Quantcast

Mt. Willson Sunday Oct. 2nd 8am

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Let's get everything consolidated in one thread for an upcoming Mt. Wilson shuttle run.

When: Sunday Oct. 2nd 8am
Where: Parking lot at Windsor and Mountain View in Altadena. Exit Arroyo/Windsor and go north parking lot is approx 1 mile on the left. Windser Ave and Mountain View Street, Altadena, CA 91001 (click for Yahoo Map)
Who: Anyone that’s wants to do the 15 mile shuttle that is Mt. Wilson

The ride is about 15 miles and is 95% singletrack. There is some uphill so come prepared to do some P & P (pedaling & pushing). More than likely it will be hot so bring water. As Ciaran once put it "this isn't the The Collective" so don't wear jeans and hoodie. Be sure to bring an extra tube in case you flat. Actually more than likely Ciaran or TGreathead will need it :dead: Any burly bike will feel right at home on this trail. Full suspensions will get it done faster but hardtails are more than welcome.

We are meeting at 8am (don't worry guys I won't be late) in Altadena and plan on leaving by 8:20am. The location is below. Look for a 6'6" blonde guy on a Yeti AS-X, a guy in glasses on a Transition Preston aka TGreathead, or Ciaran; he has really long hair.

If you have any questions please post and one us will answer.

markskee

Chimp
Aug 26, 2005
Los Angeles
Is the run you speak of also refered to as the JPL run? ya know the one that is switch back single track with stairs on the turns and hikers on the straights.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
markskee said:
Is the run you speak of also refered to as the JPL run? ya know the one that is switch back single track with stairs on the turns and hikers on the straights.

Yes, yes, and sometimes. Last Sunday there was a huge group of hikers. You know the kind with masks over their face to keep out of the sun and ski poles in case it starts snowing.

This is the JPL run. The parking lot over looks it

There are tons of switch back with step downs. Hopefully I will be able to get them dialed in sometime soon.

Aside from one large group there were not many hikers last weekend. Most are super nice and step to the side. Even though they have right of way.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Argonzero said:
Any slow guys going?
Uhh... that'd be me. I think I'll take the hardtail out on sunday.

Don't sweat the speed or anything like that. It's not super aggro downhill, and there are many catch up spots. It's a great ride... a bit rocky in spots, some smooth flowy singletrack and those dang stairs in the middle of the switchbacks that seem to get everyone. :p

leDude

Chimp
Sep 2, 2004
this ride open to anyone? can i join...i'm more than willing to shuttle too, i got a siver tacoma, and a wilson run local...

i'm not the fastest...not the slowest either...so hows it go? can i join?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
leDude said:
this ride open to anyone? can i join...i'm more than willing to shuttle too, i got a siver tacoma, and a wilson run local...

i'm not the fastest...not the slowest either...so hows it go? can i join?

Just show up at 8 am, introduce yourself, and you're in!

Someone will be stopping at every trail intersection to make sure the group stays together. No need to worry about being slow or fast. The switch backs with step down get me everytime.

Scott

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
fiddy_ryder said:
fark it, im mos def in this is gonna be a riding weekend. ill be at the whoops saturday afteroon for a little session then for the shuttle 8 am sunday :dancing:
Nice, we're finally gonna get you out there. Sounds like we're gonna have a helluva crowd. I have yet to see another Preston in SoCal so if you see one its probably me.

I am usually the shuttle car up but I have something to get to as early as possible so I can't play shuttle van this time. On top of that I will probably have to be 'that guy' that takes off as soon as we're at the parking lot. I make up for it though from the last 3 times my car parked up top :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
tgreathead said:
Nice, we're finally gonna get you out there. Sounds like we're gonna have a helluva crowd. I have yet to see another Preston in SoCal so if you see one its probably me.

