Quantcast

Mt. Wilson 9/25 (pics)

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Headed up to Wilson again, another awesome ride. Perfect weather; sunny with clear skies at around 80 degrees. Yet again we neglected to stop and take pictures at some of the more photogenic spots that litter the mountain so Nargaredama and I took some quick pics while Ciaran patched a tube. I've made a point to carry a patch kit and spare tube since Ciaran is making a habit of flatting :thumb:
About 10 minutes later he flatted again but opted to just use my spare tube this time so he'd be good for the ride down El Prieto. Chalk it up to 2 tubes and a patch now that you owe me. Get Baldy rockin' and all will be forgiven :D
However the bungle of the day goes to me accidentally ditching them on the way to El Prieto. I rode the entire fireroad up (except for 30 feet in the middle, take that marlopez!!) and forgot to tell them to stay right at the fork. I waited 15 minutes before I called to find out that they were already back at the car due to the wrong turn. Sorry guys, now we have an excuse to go back again soon (like we needed one).
Ignore the 4 inch "drop" we took pictures at. Like I said, we were waiting for Ciaran to fix his flat and it was the only thing to ride in the immediate area.

Ciaran patches (note the RM jersey, a nice touch):

so I rock the massive 4 inches (the picture was snapped premature so you can't see the tailwhip I pulled):

but Nargaredama kills it with 4 inches down and 2 feet out. I think that makes it an 8 foot gap (2 x 4 = 8 right?):

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mtnbrider said:
Awsome huck spot!!
Dude! Totally an awsome huck spot! I hucked to flat so effing (pinkbike) big that I blew out my tire!

Nagaredama with the total freeride cut off t-shirt huck.

:p

We had a blast! The trail at Wilson was very fast for some reason. Maybe it was because my tires finally got over 20 psi. :D Not too many hikers... just one big group but they were at the top. I must be getting in better shape because I rode most of the uphills. :think: Next thing you know I'll be trading in the Cove and the super T for a 25 lb XC bike. ;)

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Ciaran said:
Dude! Totally an awsome huck spot! I hucked to flat so effing (pinkbike) big that I blew out my tire!

Nagaredama with the total freeride cut off t-shirt huck.

:p

We had a blast! The trail at Wilson was very fast for some reason. Maybe it was because my tires finally got over 20 psi. :D Not too many hikers... just one big group but they were at the top. I must be getting in better shape because I rode most of the uphills. :think: Next thing you know I'll be trading in the Cove and the super T for a 25 lb XC bike. ;)
Nargaredama had a long sleeve jersey on that he pulled off for the 'photoshoot.' I was getting really scared at the top since we encountered more hikers in the first mile than I've ever seen on the entire mountain. Guess it was one big group since we only passed a few later on.
If you sell the Super T you know who to call :thumb:

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
tgreathead said:
Nargaredama had a long sleeve jersey on that he pulled off for the 'photoshoot.' I was getting really scared at the top since we encountered more hikers in the first mile than I've ever seen on the entire mountain. Guess it was one big group since we only passed a few later on.
If you sell the Super T you know who to call :thumb:

Yeah, I had to ditch the moto-x jersey. My bike sponsors get mad when I'm biking and don't have the team jersey on. Exposure exposure exposure.

You guys want to do it again this Sunday? I won't be late this time.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Nagaredama said:
You guys want to do it again this Sunday? I won't be late this time.
Definitely. I start my new job today and don't know my complete schedule yet but I don't think I'll have to work Sundays. I'll let everyone know by Friday. And this time, flats or not, we'll stop at some better spots to take pictures.

Argonzero

Chimp
Nov 25, 2002
Garden Grove
Do you guys shuttle for Wilson? I'd like to join you guys if you dont mind a semi-noob. I ride an Imperial with a DC Sherman, I can make my way through almost anything technical but stop short large jumps and drops.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
d00d,, thats like a 8 ft huck to flat!!! you guys r0x0rZzz :D i really need to get out there soon, i ve been working on my pedalling :nuts:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
fiddy_ryder said:
d00d,, thats like a 8 ft huck to flat!!! you guys r0x0rZzz :D i really need to get out there soon, i ve been working on my pedalling :nuts:
The sad thing is that when you come out you realize how little pedaling there really is. People just like to whine. Come on out man, I walk the steep climbs anyway. It's not a sick nasty downhill, it's a very fun trailride.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
Ciaran said:
The sad thing is that when you come out you realize how little pedaling there really is. People just like to whine. Come on out man, I walk the steep climbs anyway. It's not a sick nasty downhill, it's a very fun trailride.
when are you guys planning to go again? and is there room for 1 more bike, i havent got a rack yet. My bike is now up to par for agressive trail riding with 6" sherman up front but its a hardtail :sneaky: i have the protective gear, im just being a puss. :nuts: been just jumping lately , are there any sweet jumps ?lol...

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
Argonzero said:
I have a Sherman DC on an Evil Imperial, so I'm in the same boat... I can't go real fast, but i'll make it through anything...
got the same fork on my IH yakuza :thumb: .. i grew up on bmx, this is my first bike with any type of suspesion.. balls to the wall and keep the knees bent :dancing:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
ya, you guys may not be able to blow over some rocky sections like us guys with the full squich but you could still ride everything.
There's not really any jumps, especially any like Kenter. There's a couple small stepdowns but thats about it. Mostly just a nice flowing technical trail. If we all ride it then at least the hardtail brothers can stick together :thumb:
I should be in for Sunday morning early if we want to do it then, I've gotta be home, showered, and in Thousand Oaks by 5 so if we're done by 3 I'm cool. Maybe an 8am meet?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Argonzero said:
I have a Sherman DC on an Evil Imperial, so I'm in the same boat... I can't go real fast, but i'll make it through anything...
I'd love to check that out. I was running a .243 with a Boxxer up front which was super fun. I find that hardtails at Wilson are super fun. Maybe I'll stick the Super T on the .243 for a while.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
yeah, tell me about it. Unfortunately, a couple things came from ironhorse really screwed up. Im trying to contact DW about it to see if he has any advice, but his pm's are full :( Among the problems was a busted left brake lever and a seized axle on the manitou kingpin. There are other issues, but i don't want to air my dirty laundry out in public.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Grizzle said:
I just got my new yakuza kamichu, tell me what you all think. Should be alot of fun on the wilson shuttle.
Damn, that think looks pretty nice. If we meet up I'll have to sit on it for a bit :D

Just found out I'm working Saturday so Sunday is a go for me.

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
Nice bike Grizzle, I especially like the reflector on the rear tire :p
You will enjoy Wilson much more on that versus the other bike when we rode it a few weeks ago. If my free-hucking plans fall through for Sunday then I'll probably meet up with you guys.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Aztomac said:
What days are u guys heading up? I live in LA, can somebody give me the directions to Wilson?
Depends on what you are doing. for the shuttles you take the 210 fwy to the ARROYO/WINDSOR exit and heads north (towards the mountains), parking lot is on your left about a half mile up, you can't miss it.

If you are going to pedal uphilll there are many different places to go.