Whalen (Idaho Springs, Colo.)

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
stiksandstones said:
Yard sale needs to be banned from a race track, stupidest f-ing thing I ever saw on a race track.

Nice pic Banshee of graves!!

Results??
Someone give it to us...final race of the series and NOTHING???
I'm confused, now I have never seen this "yard sale" section before but I thought you were a proponent of more difficult courses, because the pros are not being challenged enough? Or maybe you were just talking about 4x courses? What is wrong with this "yard sale" section?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Damn,
Herndon has gotten three top fives in a week.
5th in Snowshoe MTX
2nd in Snowshoe Slalom
5th in Vermont Slalom.
That's sweet.
It looks like over the years at least a tiny amount of that speed would have rubbed off on me. What is it that I always say about turd polish? :D

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
WheelieMan said:
I'm confused, now I have never seen this "yard sale" section before but I thought you were a proponent of more difficult courses, because the pros are not being challenged enough? Or maybe you were just talking about 4x courses? What is wrong with this "yard sale" section?
It is at the end of a long hard run and it is all steep rocks with big gaps between them it is there pretty much for the spectators to watch people crash.
See video here from last years NORBA race at Snow:
http://mkfilms.com/vid-MOUNT-SNOW-DH.html

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
WheelieMan said:
too many people get hurt in yardsale. most people would rather not ride it. someone already broke their neck there. thats pretty serious. Even pros struggle on that section. its a huge fast bouldery rockgarden. i have never ridden yardsale (simply because i am not confident enough to ride it) but i have walked it and it is nothing short of rediculous.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
WheelieMan said:

here ya go (saturday's expert DH w/my cheapo camera)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
WheelieMan said:
Proponent of more difficult courses??? wtf???

In DH I am a proponent of RACING TRACKS, ones where there is a race going on-one where people can showcase their skills and training all in one. Yardsale is a trials section, it is overly difficult and just stupid, has no place in a race track. If you wanna have a bigger balls comp with your buddys, that's what it's for-it has no place in a race. Especially after racing high speed for 2 minutes with heartrate at 180, then shoved into a section like that. I want a series winner to have raced tracks that are varied (fire road track, short course, mud, rock sections, etc...)-but this shows me nothing in a bike racer.

Every year when I go to Vermont and see its still there and raise hell, I am called a pussy, a faggot, all kinds of sweet names. I then ask promoters and riders why it is there-I usually get the same reply "You see where all the people are standing at dont ya and hear the crowd?" Uhhhh, people like watching carnage-whats on the highlight reel of stupid american news every sunday night-nascar crashes, what do big fat rednecks talk about? "did you see bubba johnson crash in the nascar race?". People like to watch carnage-thats all that yard sale is about.

Some of the really cool guys will tell me how rad the section is-but its usually the guys with small dicks, real DH racers do not care for stuff like that. Whats worse is Mt. Snow has had some classic courses, but they keep throwing this section in. I am wasting my fingers, no one cares.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
This just in from a friend of mine who races, that is in yardsale-on his mobile....ironic part is Hannah is one of the guys who has told me how cool yard sale is-yeah, sounds great bud! To Mt Snow-way to go, yardsale is keeping the customer coming back for more.

been drizzling/rain all morning, so far i know kirkcaldie crashed three times in qualy, hannah crashed in the yardsale and his neck is bloody and swollen, dave ziegman over the bars in the same section and knocked himself and some teeth out! and thats the only people ive talked to, who knows how many more people killed themselves, this **** is nuts

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Yeah apparently Mick went out on a backboard, Bosch broke some ribs, Brian Piper broke his leg, and its pouring now. Not good.

dw

Ltfoot

Chimp
Aug 7, 2005
Pacific Ocean
Make's me sick reading this about people getting hurt. These are guys that know how to ride well, it's not like their fools over their heads and it’s not like there is a paycheck at the end of the day! Hate to see the amateurs injured list. Didn’t they stop running Yard Sale just before the race last year?