I am usually the shuttle car up but I have something to get to as early as possible so I can't play shuttle van this time. On top of that I will probably have to be 'that guy' that takes off as soon as we're at the parking lot. I make up for it though from the last 3 times my car parked up top :D
Since it's turning into a bigger group I would suggest that at least a few people wear bells (I'll have a few). If anyone has a truck and doesn't mind driving we'll be needing shuttles to the top. I can take us back up to get the cars but I can't fit but two bikes in my Honda.

Since we have a big group do we want to BBQ at a park (or the parking lot) or hit up a pizza or burger place after? I'll have an ice chest with beer. :D

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
i wont have time for a bbq but pizza and beer sounds good :D ill bring a 12'er of whatever to contribute. I have a car, no rack, unless i get one by then, so no bikes to the top for me. If we can figure out who has trucks/racks but come up short, I should be able to pick up a rack by sunday since I kinda need one anyway.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Ciaran said:
Since it's turning into a bigger group I would suggest that at least a few people wear bells (I'll have a few).
Bells for sure, I've got one for my handlebars.
Ciaran said:
Since we have a big group do we want to BBQ at a park (or the parking lot) or hit up a pizza or burger place after? I'll have an ice chest with beer. :D
Of course!! The one time I'll probably have to take off early. I'm fine as long as I'm on the freeway by 2. If we leave at 8:30, up top at 9, a reasonable time would be 3 hours. That puts us back at the lot an noon. If that sticks then I'm in for lunch :thumb:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
We'll send the three fastest guys down first and have them fire up a BBQ in the parking lot. Then when the rest of us make it down the burgers will be ready and th ebeer cold. :drool:

Just a thought. If everyones busy we can do it another day.

markskee

Chimp
Aug 26, 2005
Los Angeles
I will try to make it with one outher person 7:30 a.m. I will be in the parking lot. Black orange stinky monster T fork. We have our own car with racks for our bikes but can we get a ride from someone back to the top after the ride to get our car?

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
im currently setup for 8 speed tho.. tomorrow im gonna get a cassette removal tool and disassemble the hub to check it out and see what the eff is goin on

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
damn, wish you guys were doing this next weekend and not this one, my new DH bike will not be done until monday. Maybe we can do another big group on next saturday with BBQ and beverages? I hope! I have a truck and i can easily transport 6 bikes and 5 people, so i hope. Just can't make it this weekend :(

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I will be down there next week, so that would most likely work for me. Can you guys Figure the next date out soon, becasue my parents need to know ahead of time. Thanks, Patrick

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
tgreathead said:
I'm sure this will be the first of many Monkey shuttles to come...
Yeah, they die down in summer cause it's so hot. But come fall and winter there seem to be more. I personally like to host a shuttle and BBQ after at a local park. We'll be doing some of those later.

Next sat may be good for me, I have to check. I have some wedding stuff to take care of next weekend and then after that it is the wedding and honeymon time... I won't be back till Nov 4th.

Once it rains the mountain will be even nicer. And riding through snow is always fun too!

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
i took it to the shop,, had the tech test ride it and told the guy what was going on,, he said its just the spokes rubbing :D checked tension on em and some need to be re-tensioned. bought a spoke wrench so ill give em all snugging this afternoon and test it out at kenter later. see yall tomo w00t!! :D

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
Excellent ride today! 9 strong monkeys and no flats or mechanicals. A few crashes but no major carnage, my bike sliding 30feet down the hill was pretty funny though!
Ciaran, what happened? We missed you bro. Let me guess, you over slept, right?

Argonzero

Chimp
Nov 25, 2002
Garden Grove
Awesome to ride with so many experinced people, exactly what i was looking for. I certianly had a blast, glad I got to meet everyone... Lets plan more events!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Yeah, I overslept. :)

But I had The GF shuttle me up this afternoon. From the top all the way back to my apartment in 2 hours. Started at 4:45 and saw two other people the whole way down. I didn't make any stops, just rode the whole way down. What a blast!

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
yup mos def a good ride,, had blast and it was cool to meet the other monkeys. a bit rough on the hardtail but i made it out, one more reason to go out and add a full squisher to the stable :D