Quantcast

Mt. Wilson 10/9 8am

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Argonzero said:
Atleast the trails will be tacky for the next sunday! =D Are the rangers anal about riding in/after the rain up there at Wilson? BTW, can I get one of those head umbrellas in a full face version? :p
The rangers don't go out in the rain. :p Wilson is usually pretty cool since it's mostly rocks and loose gravel anyway. I'd say just use common sense.

And I think that if it does rain alot we can head up to Wilson and maybe make some "improvements" to the trails. :D

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Ciaran said:
The rangers don't go out in the rain. :p Wilson is usually pretty cool since it's mostly rocks and loose gravel anyway. I'd say just use common sense.

And I think that if it does rain alot we can head up to Wilson and maybe make some "improvements" to the trails. :D
Now you're talking...

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
yeah man, a few of those sandy turns need a burm to keep you from falling off the mountain. we just need to find like 100 lbs of kitty litter and mix it into the dirt while its wet. everything will pack up real nice.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
tgreathead said:
Now you're talking...
I was thinking that we could add some berms, some small jumps and drops... as long as we maintain them and put in a cheater line we should be OK. There are also, ahem... hidden areas we can also work with. Maybe find an alternate route to avoid the climbs. When you all ride this weekend keep an eye out for potential areas and features we can enhance.
skatetokil said:
yeah man, a few of those sandy turns need a burm to keep you from falling off the mountain. we just need to find like 100 lbs of kitty litter and mix it into the dirt while its wet. everything will pack up real nice.
With three cats I can probably come up with 100 pounds of USED kitty litter. :p

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
and if everyone picks up a folding camp shovel.. you could get that spot goin real nice like..im down for some *maintenance* next time out.

Argonzero

Chimp
Nov 25, 2002
Garden Grove
The trail itself is already insane enough without the addition of wind, rain, fog, mist, falling rocks, puddles, impromptu streams, washouts, landslides...... I wish I could go this weekend :(

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
You all may want to run the trail maintenance (improvements) by a Ranger, just see how he responds. There is a closed trail up there that bypasses the climb from Mt. Lowe to Sunset, but word on the street is that major fines are given IF caught. I'm sure they would love it if MTBers helped keep up the trails, just go about it the right way when attempting to cut new lines. May the force be with you!

solar

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
freerder56 said:
The trail your talking about is called Monkey Face , min fine 300.00. Rangers wacth from below with binoculars :nope:
Yes, this is true.

I would love to "improve" those trails too, but unless you're REALLY low profile it's just a bad idea.

Two years ago the whole Monkey Face thing got out of control and the "word on the street" was ALL mountain bikers would be banned from ALL of the trails in the San Gabriels.

Then, to make it worse, apparently a "DH" rider actually ran into a ranger on the trail, knocking him down, and booked it!!!

I'm sure you guys get this vibe already, but there's a group of hikers that are REALLY possesive about what they feel are "their" trails and that we are infringing on their right to enjoy them. That's a whole another story that I don't want to get into.
Check out this website: http://altadenatrails.org/index.html
I emailed these guys two years agot to ask about trail maintence: http://www.sgmtrailbuilders.org/
i shouldn't have mentioned that I mountain bike because I'm still waiting for a response.
These folks really watch these trails.

Also, there's been a ranger riding around on an MTB lately.
(I saw him climbing sunset a few weekends ago and he was HAMMERED!)

As tempting as it is, I wouldn't put a shovel to any of those trails unless you're clearing a landslide or something else dangerous, or if you have formal permission.

Now, those "hidden" areas>>>>> that's another story!!!

Sorry if this comes off as "preachy" or snobby, but us riding big bikes up there truly is a sensitive issue and "unathorized" "enhancements" may really set them off.

Let's use that building energy at Baldy!

Can't wait to ride w/ you guys or see you at Southridge.

Jeff

solar

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
I forgot to mention,
If anyone wants to help make any "enhancements" on a "trail" in another glendale/la cresenta area let me know and we'll check it out :evil: .
(feel free to PM me.)

I believe that this won't be a problem because no one hikes it and its not an official trail.
no static!
As soon as it rains its on!!!
Jeff

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
solar said:
I forgot to mention,
If anyone wants to help make any "enhancements" on a "trail" in another glendale/la cresenta area let me know and we'll check it out :evil: .
(feel free to PM me.)

I believe that this won't be a problem because no one hikes it and its not an official trail.
no static!
As soon as it rains its on!!!
Jeff
im in,, gonna do some work at the whoops tomo so the rain this weekend helps set it in. ill shoot you a pm too :thumb:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
fiddy_ryder said:
im in,, gonna do some work at the whoops tomo so the rain this weekend helps set it in. ill shoot you a pm too :thumb:
What time are you going out? Scott and I were thinking of popping by in the afternoon.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
tgreathead said:
What time are you going out? Scott and I were thinking of popping by in the afternoon.
grizzle is coming out with this time. i told him to be at my place at 9,, should be there before 10 hopefully,,, its gonna be hot as fukk again tomorrow..

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
fiddy_ryder said:
grizzle is coming out with this time. i told him to be at my place at 9,, should be there before 10 hopefully,,, its gonna be hot as fukk again tomorrow..
Ya, now I didn't realize its supposed to be so hot tomorrow. I guess I'll play it by ear.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
scratch that heat comment,, just checked weather again and wtf,, gonna be 20* cooler tomo? damn.. low 70s sounds much better then low 90s

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
fiddy_ryder said:
scratch that heat comment,, just checked weather again and wtf,, gonna be 20* cooler tomo? damn.. low 70s sounds much better then low 90s
I hadn't even looked. You're right, tomorrow should be nice.
I'm gonna try to get in a quick XC run in the morning with my wife. How long do you think you guys will stay up there?

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
id like to spend 2-3 hrs out there if possible. im guessin at least noonish or a bit after .. i dont have to be back to the house til round 3 anyway.