Quantcast

Mt. Wilson: April Fool's Day Ride Report (x-post SoCal)

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
After waking up to rain April Fool's morning I figured my plans to shuttle Wilson were pretty much done. Thankfully the rain stopped at 9:30 and after a couple phone calls to my Mt. Wilson geological expert :-)Solar:) gave me the thumbs up to ride the upper half. I quickly got the bike ready and told TGreathead to meet at the JPL parking lot around noon.

Arriving at Red Box made me second guess my decision to ride. Outside temperature gauge in the car said it was 45 degrees. There was about 8 XC guys dressed in full rain gear. I was a bit worried they knew something about the weather we didn’t. All I had for rain gear was the cheapo from the LA Marathon bike ride.

Once we got riding to riding down things warmed up a bit. Trail was in killer condition and pretty much devoid of hikers. We had to skip Sunset below the horse trail due to mud.

It turned out to be an awesome day to ride. Cool temps and pretty much deserted trails lead to a very good time.

Here are the pictures. Sorry for the lack of action shots.

Heading up the Crest

Me enjoying the view right after the tunnel. Damn that large AS-X looks tiny underneath me!

Gotta go up a bit to go down.

Rusted sign at the trail head.

Getting ready to go down into the intermittent fog.

Fun little roll in and drop (to the right). Tried to work up to the bigger drop on the right (not really visible) but took the bail out route. Next time...

TGreathead thinking about hucking it...

Me pushing up and going down

Sign at the base of the trail that leads to Mt. Lowe.

View from Mt. Lowe.

Gotta climb up the former Mt. Lowe Railway.

After climbing up the former railway you get to hit Sunset trail.

The only flat of the day. That free Minion is worthless unless it is a wire bead!

Sunset off the Crest on the way down from picking the car up.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Nice report. I just found this searching. I love the singletrack on that trail. It's so fast and flowy.

Cool pics. What camera are you using? Eventually, I want to get a little digital camera to take on rides (I am not downhilling with my 20D :D).