Quantcast

Mt Washington Race report

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
All you fools missed a great weekend of mud and sun.
We got up there in plenty of time for practice on Fri. We got at least 5 hours of riding. They keep the lifts open til 8. The course was awesome. Plenty of fast open sections but the majority of the course was tight woods with plenty of rocks and roots. There was only a tiny bit of mandatory pedaling (uphill).
Practice was fun on Sat but then the rain came. Race day was looking promising and the track was holding up. However, when racing started, the skys opened up. It was straight up pooring for the expert and pros. Many of us crashed, but that's racing.

The best part: After we got finished racing and got all showered up, the sun came out and the trails got perfect. We got another 2 hours of worry free runs on tacky dirt. A couple of 8 packs of wildcat later, and the weekend was through. Hope everyone makes it next year. Between this course and Sun Peaks, I'm torn over which course is more fun. They are both tied for the best course I've ever raced.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
I second that! Good times! Wahoo! I didn't crash on my race run! :thumb: We will be going for sure next year! Great course! Now I know why the Canadians are so damn fast! They have the real deal to ride over there!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
We all need to plan to get a monkey house next year. Im sad i couldnt go.....

Sounds like fun though.... even with some rain... we had a similar experience last year. Pissed rain all day for practice, then just before race time it cleared.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
oly said:

Sounds like fun though.... even with some rain... we had a similar experience last year. Pissed rain all day for practice, then just before race time it cleared.
I talked to several people that raced last year as well and they said that this races conditions were worse then last years! However...It was still fun and we did get to ride it when it was dry on Friday! I must say that my mud riding skills just went up 50% from that race!

Universe

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Courtenay, BC
oly said:

Ahem...screw the race, come ride the 'real' trails.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Universe said:
Ahem...screw the race, come ride the 'real' trails.
My wife has family on Gabriola, and she wants to spend Halloween there... maybe i could bring the bike, and take a day to ride with yous? Although, in not sure if my skills are up to the level...... :) .

Universe

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Courtenay, BC
oly said:
My wife has family on Gabriola, and she wants to spend Halloween there... maybe i could bring the bike, and take a day to ride with yous? Although, in not sure if my skills are up to the level...... :) .
I'm down. Skills aren't an issue. Keep me posted.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Universe said:
Oly whats the word on this...
Actually, i was meaning to PM you guys. Looks like the family trip wont happen. Her family we were going to stay with wont be there now. Im bummed, but i will make it up there with my bike one of these days for sure!!

-d