Quantcast

Mt. St. Helens is growing...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1100955980155870.xml

After more than a month of nonstop lava flow, Mount St. Helens continues to squeeze immense volumes of molten rock to the surface, in what has become a remarkably stable eruption.
Scientists studying the volcano said Friday that the steady outpouring of lava is showing no signs of slowing.

"Dome growth, once it starts, can go on for weeks, months, years, even decades," said Willie Scott, a geologist with the U.S. Geological Survey.

If the current growth rate continues, researchers estimate that within a decade Mount St. Helens could regain the size it had before the catastrophic 1980 eruption, in which the entire north side of the mountain collapsed, leaving a barren U-shaped crater. It is conceivable that within two years the rapidly-growing dome could push above the level of the south rim of the crater and become visible from Portland, Scott said.

As it stands, the new dome stretches 2,000 feet along the crater floor, and its highest point has risen 750 feet since the uplifting began in September.

Watch out Lassen Peak, Mt. St. Helens has the capability of growing to be the largest mountain in the continental U.S. Whatever it starts to do, i hope i can ride the Plains of Abraham trail (trail at the base of the volcano) again before i die.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
BLOW BABY BLOW! i dunno bout u, but i love when volcanos go BOOM! i know allot of monkeys live in seattle here though. so it might not be as a fun TV news experience for them.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
I've always felt a connection with Mt. St. Helens. It blew up on my 3rd birthday, and I grew up about 35 miles south of it. I've climbed it several times (you could see the dome steaming years ago even), hiked & biked there in the summer, skiied there in the winter, and would boat, ski, and swim in the resevoirs just south of the mountain. It was always my year round playground, and the place where I grew to love the outdoors. Yet, I never thought there would be much of a chance I'd see the dome peak over the rim in my lifetime, let alone regain its former height! I'm really excited to see how this pans out! Wouldn't it be ironic if St. Helens became the 12,000' peak and Hood or Adam's became the flat-top?

That'd be cool if it starts behaving like a Hawaiian or Vanawatu' volcano, where it is very stable for years on end and you can just go over and look at it. That'd be sweet to stand on the rim at dusk and see glowing lava oozing out of it! But for now, you can't even ski at marble mountain :(

Amazing!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
towelie said:
That'd be cool if it starts behaving like a Hawaiian or Vanawatu' volcano, where it is very stable for years on end and you can just go over and look at it.

Not likley. St. Helens is a basaltic type of Volcano with explosive eruptions and pyroclastic flows. It might be in a slow building stage now, but one day.....BOOM! Thats the way geology goes. :D

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
mack said:
BLOW BABY BLOW! i dunno bout u, but i love when volcanos go BOOM! i know allot of monkeys live in seattle here though. so it might not be as a fun TV news experience for them.
its definitely cool, but the portland-ites have a little more to worry about. the local geologists must love it....hey meatfoot- any input?

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
slowSSer said:
its definitely cool, but the portland-ites have a little more to worry about. the local geologists must love it....hey meatfoot- any input?
Nice if it grows slowly like the Hawaiian Island chain. St. Helens has and/or will erupt in a more violent manner. Ash and other ejecta are produced in violent eruptions. Glacial melt waters are also a problem, creating swift moving lahar flows and flooding in the lowlands. The Hawaiian islands are also basaltic, but they are being formed from basalt flows that ooze out onto the surface. Usually avoidable or just accepted.

Next up in room 113, Kinetics of Metamorphic Mineral Reactions. Followed by copious amounts of beer at the local pub.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
woah! I was just up motorcycling there on Tuesday. Well, tried anyway. Windy ridge, which is the best approach (in my opinion) was closed down about halfway up.