Quantcast

Mt. Wilson 10/9 8am

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Last week went off with a bang so we're doing it again (and probably every Sunday for that matter). Meet at the parking lot at 8am and we'll shuttle up.

If you will be coming and can shuttle bikes please post how many you can take. Here's the rundown as posted last time:

The ride is about 15 miles and is 95% singletrack. There is some uphill so come prepared to do some P & P (pedaling & pushing). More than likely it will be hot so bring water. As Ciaran once put it "this isn't the The Collective" so don't wear jeans and hoodie. Be sure to bring an extra tube in case you flat. Actually more than likely Ciaran or TGreathead will need it Any burly bike will feel right at home on this trail. Full suspensions will get it done faster but hardtails are more than welcome.

Click here to check out last weeks thread for directions, info and pics.

All skill levels are welcome as long as you don't complain about the uphills :thumb:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Argonzero said:
What happened to your shoulder?
He took a digger off a stepdown. To his credit he hit the others with ease, some soft ground got a bite of his front tire.

Good to hear you scored the full squish, you'll see it will make all the difference on the trail.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
well, get it if you can, but don't kill yourself over not having the full suspension. Ciaran had talked about using his hardtail next time we went up (of course he didn't show up last time... :mumble: )

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
props to bfranke for the delivery.. frame is nice and clean and in great shape,, and I got the player price with the RF cranks and Thomson post w00t!.. Brian,, i owe you a beer or three :thumb:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
fiddy_ryder said:
props to bfranke for the delivery.. frame is nice and clean and in great shape,, and I got the player price with the RF cranks and Thomson post w00t!.. Brian,, i owe you a beer or three :thumb:
Nice! Are you just swapping the build from the IH?

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
tgreathead said:
Nice! Are you just swapping the build from the IH?
wheels, controls,brakes. fork are moving over. the bullit came with RF prodigy dh cranks and the seat post. picked up a new FSA pig pro sealed headset to throw on it since the IH had a 1.5 steer. hopefully i can get the head set cups pressed on teh way home at my LBS.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
The BigHit's almost done, just slapping on a fun new fork tonight and it'll be good to go. I'll bring my camera again (wife's got the better one for the weekend but this one's alright) so be ready to strike a pose...in midair :D

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Argonzero said:
So im goign to head out there tomarrow, Taylor your going to be there for sure right?
Yup, me and another guy for sure. I don't know about anyone else that's totally confirmed. If you get there before me look for a silver Azonic Saber.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Good ride today aside from two things:
1. some dumb monkey forgot the memory card for his digital camera so he took crappy pictures with his camera phone instead. Lets just say his name rhymes with B-breathead:rolleyes:
2. the major crash had by Danny. He was going balls out and basically washed out on an off camber rock turn and dropped 20 or 25 feet to the trail below (bypassed the switchback). I took the photo looking down on him and the photo is totally out of perspective. He is literally 4 horizontal feet from me and 25 feet down. From the angle he fell it was straight down except for a rock formation halfway down. Looking down it looked like we were dealing with at least a broken leg, if not two. He shook it off and got up, totally fine. His back felt a little sore but he still rode the rest of the way down, just a little slower :thumb:

Redical sits on his bog wheel at the ruins

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
yeah, great ride guys. it's always hard to keep riding when you crash hard once at the beginning of a long ride, let alone twice. take care man, ya only got 7 lives left!

Argonzero

Chimp
Nov 25, 2002
Garden Grove
Awesome ride, I'm glad we didn't have to heli anyone out. Had a blast riding with you hardcore freaks man, especially Taylor... The way he shrugs off the harder stuff means he's gotta go big next time!

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Argonzero said:
Awesome ride, I'm glad we didn't have to heli anyone out. Had a blast riding with you hardcore freaks man, especially Taylor... The way he shrugs off the harder stuff means he's gotta go big next time!
Man, didn't know I was so fast :)
Seriously though, I was slower than the guys up front. You were keeping pace with me as long as it wasn't too rocky. But if a rockgarden appeared the sound of your bike slowly faded away...
You'll see, ride a full squish up there one day and things that bucked you off the pedals are a breeze. I felt a huge difference between the Preston (5", Romic) and the BigHit (8", DHX 5). The Preston just wasn't designed for that type of trail and thats more of what I'm getting into.
My new fork ships tomorrow so next time I might have to go a little faster :sneaky:

markskee

Chimp
Aug 26, 2005
Los Angeles
tgreathead said:
Good ride today aside from two things:
1. some dumb monkey forgot the memory card for his digital camera so he took crappy pictures with his camera phone instead. Lets just say his name rhymes with B-breathead:rolleyes:
2. the major crash had by (forgot your name, guy on the RMX). He was going balls out and basically washed out on an off camber rock turn and dropped 20 or 25 feet to the trail below (bypassed the switchback). I took the photo looking down on him and the photo is totally out of perspective. He is literally 4 horizontal feet from me and 25 feet down. From the angle he fell it was straight down except for a rock formation halfway down. Looking down it looked like we were dealing with at least a broken leg, if not two. He shook it off and got up, totally fine. His back felt a little sore but he still rode the rest of the way down, just a little slower.