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Yardsale really wasn't that bad before today. I watched some experts struggle with it but there were certainly some lines to be found. Junior Xers completely ripped it up, they made it look easy. With all the rain today though, I'm sure all that loose dirt became slick, slick, SLICK mud. I actually heard rumors they were going to force the pro's the long way to avoid wrecks (apparently just that, a rumor). That does suck that so many pro's were hurt, but in dry weather it didn't look like anything that they couldn't handle.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
dogwonder said:
Yardsale really wasn't that bad before today. I watched some experts struggle with it but there were certainly some lines to be found. Junior Xers completely ripped it up, they made it look easy. With all the rain today though, I'm sure all that loose dirt became slick, slick, SLICK mud. I actually heard rumors they were going to force the pro's the long way to avoid wrecks (apparently just that, a rumor). That does suck that so many pro's were hurt, but in dry weather it didn't look like anything that they couldn't handle.
thing is, it's not *that* hard. Its actually rather easy (all but one of the expert women rode it). HOWEVER, the consequences for failure are HORRIBLE, and combined with the fact that its at the very bottom of the (5min, relatively rough) course, you have exhausted people trying to pin it through the section, and a high percentage of people crash on it, and many of those get hurt quite badly. Combine that with people catching up to others, some going fast, some going slow through the section, and you've got carnage. I've ridden harder sections at Plattekill, but there wasn't such a penalty for error. With this its you either pin it easily or you crash and get REALLY hurt...

The Yardsale wouldn't be so much of a draw if they allow'd people to ride the lift for free. That way more people could be at the top where some of the more fun and interesting parts of the course were...

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I was up there Fri and Sat.. Had a great time and managed to place 3rd in my class (Beginner Men 30-34). Conditions were dryer than they've ever been at Mt. Snow and the racing was great. I couldn't get back up tehre today, so I missed the Pro finals, but watching the Experts come down Yard Sale was enough!! Holy Sh!t there was some carnage!!! I believe they got soem rain up there today so I"m sure it was a mess. I've got some photos I'll try to get up later. They're not all that great, but it'll give you an idea of what it was like.

dondon

Monkey
It seems for the overall there was a big dispute with the points, after counting qualifying runs all year, they didnt count it today. Needles qualified 2nd and with a 4th in his race after a crash -his overall points bumped him into 3rd for the series. But at awards he was given 4th and told qualifying points didnt count today.

Also ironic to see reigning national champ Duncan Riffle take the win after not getting selected to go to Worlds this year by USA cycling. Go Duncan you show them.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
dante said:
thing is, it's not *that* hard. Its actually rather easy (all but one of the expert women rode it). HOWEVER, the consequences for failure are HORRIBLE, and combined with the fact that its at the very bottom of the (5min, relatively rough) course, you have exhausted people trying to pin it through the section, and a high percentage of people crash on it, and many of those get hurt quite badly. Combine that with people catching up to others, some going fast, some going slow through the section, and you've got carnage. I've ridden harder sections at Plattekill, but there wasn't such a penalty for error. With this its you either pin it easily or you crash and get REALLY hurt...
Excellent point on being at the end of the race and fatigue is surely a factor. When someone is in rhythm, it looks like anyone could do it. But when people go down, it is ugly. For practice on Friday, I did think a guy broke his neck. And wrecking at the bottom certainly involved pointy rocks. It was scary to see someone come down the right line (generally not too fast) and the next rider come down the preferred line (going a little faster) and someone in his back pocket (pinning it). There was a 3 way convergence or two I distinctly recall.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
dondon said:
1st duncan
2nd cody
3rd graves
American's 1 & 2...glad to see a little bit of a comeback for the hometeam.

Props to Graves as well, he was crushing the competition in DS and then he's on the podium again. And he is so smooooooooth riding, makes me sick.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
ya yardsale wasnt that hard at the speed i did it..and yeah you could get horribly messed up at speed through it so why not slow down...then u wont get really messed up if/when u crash.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sorry for no results, I am in europe at the moment and am 5 hours ahead. I still haven't received full Dh results, but will post them as soon as I receive them, and the writeup.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Hey, there was some money to compete for. e.thirteen put up $2000 for the 1st place finishers in the series, and Go-Ride and IronHorse put up a big chunk for the top finishing Americans. I'd love to see incentives higher, but at least some of us are making an effort to help.

dw

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
I got 2nd in sport DS (would have done jr x, but thought the course would be gnar :nope: ) In the first run of the final, i was standing at the gate and looked at my shifter, 9th Gear! Got a slow start on the slower of the 2 courses and had an .06 deficit. Came back my second run and pinned it, it would have been a 23 second run (fast) and i was 2 gates ahead of the kid and just ate it super hard. Made me really mad because the kid was talking so much crap, and hes 18 compared to me being 14. :mumble: Whatever, Jr X next time...

For DH i got 5th in 16 and under. (mid pack 18 and under)

I was stoked on 2 podiums in a weekend!

BTW, anyone have pics of 812, or 1345 ( Both me, Lost my # plate...)