His name is Danny and at the parking lot everything was still moveing but but starting to stiffin up. Hey after 2 crashes one over the bars to then tumble down a jagged rock garden and one huck to flat minus the bike and about 25ft. I would need a body cast and a bottle of the good stuff! But anyway he says he wants to come back out with you guys and that he had alot of fun and says you all were a great group of riders to hang with!!! See ya all soon.

solar

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
tgreathead said:
2. the major crash had by Danny. He was going balls out and basically washed out on an off camber rock turn and dropped 20 or 25 feet to the trail below (bypassed the switchback). I took the photo looking down on him and the photo is totally out of perspective. He is literally 4 horizontal feet from me and 25 feet down. From the angle he fell it was straight down except for a rock formation halfway down. Looking down it looked like we were dealing with at least a broken leg, if not two. He shook it off and got up, totally fine. His back felt a little sore but he still rode the rest of the way down, just a little slower :thumb:

I fell down that same little cliff two years ago.
The dead (thank god) yucca at the bottom slowed me down before I bounced off the lower trail and slid a little more.

The worst part was after I stopped sliding/falling, my bike's saddle hit me in the face!
The scary thing was I was by myself.
I think my camelbak saved me from serious injury.
Could have been sooo much worse.
My whole body was sore for about two weeks.

It seems like ALOT of people fall off that thing.
And yeah, the picture doesn't do it justice.
Glad to hear the rider was okay.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
I was planning my first trip out to Wilson this weekend. I live in Long Beach and have a truck if anyone needs a lift.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
offtheedge said:
I was planning my first trip out to Wilson this weekend. I live in Long Beach and have a truck if anyone needs a lift.
We'll probably be back there again, 8am Sunday as usual. I'll start a new thread if we're planning on it. And I'll make sure my camera works this time :rolleyes:

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
i wont be making it sunday morning.. got a bday bash sat night with lots o drinkin to do :D.. should be out sunday afternoon jumpin tho..

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
tgreathead said:
We'll probably be back there again, 8am Sunday as usual. I'll start a new thread if we're planning on it. And I'll make sure my camera works this time :rolleyes:
Cool, i look forward to meeting/riding with some new people.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
fiddy_ryder said:
big bear huh,, better bring the sled and poach a few runs :D
Actually they seem to be pretty lenient. Nargaredama went up Sunday and they let him and his AS-X w/170mm Breakout & 2.7 Minion up. It probably helped that he was dressed XC and had a similarly dressed riding buddy with an XC bike.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
tgreathead said:
Just saw its supposed to rain all weekend :eek:
Wilson is so fun in the rain. Seriously. It's all cloudy at the top and the rocks get slippery and it's nice and tacky on the singletrack. Go for it! Wear jeans, it's going to be all "North Shore" up there. :D

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Ciaran said:
Wilson is so fun in the rain. Seriously. It's all cloudy at the top and the rocks get slippery and it's nice and tacky on the singletrack. Go for it! Wear jeans, it's going to be all "North Shore" up there. :D
Sounds good to me. I was mostly giving Argonzero the heads up to bring rain gear to Big Bear. We'll probably be out there in the rain.

Now I just gotta find one of these :blah:

Argonzero

Chimp
Nov 25, 2002
Garden Grove
Atleast the trails will be tacky for the next sunday! =D Are the rangers anal about riding in/after the rain up there at Wilson? BTW, can I get one of those head umbrellas in a full face version? :p

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
fiddy_ryder said:
cmon rain!!! time to get to diggin up at the whoops.. i got afew ideas to add a couple of jumps and berms
Nargaredama and I have been talking about the same thing...

I might be out for Wilson on Sunday, possibly doing an XCish ride.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
id like to put a berm in to link that double in the middle of the trail (above the wall ride) to the outside bigger line of the side by side double on the right side. maybe build up the right side hip above those (where guys usually start off) and add another on the left (if theres room) right after to make another line.